89 TGP Stock Stereo Location?

Penglii

I am trying to put an aftermarket deck in my 89 TGP, to replace the factory tape deck.

Being an 89 it has the split head unit... I got the radio and the cassette units out, and I found the 'performance sound' amp for the door speakers... but I cannot find the head unit.

Do I have to take the dash most of the way apart to get to it?

OK, so I did a bunch of searching on TGPforums and found one relevant post... apparently the stock radio guts are mounted behind the Glove Box.

Definitely not where I would have guessed...

Yea you will have to make a extension harness to go up to the radio location.

I have a long harness adapter from when I had the stereo in my 94 Grand Prix, it ended up being way too long for that car so it might be long enough for the TGP... but I'll find out for sure soon enough.

Thats probably the one for the TGP, i know at one time they made a extension harness for those cars. But i couldnt find anything from Metra so im assuming its been discontinued.

Thats probably the one for the TGP, i know at one time they made a extension harness for those cars. But i couldnt find anything from Metra so im assuming its been discontinued.

It very well could be... it seems like it will be long enough if i route it right... but just barely. Plugging it into the back of the head unit might be rather tricky.

Metra still makes it, but you may need to use one for a corvette/cadillac.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120701858L/GM-Receiver-Wire-Harness.html?tp=2977

That's the crutchfield equiv. of what you need. The actual Metra part # is 70-1855 Tuner Relocation Harness:

http://retailer2.installationexcellence.com/productfeatures.aspx?retailerid=1944&productid=2269&sid=FC6F5D77-47C3-456B-8BED-92A700976CCD&vehicleid=215601

If you need a longer version of the above harness, the # is 70-1856 and it takes it from 60" long to 17'

http://retailer2.installationexcellence.com/productfeatures.aspx?retailerid=1944&productid=2270&sid=FC6F5D77-47C3-456B-8BED-92A700976CCD&vehicleid=184735

Edited by alec_b

If I cut a small hole in the bottom of the radio housing, I can just, but just barely, get my current wiring harness to work. So that should be OK for now.

However, in the future I'm sure I will get bored and remove the old stereo guts, rather than just bypassing them and shoving the wires off to the side.

When I do so, I'll need to get *behind* the radio housing to access that wiring better... does that housing come out on it's own, or does the entire front trim panel (with the vents in it) need to come off?

• 4 months later...

Don't mean to bump this post, but rather than creating another topic, how did you get to the head unit? I want to put an aftermarket radio in mine but I can't find it. I hear it clicking behind the glove box but I dont see it.

Kinda... you have to remove the glove box door (screws are in the hinges) and then remove the screws that hold the box in place... they are pretty easy to find. You might have to take the radio bezel off to get to the left hand pair though.

When you pull the box out be careful not to pull too hard, pull it out like halfway... then unclip the bulb wiring, then pull it out the rest of the way.

Alright I got to it, and put in 2 different radios, both have pretty bad radio quality. Last week I broke the antenna off at the stud by accident, and I replaced the little antenna mount with one from the junkyard, by some stretch of the imagination, can those be "bad"?

How bad is the reception? The tuners in aftermarket radios are usually not as strong as factory. If the antenna base is rusty i would try to sand all the rust off as that may be causing the problem. Also check to make sure the antenna wire is good between the tuner behind the glovebox and the radio. There is a disconnect in there so make sure it didnt come loose.

How bad is the reception? The tuners in aftermarket radios are usually not as strong as factory. If the antenna base is rusty i would try to sand all the rust off as that may be causing the problem. Also check to make sure the antenna wire is good between the tuner behind the glovebox and the radio. There is a disconnect in there so make sure it didnt come loose.

I tried 3 different radios. Original, a Delco CD player, and my JVC radio, all have static. Its worse now than ever. I can only get like 3 stations that come in good enough to not be irritated by the static (still has static, just not as bad). Other stations are nothing but fuzz.