• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• RobertISaar

• alec_b

• tornado_735

havn't heard piston slap in your particular engine but in toyota and honda piston slap sounds just like a loose rocker or stuck lifter and isn't usually audible at idle until it gets a lot of play and gets increasingly louder with rpm to a point. this symptom is a very constant. usually will not be noticable until engine starts to warm. but i'm probally wrong, just a thought.

This is audible the moment you start up the engine. Actually, before it became constant, it would be louder during idle and go away as the engine warmed up and become very intermittent. Check the videos earlier in this thread.

At this point, I'd give it full insurance, then drive it off of a cliff a few months later.

Oh, right, so I could get back $1500 from insurance based on its KBB value. :roll: Contrary to what you might believe, this car isn't a piece of crap.

I know what you would do, but you're different, and you seem to miss the fact that this car costs me less per mile than any newer car I could buy. The number is still at a constant 25 cents a mile, including original purchase price, gas, insurance, mods, accidents, all repairs and upgrades, sound system, and even steering wheel covers. That, and prior to my burned valve, it was running perfectly fine. I'm not exactly scared to spend the half an hour it will take me to remove the LIM, figure out what the problem is, and put it back together.

The number is still at a constant 25 cents a mile, including original purchase price, gas, insurance, mods, accidents, all repairs and upgrades, sound system, and even steering wheel covers. That, and prior to my burned valve, it was running perfectly fine. I'm not exactly scared to spend the half an hour it will take me to remove the LIM, figure out what the problem is, and put it back together.

WIN sauce.

definately don't trash your car that is crazy talk:p????? seems as though you will tear into it before long and find the actuall culprit since you are planning to replace the lifters anyway. i don't guess you hammer on her much do you?:burnout:

definately don't trash your car that is crazy talk:p????? seems as though you will tear into it before long and find the actuall culprit since you are planning to replace the lifters anyway. i don't guess you hammer on her much do you?:burnout:

Found the source of the problem. Lets just say I'll put it back together with a new lifter and start saving money for the L67 swap. I have a feeling its a matter of when, not if, this problem will come back again. Pictures to come soon.

The roller on the lifter grenaded.

The fact that they're roller lifters gives me an advantage. Because they're roller lifters, they'll be rolling over those scratches, not rubbing against them, so I'll be able to put it back together and drive it for a while longer before something serious happens.

Then again, I have absolutely no clue where those broken pieces are I'm not sure if that roller cracked then started splitting apart, or if a chunk broke out of it. There's a LOT of play in the roller, so my impression is that it cracked and started splitting, and as it split, it got wider, and cracked the edge off of the roller. I can only hope this is the case, because that reduces the number of metal shards just sitting (hopefully) at the bottom of the oil pan. You will notice in the comparison that the good lifter roller is much smaller in diameter than the one that grenaded. I cannot verify the height of the cam lobe, but it feels similar to the other ones. Its not flat, so the engine will still run just fine...till the scratched cam lobe starts causing problems, if it ever does. I'm crossing my fingers.

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

It was extremely difficult to get a good picture of the cam, but I have a few, and the last picture is of another lobe that wasn't damaged.

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

In any case, my options are slim. I can get a new cam, or put that $350 toward a new engine. I think I'm just going to put it all back together with a good lifter, drive it as long as I can, get the jaguar fixed as a replacement daily driver, and start saving for that L67 swap.

Edited by xtremerevolution

i've done the L67 swap so when you get ready if you have any problems just ask i will be more than happy to help! wiring is a bitch! good time for oil change. bet you find some of your missing parts.

i've done the L67 swap so when you get ready if you have any problems just ask i will be more than happy to help! wiring is a bitch! good time for oil change. bet you find some of your missing parts.

Still deciding if I will swap the engine myself or if I'll have someone else do it for me. Not too sure.

ive heard that swap start to finish in your area going for about $3500.00

It would be cheaper for me to buy a 2nd gen grand prix GTP for that price.

Come to think of it, my cousin bought his for $2500, and in California at that.

I'd recommend you do it yourself. I've seen examples of your work posted here, and I don't think most mechanics are going to measure up to your standards...

Secondly, it will cost much less to do it yourself.

Thirdly, even at $3500.00 for an L67 swap, you know the rest of the car well. You could easily spend much more than that on undiscovered problems with another car.

Glad you found the problem...I don't think I've ever seen a lifter self destruct like that before...

I'd recommend you do it yourself. I've seen examples of your work posted here, and I don't think most mechanics are going to measure up to your standards...

I agree. Do it yourself; based on the projects you've tackled, you can definitely swap a motor.

That lobe really is beat, but after seeing the lifter I'm surprised it wasn't completely wiped out! It'll definitely cause problems later on, but like you said, not too many options (I know how that is). Hey, at least when it does act up again, at least you'll know what it is :laugh:

The only thing that annoys me is my lack of resources. I don't have an engine lift or a truck to use to get the engine. I also have no idea how to do the wiring. I guess I'll start looking into it.

Sweet baby Jesus!!!

I'm going to be optimistic, and bet that you're not going to have as many problems as you might think out of that engine. They're tough old bastards. I'd change the oil, upgrade to a bigger filter, and call it a day.

Sweet baby Jesus!!!

I'm going to be optimistic, and bet that you're not going to have as many problems as you might think out of that engine. They're tough old bastards. I'd change the oil, upgrade to a bigger filter, and call it a day.

Not much you can do as far as upgrading the lifter. I can just replace it with a spare that I have and hope for the best. Its not the lifter that worries me, but rather the pieces of metal that came off the old lifter. I'm sure I could put in a good lifter and go another 10k miles before that lifter starts giving me problems.

sweet baby jesus!!!

lol

lol

Damn, I'm not seeing things right today. Lifter, Filter, same thing, lol.

I just thought of something else. The rollers on the lifters have needle bearings, didn't they? Is that small rod I found one of those needle bearings? If so, where are the rest of them?

xtreme:

I was hoping you wouldn't ask...because you probably don't really want to know.:confused:

Hard to know for sure...I'd be tempted to pull the oil pan, and clean it out, just to be safe...but that's me. There's a good chance that whatever it shredded is down in the pan...it might never cause a single problem, but then again, it might.