missing convertible relay

rocketman350

I need a little expertise in electronics for my '95 vert. I have two of these cars both '95's. I originally bought the red car for parts for the green car but it was too good to tear apart except for the top and consequently the carpet. The top will not operate on the red car. I have swapped all the components including the pump from the red car to the functional green car and it's top works. Checked all the grounds mentioned in the factory manual's diagrams and they are good. So the problem is probably a short or some other component, but what? I saw some other convertible relay on Auto Zone's web site, and bought one, but I can't find it in the car. I might add that I have dismantled 90% of the interior so it doesn't have many places to hide. Does anyone have any suggestions/solutions?

The '95 will have two relays for the top. One under/behind the rear seat and the other will be along to driver side door sill/kick panel. Do you have power at the top switch?

• 3 months later...

A savvy friend and I have solved this problem and I thought I would share the solution. There are two circuits that control the top ( sunroof in sedans and coupes). They are 6 and 19 accessible from the passengers door fuse box. Circuit 19, which is hot at all times, feeds the folding top switch. The wire is a 16ga orange wire that runs from the harness connector on the passengers side towards the rear of the car then across the passenger compartment directly behind the front seats. It runs between the drivers seat and the door jamb and then in front of the driver's seat to the folding top switch. This wire had a short or break in it. I still have to replace this wire but running a jumper to bypass this wire sent power to the pump motor. I am restoring this car and removed the interior save for the drivers seat which made tracing the wire easy. Note that there is a heavier gauge orange wire in that trunk so make sure you test the correct one. Hope this helps someone.