Amp in Protect mode...Lumina...

1990lumina

I went and bought two subs and an amp tonight. I listened to them in the dude's car first and it all sounded fine.

I proceed to install it in my Lumina and when I turn everything on I get the "Protect" light and the "Power" light is off. This is a Memphis Audio SR 100 amp.

According to the online manual it says I need 8gage wire to the amp. My old kit is only 10gage, but I have in the past ran 1000watt amps with zero issues. My ground may also be poor (It's bolted to the frame piece before the rear seat), but again I've had no trouble in the past.

I think it is either a ground or wire kit issue..what do you guys think? When I unplug the RCAs from the amp it doesn't help. The subs and wired correctly.

Thanks

my depth charge did that before... i believe i blew the fuse and like 2 volts were making it to the amp. did what you are describing and DC is/was somehow involved with memphis.... so i'd look for something like that, and run a multimeter at the terminals...

my depth charge did that before... i believe i blew the fuse and like 2 volts were making it to the amp. did what you are describing and DC is/was somehow involved with memphis.... so i'd look for something like that, and run a multimeter at the terminals...

I don't quite understand what you are saying?? Which fuse may be blown?

Disconnect the wire to the subs at the amp. Turn the system on and recheck protect. If still on remove rca's then check the for protect mode. If there is no change disconnect the remote line, jumper from the 10 gauge wire to the remote. check for protection.

If nothing is changed at this time, it is an internal failure UNLESS there is a fuse.

Could be a number of things:

1. Bad ground. make sure it is a good chassis ground, make sure all the paint is sanded off to bare metal!

2. Not big enough gauge wire. What is the RMS power of the amp? 10ga is really only good to like 200w. I would upgrade to 4 or 8 gauge.

3. You could be running at to low of a impedence. Is this a monoblock amp? Is it stable to 1 ohm? What is the impedance on the subs? Single voice coil or dual?

4. Is it possible the gain is all the way up? Make sure the gain and bass boost (if it has one) are not maxed out.

Most likely it is one of the first two things i mentioned.

I'm going to try a new ground location tonight if I can get around to doing it. It's getting dark here already but I guess I can pull the cars out of the garage too.

I'm going to try a new ground location tonight if I can get around to doing it. It's getting dark here already but I guess I can pull the cars out of the garage too.

not sure where your amp is mounted, but mine is under the drivers seat and underneath the plastic trim that hides the edge of the carpet next to the door, theres a good spot there... on a 95 monte at least...

Mine is in the trunk.. I've getting tired of trying to find something decent so I'm just gonna put a hole through the floor - fuck it lol. I'll silicone the other end of the bolt/screw from under the car to seal it at work one day.

Disconnect the wire to the subs at the amp. Turn the system on and recheck protect. If still on remove rca's then check the for protect mode. If there is no change disconnect the remote line, jumper from the 10 gauge wire to the remote. check for protection.

If nothing is changed at this time, it is an internal failure UNLESS there is a fuse.

Checked in this order. The remote wire is fucking it up. When I jump 12 volts straight across the amp kicks on and plays just fine. Not sure WTF - I know the remote wire works (gets voltage) - I think I'm just use a simple relay in the trunk using the remote wire as the relays signal and steal 12 volts for the relay from the amp wiring - then run it back to the amp remote terminal from the relay. Should work fine. Right now I am just jumpering the amp on and off lol.

I also noticed my right side sub wasn't playing - one of my RCAs behind the deck had a bad connection for some reason - fixed that and now it's almost ready to go lol. Manually turning the amp on sucks - but I can't forget to shut it off. I think that amp would kill the battery in an hour or loss - has a big ass fan running inside it all the time.

Anyways, I think I know what I need to do now - thanks for all the help to everyone that responded! Now I remember why I liked driving my Lumina so much - decent sound system lol. Plus all the rattles and sweaks seem to disappear when you turn the music way up hahaha

Head unit - that one RCA cable is damaged thoguh so I am going to run new RCAs and a new remote wire tomorrow if I have time - I have a feeling that wire is damaged somewhere down the car or something.

Yea it may be pinched somewhere and grounding out.

That's what I figure too. No idea where but I'm not going to worry about it either :) - just run a new wire.

• 1 month later...