3-stage boost control?

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

my brother was telling me of a guy on the turbododge.com forum that has a pretty interesting boost control setup....sounds pretty complicated but i'll try to relay the info.

he has a toggle switch up on the dash that has 3 settings, one in the middle, one upper, and one lower. when the switch is in the middle posistion, he has full manifold pressure to his adjustable wasgegate, which he gets 10psi with. now if he pushes the toggle switch to the up posistion, it switches a vacuum relay (? i'm an idiot on these things as of yet) inside the engine bay and the wastegate sees a different vacuum source - a grainger valve set to 16psi. the lower switch setting again sends a different vacuum source via a grainger valve set to 24psi (!). however, in order to make the upper and lower switch settings operate the pedal must be to the floor, IOW, WOT :) has anyone heard of this or has anyone used a grainger for boost contol on the TGP? i fully intend to do it with mine, probably set to 10psi....(i'm using one on my GTS too).

joshua

I don't have a grainger valve on my TGP, but I did make a couple for my friends. They are very easy to make and are one the best forms of boost control due to it's ball/spring setup. I'm putting in a 2-stage boost controller in my friends SR20DET powered Sentra. He's going to run the stock wastegate boost(7.5 psi) with the vacuum switch from his old EGR valve, and then the other will be whatever he sets the grainger valve to. It's really easy to set it up as it's only a couple of vacuum lines. Just make sure thet when you make a grainger valve that you have a .040" vent hole for the boost to vent out so it doesn't get stuck in between the valve and wastegate actuator. Otherwise your wastegate can get stuck open, and that would suck if you were racing someone. 8)

See, I think we need to talk about this more. I really want to eliminate the computers ability to control boost on this thing. Not so I can run 22PSI, but because I THINK IT HAS NO GODDAMN IDEA WHAT IT WANTS TO DO. I have proved that since the fuel cut does not work as it's supposed to (I can hold 16 psi for a few seconds before it will cut.) What are our choices if we want to eliminate the wastegate actuator? I don't really have the money to spend on an MBC but more than one person said that we need to get rid of that vacuum canister. :lol: I would like to go the Grainer way, but don't know how to make one. If I can make one I don't want to give someone else the money to do it for me. The boost selector idea is great, I posted a little bit ago about a boost selector that is in my car (but doesn't work). If you guys could go look, I can take pic's N stuff if that'll help. It's just hard to get people to race when your car is hissing all over the place. 4.5 psi would be nice when you are trying to get someone to race.

my friends SR20DET powered Sentra

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yeah, that's car scares me!!! :twisted:

He ran a 14.2 on 8 psi, and it wasn't even running right(rich). He just got an safc and we're in the process of tuning it right now. He also just put S3 cams in it, if you know what they are. Anyways, I can't even touch the thing in with my TGP. :(

my friends SR20DET powered Sentra

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yeah, that's car scares me!!! :twisted:

He ran a 14.2 on 8 psi, and it wasn't even running right(rich). He just got an safc and we're in the process of tuning it right now. He also just put S3 cams in it, if you know what they are. Anyways, I can't even touch the thing in with my TGP. :(

:shock: :shock: :shock: and more :shock:

SR20DET powered anything, would spank a TGP.... most likely... o.o

that's the Skyline engine, basically, which, used to be (and probably still is) Japan's fastest production car... *thinks* I'm pretty sure it's the Skyline engine, anyway.... the only difference would be a bigger # anyway :lol:

It's not the skyline engine, that's the RB26DETT. That's a twin turbo straight 6. This is a single turbo 4 banger, but still an awesome engine. I've seen one make 419 HP at the wheels with the stock pistons(8.5:1), stock crank, and stock connecting rods!!! :shock: :shock:

Guest TurboSedan

i saw an online movie clip that showed a SR20DET powered Sentra completely waste a new supercharged Cobra. they raced a few times and the Sentra would just sandbag the Cobra each time......till one of the spark plugs in the Sentra broke off......from the looks of the movie clip i don't think the Sentra's turbocharger liked eating that at all :lol: damn fast car tho. talk about a sleeper :!:

joshua

Sentras have very little weight, and with the old SE-R's coing stock with the SR20de, it's easy to turbo them and make HUGE HP. There are some out there that are pushing over 500whp on the stock bottom ends.

As far as using the G-valve on the TGP, I've tried that(used the old one from the Dayona), and can say they really dont like them. They are really hard to tune on the TGP, and tend to spike more than on the TD's. I would hold off and go with an electronic unti. I have a profec-b in mione and I can ay it was 300 well spent.

Guest TurboSedan

As far as using the G-valve on the TGP, I've tried that(used the old one from the Dayona), and can say they really dont like them. They are really hard to tune on the TGP, and tend to spike more than on the TD's. I would hold off and go with an electronic unti. I have a profec-b in mione and I can ay it was 300 well spent.

cool, i've been wanting to hear from someone who has tried a g-valve on their TGP. sounds like it's probably harder to tune due to the turbo being just too small and there is hardly any lag anyway? my TD on the other hand has a bigger Garrett T03 and that's on a 2.2L 4 cylinder! i'm assuming it has more lag than a TGP....i've never ridden in a TGP or TGP powered vehicle yet :?

they seem to work great on the TD's....doesn't sound like that may be the case with the TGP tho. i'll still try it out :wink: i wouldn't tune it (raise boost) without a boost gauge and A/F gauge tho....

joshua