A few questions regarding brakes and turn signals

manifoldsrme

OK, so I have had my 90 TGP about 2 months now and I am just starting to make it road worthy. I had to replace the PMIII and that went well and I have brakes now and the red brake light on the dash went out. Now however, I have no brake lights and when I turn the turn signal on to turn right the light signal just stays on in the dash. Can these 2 issues be related, did I miss something on the PMIII install that could be affecting this? Also, a few wisps of white smoke have come out of my column on ocassion when starting the car.

The wisps of smoke would also indicate a turn signal switch. Does your 3rd brake light still come on when you hit the brakes? That doesnt go through the turn signal switch, but i think the brake lights in the tail lights do.

If I replace the turn signal switch, could this also fix my no brake lights problem or are they seperate issues?

Pretty sure separate.

The wisps of smoke would also indicate a turn signal switch. Does your 3rd brake light still come on when you hit the brakes? That doesnt go through the turn signal switch, but i think the brake lights in the tail lights do.

they are definitely separate issues ONLY on 1st GEN GPs (what you have) The 1st gen GP uses separate bulbs for turning and braking, thus the TSS does not route power for the brake lights to the rear. All other Ws have a common turn and brake light, where the brake power goes through the TSS, which is what you might have read about while researching.

but yes. you have to either service or replace your TSS, and figure out what the seperate brake problem is... and I bet your brake light switch was misaligned when the PMIII was replaced.

My turn signal switch is on its way out (or needs a cleaning) and when i turn on my turn signal sometimes, the turn signal and corresponding dash light will remain on solid

Mine just did this today, when I was testing the lights. :mad:

When I get done driving the car the brake lights remain on until I pump the brake to shut them off.

It took 5 or 6 tries on adjusting the brake switch above the pedal but persistence paid off and the brake lights work now. I checked all the bulbs in the car and about half were / are burned out. I am hoping this is the turn signal problem. I have seen where if you get enough bulbs out in the system other parts wont work. Of course the Autozone by my house was out of both the bulbs I didnt already have so I will go hunting for them again today. I took the car for its first real drive now that I had brakes and brake lights. It runs good most of the time, but occasionally "stutters" a bit. I am thinking tune up and injectors and go from there. I think it is ready for an emissions test and registration. I have to decide if I do it now and then it sits all winter, or I just wait until spring to register it.

Meanwhile my daily driver Jeep Cherokee has sprung a leak in the gas tank so no more time for the TGP.........for a while.....

WOOT!

I did take for granted that bulbs could be burned out.... as I check mine constantly.

TIP: when a rear TS light goes out, they will not flash. when a front primary TS light (not the corner marker one) goes out the dash indicator stays on when they are off.

My turn signal switch is on its way out (or needs a cleaning) and when i turn on my turn signal sometimes, the turn signal and corresponding dash light will remain on solid

Mine just did this today, when I was testing the lights. :mad:

When I get done driving the car the brake lights remain on until I pump the brake to shut them off.

your brake light switch is very easy to adjust (92+ style) get down there, remove the panel cover and find it, and push it in a notch.

If your brake pedal is not returning to the "at rest position" you may need a new booster...