• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Radnsmash

• xtremerevolution

• Night Fury

• Galaxie500XL

So Ken would be proud of me. I just brought my e-core filter back to return it, then went through all of the oil filters and bought all of the old design filters! LOLOL

I'm good for 6 more oil changes now!

If i buy an upper intake manifold from Napa, is that a "re engineered" manifold or should i take it back.

Where can you get purolator or wix filters from?

It would tell you in the description if it was a stock replacement or if it was an improved model. Check the date stamp on the top as well. Manifolds after 2003 had the issue fixed.

I get the Purolator filters from Pep Boys, and the Wix filters from Rockauto.com. Come to think of it, I get everything from rockauto.

I get Purolator at Advance

X2 I use their PureONE series air/oil filters.

And no, I didn't flush the cooling system before I added the Prestone regular 50/50, and of course my fucking father being a know it all just reads the fucking bottle when it says "Add to any color, make or model!" So great, I'm definitely in a world of shit. (I hope a flush saves me)

Only got that noise this morning for a brief 10 secs or so, and when I left school, I didn't hear it. Thank you jimmyfloyd I might give him a call, I sold a graphics card last night for $70 so I've got $140 in my wallet, I need to save a little more because I WILL NOT be able to do this alone/for "free" so to speak.

Maybe I should look in my car and call the woman who owned the car before me(She bought it new), because that's the only documentation I have, and ask her what kind of maintenance was done.

And for shits and giggles there's a good amount of residue and gunk on this black plastic gasket which I'm assuming is the factory one by the lower intake manifold..I'm fucked, huh?

I cant really make any moves ATM I still need more cash, but I will act ASAP.

"there's a good amount of residue and gunk on this black plastic gasket which I'm assuming is the factory one by the lower intake manifold..I'm fucked, huh?"

Not necessarily. It really depends on how much coolant has gotten into other stuff, particularly the oil.

How does your oil look, by the way? Is the dipstick rusty, showing water droplets above the oil on the stick, or does the oil look like a chocolate milkshake? If not, you might be OK.

Hard to say absolutely, since I don't know your car...

So Ken would be proud of me. I just brought my e-core filter back to return it, then went through all of the oil filters and bought all of the old design filters! LOLOL

I'm good for 6 more oil changes now!

I want your body! :twisted:

"there's a good amount of residue and gunk on this black plastic gasket which I'm assuming is the factory one by the lower intake manifold..I'm fucked, huh?"

Not necessarily. It really depends on how much coolant has gotten into other stuff, particularly the oil.

How does your oil look, by the way? Is the dipstick rusty, showing water droplets above the oil on the stick, or does the oil look like a chocolate milkshake? If not, you might be OK.

Hard to say absolutely, since I don't know your car...

Checked yesterday, Oil looks fine.

Man you have one jacked up car. You'll be fine for a while, but you cannot add that shit to any color coolant. You need to keep it the same regardless of what the advertising says.

You can DEFINITELY do this job yourself. I did it on my fiance's sister's car as the first car I had ever done it on, and it went perfect.

I then did it on my own Series 1 3800 and it went just as well. You can save a lot of cash by doing this yourself.

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b37/SirMaverick00/Vik96Regal/

Her car had 110k miles on it. Those LIM gaskets look pretty disgusting.

Here's mine, with 186k miles on it.

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b37/SirMaverick00/95%20Buick%20Regal/LIM%20Porting/

This is seriously a cakewalk project. Just use a haynes manual and pay attention to torque specs when putting it back together, and you'll be fine.

Guess what I'm doing TODAY!!! :lol:

Best of luck. Remember what xtreme said, torque settings are your friend. :biggrin:

Well, he didn't exactly say it that way, but you get the idea.

Get some brake cleaner, and a rag..wipe down the surfaces with the rag wetted in brake cleaner before reassembly. Wad up paper towels, NUMBER THEM, and put them in the ports while you clean up the mating surface on the head. You number them so you know you pulled all of them before putting the intake back on the car.

Label all sets of bolts in ziploc bags with a sharpie.

Tie printer labels around every hose so you know where to put it back.

Not that 3800's are that complicated, but it can be annoying sitting there with a hose in your hand not knowing where the hell it goes.

Using a digital camera or camcorder can come in handy, too, just for a sanity check that you're putting it back the right way.

Most mechanical work comes down to attention to detail...notice how it goes together, follow the service manual, take your time, and most jobs aren't really that bad...

3800 are loud when cold. Its normal.

Now I dont know if you are hearing engine knock or piston slap from a cold piston.

NAhhhhhh. Not really. My 98 with ~159K on 'er (I've put on less than 5K since last winter) started up in our beautiful -40* Minnesota winters and had never had any engine noise, with the exception of a nice groan of the PS pump for a few seconds due to pumping molasses at that temp. Piston slap has been pretty much exclusive to the 60* V6's

Also, if you do decide to get a new intake, (I like rock auto, but this one beats it) Here's one for ya: http://www.ineedparts.com/auto-parts/intake-manifolds/gm-intake-manifold-kit-17806.html ~$105 shipped. And it's not just another new stock intake either that WILL fail again. It's a revised one that corrects the problem with the intakes. (read the specs)

Stick with DexCool in a 50/50 mixture, NOT the green stuff (unless you want to be replacing your water pump).

Replaced my Dex-junk with green 2.5 years ago when I did mine. No probs to date.

Good call on the intake. Much better price.

I've had different experiences with Dexcool.

First off, its not junk. Its perfectly usable provided you maintain your system and flush it out when necessary, and does its job perfectly well. All of the problems of it gunking up are related to people using non-distilled water. My Bonneville is coming up on 70k miles now with the original Dexcool and absolutely no gunking or other issues whatsoever. Dexcool also isn't to blame for the gasket failures.

I have, however, heard of peoples' gaskets or water pumps going bad shortly after they switched to or from Dexcool.

Ever seen the aluminum corrosion caused by the green stuff? Its not any better than Dexcool.

I know its not really junk. It just seems like every other month theres a debate about coolant, then the next month about oil filters, and the next month etc. I was doing mine while reading up about the horrors about Dexcool/ how green is just fine to use.

Green is just fine to use, and there's no reason to switch to dexcool, but its also not worth switching from dexcool to green. Too much of a hassle.

There's a debate because new people and inexperienced people come around and think they know what they're talking about.

The filter issue has been researched and proven. The coolant issue has been researched and proven. Some people just need to know the facts.

As far as filters go, have a look at this:

http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/oilfilters/reference.html#champion

Enjoy.

Maybe if I wasn't an unemployed high school senior I'd throw an L67 in it, but with 2K for my insurance and a father who wont let me go all out with it because he thinks I'm "not that good yet". The knock sounds like its def. coming from upper intake manifold, checked the dipstick and it sure looked like oil.(And as usual, nearly no coolant in there, but I'd rather not throw some in since I've been using the "green stuff" ever since I first saw the LOW COOLANT light come on in the beginning of this year. I'm just going to get this done and pray that this 3800 lives up to the reputation of its great brothers.

Just put the L36 NA3800 cover on the engine and no one will now the difference!

Maybe if I wasn't an unemployed high school senior I'd throw an L67 in it, but with 2K for my insurance and a father who wont let me go all out with it because he thinks I'm "not that good yet". The knock sounds like its def. coming from upper intake manifold, checked the dipstick and it sure looked like oil.(And as usual, nearly no coolant in there, but I'd rather not throw some in since I've been using the "green stuff" ever since I first saw the LOW COOLANT light come on in the beginning of this year. I'm just going to get this done and pray that this 3800 lives up to the reputation of its great brothers.

Just put the L36 NA3800 cover on the engine and no one will now the difference!

:lol: :burnout:

I'm very tempted to just do this in my backyard, I can go to my local library and rent a Haynes(assuming they have the 95-00 Lumina/Monte edition there)

Label all sets of bolts in ziploc bags with a sharpie.

Tie printer labels around every hose so you know where to put it back.

Not that 3800's are that complicated, but it can be annoying sitting there with a hose in your hand not knowing where the hell it goes.

I think in pretty much every car I've done engine work, suspension work, etc.... hell even on the job where things can get very detailed, I've never had to label or bag a thing.