an odd problem with the STE?

Jeorge

okay I have Brand new Tires and Struts on my STE being less then 5000 miles on it.

its been allined and everything.

How ever today I noticed at about 130MPH while PLaying with a C5 {bty people look at you weird when they are in a vette and you stay right next to them at 140mph with two empty child seats in the back}

but my car seemed to want to Drive sideways like it was being Pushed or like it wanted to dog walk down the Road. I noticed this once before and it was odd but everytime I hit about 130 she does this or feels like it is. and always wants to go to the drivers side. not enough to scare you but enough that you notice.

when the needle is to the end where about 135-140 is it seems fine again. its just at 130-135.it wants to do this, what would cause this? could it be something with the hood bra or the Sunroof?

oh and for those of you who dought that it goes that fast my STE has been clocked at 142 MPH now. its nice to have friends in the Right area. my old top end last summer was 138 but now I have new coil packs in it and a tune up.

now for the motor build,

but Im wondering if like a rear bushing that bra or sunroof could be causing this I dont want to waist all winter rebuilding the motor to more HP if I have to worry about biffing it at 150+

three suggestions:

1. DRIVE THE POSTED SPEED LIMITS!!!

2. Put the car on 4 scales (one under each wheel) and see how the weight is ballanced / not ballanced.

3 Check the drag on your brakes. If nothing else take temp readings from each wheel after one of your 100+ blasts to see if a brake is dragging / wheel bearing going bad, etc.

The STE's are soo rare & you have 2 children now......

three suggestions:

1. DRIVE THE POSTED SPEED LIMITS!!!

2. Put the car on 4 scales (one under each wheel) and see how the weight is ballanced / not ballanced.

3 Check the drag on your brakes. If nothing else take temp readings from each wheel after one of your 100+ blasts to see if a brake is dragging / wheel bearing going bad, etc.

The STE's are soo rare & you have 2 children now......

I have 1 that is mine and I always seem to have the G/F's or Ex G/Fs kid with too....

the Brake thing might be it because I noticed that the back brake does squeek for a sec of 10 when I first start off in the car every morning

What's the rating of your tires? I have goodyear eagle gs-c 245/50/zr16's on my car, and at 120 it's smooth. You should check to see if your tires can handle those speeds. Also drive slower, lol, I don't think i'll go any faster than 120, even if my govener was off, I don't trust the things around me, might crash.

It sounds strange that it is there and when you go faster it corrects. I would be thinking one of the bicycle tires that are on the TSTE might be the cause. Never saw a TSTE sized tire that was rated above 120MPH... 8)

sounds like a tire thing to me... and once you pass that little hump, you're basically riding on luck :lol:

my truck did that with its bald ass rear tires, at 140km/h it was kinda loose, and didn't want to stay proper, but at 150km/h it fixed itself, when I got new tires for the rear, I never had any problems.

also, make sure the air pressure in each tire is at the proper amount, or at least, make sure that the left and right sides are the same (front/back can be different)

(I'll think of more later :lol: )

check tire pressure first, though...

Well I went from the Small 215's to a 225 and they are Rated V at 149mph

and all set at 42 psi with a 44 psi max

The Reason I ask if it could be the Sunroof is I have a Broken plastic clip in the Track from my Ex opening it in the winter 2 years ago so one side goes up 1/2 inch more then the other. and if i dont put the Sunroof up when going that fast I pops open on its own at 100 and will startle you if you are not expecting it.. I hate the Factory Sunroof let me tell you.

it leaks it never shuts Right and the damn thing is so slow to open when opening it all the way and closeing it I have to help it because of that clip it trys to go sideways a bit and jams...of couse that could be because of the 143K miles and me opening it everytime I get in it and Drive....

could be that... I don't have a sunroof, so I can't experiment... plus, I can't go that fast, lol, damn governor.

42PSI? seems kinda high.... the door states like 32 or something, doesn't it? I have 225/60/R16's on my Z and I run 32PSI...

could be that... I don't have a sunroof, so I can't experiment... plus, I can't go that fast, lol, damn governor.

My Car is still Governed, its just at about 140-143 before the tune up and the K&N I could only squeez 138 out of her. but still not bad for a 3.1 with 142,944miles on it checked it today when I got back.

42PSI? seems kinda high.... the door states like 32 or something, doesn't it? I have 225/60/R16's on my Z and I run 32PSI...

I tired it with 32psi 35psi 40psi and I found that on my car 42 is the best with out feeling like im driving on Jello my tires are Rated at 44psi so its okay to have them that High, belive me I notice the differance when I have low tires.

My Car is still Governed, its just at about 140-143 before the tune up and the K&N I could only squeez 138 out of her. but still not bad for a 3.1 with 142,944miles on it checked it today when I got back.

I tired it with 32psi 35psi 40psi and I found that on my car 42 is the best with out feeling like im driving on Jello my tires are Rated at 44psi so its okay to have them that High, belive me I notice the differance when I have low tires.

trunk says 30PSI, lol, only works for factory :roll:

and from the factory, the 3.1 is governed at like 112MPH or something... I think, less than my Z anyway, so you're not governed.... it's just the top speed of your car :lol: power is pretty much the only thing keeping you from going faster :wink:

Guest fatguy

Jeorge,

My TSTE does the exact same thing. When I made my top speed run, 130-135 was flat scarry. Then it was like glass. I actually reached down and reset the avg speed deal to see how fast I was going. Right now I am in a vehicle dynamics class and will pose this question to the class on Friday. My guess is though, that at those particular speeds, there is a natural frequency in the body due to wind resistance and since the rear end is softer sprung than the front, the body is rolling and giving some positive camber on the outside tire. With the crown in the road and this camber gain, the rear bumper is trying to switch ends with the front. For more on this, investigate what really killed the Corvair. It is fundamental vehicle dynamic principle that we haven't covered, but will in the next couple of weeks.

BTW, I have z rated 245's on my car, no sunroof, no bra and hit 160(according to avg speed deal). GOTTA LOVE PORTED HEADS!!!!!!!!!!

Note: That look is so much better from the ricers. I have 1 car seat, and for some reason it's perceived as slow! :lol:

I thought TGP's were governed at 128mph?!?!?

acctually my car is Goverened I can only get it to Rev to like 4800-5000 in OD.... but in all others she will rip though the 5500 red line and shift at 5800-6000 if IM really really on it.

whats with the car seats well I can tell you its not a GoKart thing{civic,del-so, ect.} its a Family car thing nothing like spanking some riced out civic with car seats in the back then just telling them whats-amater your car still and econobox, upgrade to a 4 door family car sucker....okay maybe not but still...

and as for Z's being goverened at 112 nananana

J/K my friend acctually has a 95 Z and I can spank him above 30 MPH that first gear they have is killer..he gets the jump untill I hit 3K then IM up and over.

and TGP's are governed...most of them.. I have a stock {except the k&N} non chiped 143K mile factory freak.

I also have the earlyest Vin in a TSTE knows thus far If I remember when compairing last year...

ummm, dude... if a Z gets a jump on you off the line, it's either majorly modded, a factory freak, or it's a 5-speed swap, or something is seriously wrong with your TGP.

Z34's are almost completely GUTLESS before 3400RPM (conspiracy! 3.4 litres, 3400RPM!)

and a factory Z is governed at 125MPH

ummm, dude... if a Z gets a jump on you off the line, it's either majorly modded, a factory freak, or it's a 5-speed swap, or something is seriously wrong with your TGP.

its Stock, but his Breaks will hold him back to 3K Mine I can only go to about 2100 before they let loose. its a 4 spd auto monte carlo

Z34's are almost completely GUTLESS before 3400RPM (conspiracy! 3.4 litres, 3400RPM!)

and yeah his is gutlass too but he can start it at a higher RPM my stall is only a 1350 I think and my breaks Suck so I have to get above the Lag point in order to pull on him

and a factory Z is governed at 125MPH

His is Governed at 107 in OD but will go past the 120 on the speedo but even in Dive at 100 if I want to pass him I have no Problems.

and no I dont race on the steets that there are people on there is a Hwy around here 25miles long that goes to the middle of nowhere they even have the 1/4 mile marked off..it only gets used if you are going to do Runs as though it seems

its Stock, but his Breaks will hold him back to 3K Mine I can only go to about 2100 before they let loose. its a 4 spd auto monte carlo

Z's brake torque to 2K RPM, almost dead even

and yeah his is gutlass too but he can start it at a higher RPM my stall is only a 1350 I think and my breaks Suck so I have to get above the Lag point in order to pull on him

even without the trubo, a 3.1 will beat a DOHC off the line, even if the 3.1 isn't doing the brake torque

His is Governed at 107 in OD but will go past the 120 on the speedo but even in Dive at 100 if I want to pass him I have no Problems.

OD isn't so much governed, as much as the engine isn't powerful enough to keep turning it over, since it's a tall gear (my theory, anyway)

and no I dont race on the steets that there are people on there is a Hwy around here 25miles long that goes to the middle of nowhere they even have the 1/4 mile marked off..it only gets used if you are going to do Runs as though it seems

personally, I don't mind where people race, as long as you're not stupid about it ;) I usually race on the highway, but we don't have the 1/4 marked off or anything >_<

and when we do race in town, it's usually on the roads with no houses within reach, and no intersections for a long way, and they're usually somewhat blocked off...

personally, I don't mind where people race, as long as you're not stupid about it ;) I usually race on the highway, but we don't have the 1/4 marked off or anything >_<

and when we do race in town, it's usually on the roads with no houses within reach, and no intersections for a long way, and they're usually somewhat blocked off...

No Comment :wink:

and yes aslong as people are not stupid about it...

and My Friends Z kicks out at 107 kind of like my STE does when I over boost. it shuts the rpms down for a sec just to slow it down.

and yeah I race on the Hwy too...come on whats the point in having a sumwhat quick car if you cant play right...

at 112.5MPH, in OD, my Z stops accelerating. it doesn't hit the fuel cut off or anything, it just stops accelerating. the RPM's in OD are at like 3K at that speed, not gonna hit the fuel cut off

at 112.5MPH, in OD, my Z stops accelerating. it doesn't hit the fuel cut off or anything, it just stops accelerating. the RPM's in OD are at like 3K at that speed, not gonna hit the fuel cut off

that would be the governer. they have more then enough power to pull past that if the computer would let it.....

whats odd is my car at 60 sits at 1900-2000 rpm and at 80 sits at 2400-2500....and at 100 about 3000...

that would be the governer. they have more then enough power to pull past that if the computer would let it.....

whats odd is my car at 60 sits at 1900-2000 rpm and at 80 sits at 2400-2500....and at 100 about 3000...

so in therory**spelling** I could go to 200MPH at 6000 RPM, but then again comunizum works in therory**spelling**

so in therory**spelling** I could go to 200MPH at 6000 RPM, but then again comunizum works in therory**spelling**

just because you can't accelerate doesn't mean it's governed :lol:

my truck could go 150km/h in 4th but only 140km/h in 5th, and it had a fuel cut off so you didn't blow the engine, and that's it. if the truck was more powerful, it could've hit 200km/h, then the tranny would've been maxed, but it didn't have the power to go any faster.

I don't count OD as governed, because if you can go 125/200 in Drive, then you should be able to go just as fast in OD, it would just take you longer to get there

Guest fatguy

160 = 5800 RPM in OD. Filter, hand ported and blended heads, 160 Chip and Stat with air temp of 40 deg. What makes things tough is the air resistance on the car. The resistance increase by (velocity)^2. You are using so much power to break wind that you can't accelerate any faster.

I'm spoiled with 60 to 70 mile stretches of untraveled, straight highways

• 1 month later...
Guest Gp crazy

You guy's are doing something right if you havent crashed yet. i was just curious how much horse power and what rpm's your pulling ? :verymad:

and if you are running a 5 speed transaxle 8)

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm estimated at just over 4000 Horsepower :lol: But that's only because of my yellow corrugated tubing. And I for one AM running a 5 sp, but your only gonna get that same answer from 1 other person on this board. Eh, Luke?