1991 GTP restoration questions *A week from purchase!*

supertrick_05

I'd buy it for parts, and buy another car that isn't in horrible shape to rebuild.

Or, buy it and part it out. Lots of good stuff there that people want- Wheels, Hood, transmission related components, interior, some body parts (fender flares, body cladding), lights, some engine parts, engine harness and PCM, etc....

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supertrick_05

• GOT2B GM

• grandprixnyc

• sloick

as someone who lives in Canada's rustiest province, (well maybe 2nd) I'd say it's worth a shot, The shock towers aren't rusted, and honestly, I've seen cars in WAY worse shape, and have put almost no money into getting a few of them back on the road, granted, lots of sheetmetal sitting around, and brake lines are easy to fix, you're only real concern would be the fuel lines, and that battery tray, otherwise get a quart of rust converter (converts it to primer chemically) then spray that over with asphalt undercoating I did it to a 79 ford f-100 pickups frame once, looked like new ! and lasted the year it was in my possession

and hey if he's got any trucks laying around hoods have lots of spare metal and usually don't take to rusting till the rest of the truck is dead :-P so thats floor and rocker panel metal included with the price of the car (if he does, would include it) all you'd need is a welder :-p

Well we'll see how it looks when we get it to my dad's house (whenever the hell that is), but I think it's going to be more of a parts car. I'd love to get a nice 91-93 GTP, get the 94-96 bumpers/flares/sides on it, swap everything from the parts car to make it a 5-speed (need to find a different tranny though), and she'd be a sweet ride!

I'm telling you, don't bother with it. I've messed around with not one, not two, but three old LQ1 cars of this era and it is not worth it. There are plenty of clean 5-speed GTP's out there for a few hundred bucks. That car is essentially worthless and will be a nightmare, migraine, and colonoscopy all rolled in to one. I'd part it out and use the money to put towards an clean GTP that doesn't look like it was pulled from the bottom of a lake.

Also I want that hood, but is it bent/dented?

I've searched Craigslist, quite a few automotive classified sites (Autotrader, CarSoup, Cars, etc.) and eBay...with not much luck. These damn things are hard to frickin find!

If you decide to buy it and part it, I would like to take a look at those seats. I'm only about two hours from you.

Yeah, I'd be interested in one of the rims, ;)

Please don't flood my thread with parts requests...when and IF I decide to part it out, then I'll make a thread in the classifieds section. Thanks.

I was just messin with ya dude, sorry.

Like I said before, I say go for it. If you can't save her, then you only lost $300, and could probably make that much or more parting it out.

If you're looking for a project to dink around on in the garage when you have time, then go for it. If you want to fix it up quick for a daily driver, I'd say just part it out and be done with it.

I fully agree with that last post. The car looks decent but seeing it sunken into mud and grass really would make me worry about the structural. All it takes is a year to see a bit of rust from trapped moisture.

I would really like to see some underside pics. Whe i spent time on a farm i went over many cars that have sat in the grass for as little as 2 years and have signifigant rust. I wish you the best of luck in your decision and i hope you keep us posted on this

I'm telling you, don't bother with it. I've messed around with not one, not two, but three old LQ1 cars of this era and it is not worth it. There are plenty of clean 5-speed GTP's out there for a few hundred bucks.

There are? I can't find any on cars.com/ebay.com, where are you looking? I can fix an LQ1 blindfolded with a hand tied behind my back, I assume they all have broken timing belts or blown headgaskets.

I'm telling you, don't bother with it. I've messed around with not one, not two, but three old LQ1 cars of this era and it is not worth it. There are plenty of clean 5-speed GTP's out there for a few hundred bucks.

There are? I can't find any on cars.com/ebay.com, where are you looking? I can fix an LQ1 blindfolded with a hand tied behind my back, I assume they all have broken timing belts or blown headgaskets.

You just don't know how to search... GOT2B GM taunts me with at least 10 new links a day

Jamie

You just don't know how to search... GOT2B GM taunts me with at least 10 new links a day

Jamie

They show up on eBay alot... you just have to look. It might not be right this second and 10 minutes from your house. I see them all the time. It would be a hell of a lot easier to drive an hour or two to pick up a clean one than to even attempt to mess with what he is looking at sunk into the mud.

I actually found one...it has everything I've wanted and it's just perfect...but I can't buy it because I haven't sold my GOD DAMNED car yet! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I could take out a loan for it and add it to my existing loan, but I don't know how smart that would be now that I'm trying to buy a house. I just don't have the funds to buy it since I haven't sold the Neon yet.