1991 GTP restoration questions *A week from purchase!*

supertrick_05

I'm planning on buying a 1991 GTP for $300 within the next month, and I'm wondering what I should inspect before searching/buying parts for it. Obviously, I'll have to inspect the exterior for rust (remove B4U ground effects, bumpers, carpet, etc.), but what should I check for in terms of engine/trans, suspension, brakes, and other stuff? Here's some pics of the car for reference (sorry they're phone pics):

p_00135.jpg

p_00136.jpg

p_00137.jpg

p_00138.jpg

p_00139.jpg

p_00140.jpg

p_00141.jpg

p_00142.jpg

p_00143.jpg

p_00144.jpg

p_00145.jpg

p_00147.jpg

So if someone could give me a detailed list on what to inspect on the car, that would be very helpful and very appreciated! Thanks in advance!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supertrick_05

• GOT2B GM

• grandprixnyc

• sloick

Sorry, I could have started asking stuff in that thread, but this one is specifically asking what should I check for to make sure what I need to get for it.

My brother said it ran when he parked it there, but the transmission is crap (needs some shaft, but no parts are available). I found one locally for $850, but I gotta call on it. He said the engine ran fine, but in the winter, some piece always got iced up and it would run like shit. I don't know what the part was, but he said it was specific on 5-speed cars.

Check the transmission mount on the pass side. presently there are NO replacements out there for it, so only option is used.

make sure the clutch system works properly, there really is no cheap part to it.

no idea what he is talking about, I can't think of any specific part that would cause that.

Rust would be my number one concern with it sitting on the field like that.

Mechanical components for the most part can be easily swapped (granted the parts are available) but if the underside of the car (specifically where the trailing arms mount to the body, and the unibody structure above the mufflers) are rotted, its not worth the time, effort or money.

Your brother should just give you that car free to get it out of his field...That thing will probably end up needing a lot more work than you'll want to put into it.

Your brother should just give you that car free to get it out of his field...That thing will probably end up needing a lot more work than you'll want to put into it.

x2. its only worth $150 in scrap, youll need to replace the timing belt too. that cars a money pit.

Honestly, been there, done that (not as bad), it's not worth it. You'll end up sinking so much money into a car that is basically worthless right now. There are plenty of 91-93 GTP's in much better condition that can be had for a decent price. That thing looks like it is in really rough shape, and it's juts flat out not worth the money or effort.

I would use it as a parts car. I'm not sure what you want to look for because I wouldn't have high expectations for any car in that shape.

I just always loved these cars (my dad had a MINT red '91 GTP, handed down to my brother then sold...my dad had another GP, a 1994 white SE and painted the 5-spoke wheels white...then my brother got this car years ago, drove it and trashed it and sold it to the current owner) and when I remembered that my brother had a blue GTP with a rare 5-speed, I wanted to see if it had any potential at all to be saved. I've never drove or even rode in a 5-speed 3.4-powered car, but I do remember my dad's old red '91 and that thing flew as an automatic...a 5-speed would be fun as all hell!

Anyways, today my brother and I went to move the car out of the weeds so i could get a look at under the car, but there was a stupid truck in the way, so we couldn't get it out. I did, however, get some better pics of the car with my Sony camera (other pics were from my phone cam). The interior needs some major attention, which is no big deal (I work at an upholstery place). I looked at the struts and such, and just like I thought...probably should be replaced, which is fine because I wanted to lower the car anyways. Other than the rust hole in the battery spot, I didn't see any on the car. He said that him and a friend will get the car to my dad's house, where I can jack it up and look under the car.

Oh yeah, and he said that in his "stoner days" he had the car jacked up in the MIDDLE of the car and had it sit like that for a day or two...he said that he thought he bent the unibody, but didn't remember...cuz he was stoned. LoL! So anyways, once they get the car to my dad's, I'll have a full inspection of the car.

Here's the new pics:

DSC00792.jpg

DSC00793.jpg

DSC00794.jpg

DSC00795.jpg

DSC00796.jpg

DSC00812.jpg

DSC00813.jpg

DSC00815.jpg

DSC00804.jpg

DSC00805.jpg

DSC00814.jpg

DSC00810.jpg

DSC00809.jpg

DSC00806.jpg

DSC00807.jpg

DSC00808.jpg

DSC00816.jpg

DSC00819.jpg

DSC00797.jpg

DSC00798.jpg

DSC00799.jpg

DSC00800.jpg

DSC00811.jpg

In this area, 91-96 Grand Prix alone are hard to find for sale...it really sucks! They are hard to come by. I could find Lumina Z34 5-speeds, no problem...but Grand Prixs, not so much. I don't necessarily NEED a 5-speed, but I just thought it would be a fun project to restore a 5-speed car. I wouldn't mind buying a decent 91-93 GTP auto and doing the L67 swap, but I think it would just be more fun with a 5-speed.

In this area, 91-96 Grand Prix alone are hard to find for sale...it really sucks!

So travel...

You couldn't pay me to touch that heap... working underneath that thing is going to be a bloody nightmare.

When I am done school next week, and find a job that will allow me to do it, I plan to go as far as I need to in order to get a CLEAN 5 speed GTP. They are out there for cheap.

I'm in Ontario Canada, I would not hesitate to go to Florida for a clean car.

However...

If you really must get it, part that bitch out, make your money back and then some. I think I read that your paying $300 for it? If so you could pull the thing a part and make way more than that on the parts.

Jamie

In this area, 91-96 Grand Prix alone are hard to find for sale...it really sucks!

So travel...

You couldn't pay me to touch that heap... working underneath that thing is going to be a bloody nightmare.

When I am done school next week, and find a job that will allow me to do it, I plan to go as far as I need to in order to get a CLEAN 5 speed GTP. They are out there for cheap.

I'm in Ontario Canada, I would not hesitate to go to Florida for a clean car.

However...

If you really must get it, part that bitch out, make your money back and then some. I think I read that your paying $300 for it? If so you could pull the thing a part and make way more than that on the parts.

Jamie

X2, Flying across the country and driving home a California 5 spd Z34 was the best w-body decision I've ever made.

I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole. So much rust its not even funny. That thing will need damn near everything replaced, sanded, powdercoated, sandblasted, or what have you. Its a nightmare waiting to happen, and one that's not worth messing with.

As others have said, part it out if you must, but don't restore it. You could even use it as a donor car for a 5 speed swap into another GP.

I say go for it and save it. Sure you will sink a few bucks into it, but its yours and if you want a restoration project, than this is it. I have 92 GTP 5 speed too. It's rusty too, but who cares, it was cheap! Fun car too! But I also have a clean 92 GTP parts car that I might swap it over too. But, its up to you. I would love to fully restore all of my grand prix's. But ofcourse finding a mint 5 speed is getting rarer and rarer as these cars get older. Cant wait forever to find one either or you will be forced to find one hours away.

s. But ofcourse finding a mint 5 speed is getting rarer and rarer as these cars get older. Cant wait forever to find one either or you will be forced to find one hours away.

That's not true...

Matt teases me with more and more links to clean 5 speed cars every day I live here (I think that's how he is trying to get rid of me, haha)

And I am glad you have come to the realization that your 5 speed is anything but clean... but for what you have invested in 1st gen w-bodies, you could have a squeaky clean car, rather than 3 rust buckets/beaters.

Jamie

s. But ofcourse finding a mint 5 speed is getting rarer and rarer as these cars get older. Cant wait forever to find one either or you will be forced to find one hours away.

That's not true...

Matt teases me with more and more links to clean 5 speed cars every day I live here (I think that's how he is trying to get rid of me, haha)

And I am glad you have come to the realization that your 5 speed is anything but clean... but for what you have invested in 1st gen w-bodies, you could have a squeaky clean car, rather than 3 rust buckets/beaters.

Jamie

I never said it was clean, has some surface rust, big deal. It's a 92 and I didnt pay an arm and a leg and have to drive outside the city to get it. :wink:

As for my 92 GTP parts car, its pretty dang clean. She stays wrapped all times till I get more time to play with them.

As for old Red, she is still good to go. I just recently took it off cause my insurance was ending and I switched companies. The regal is back to being the DD. 2nd blows 1st gens. But I still love my all my 1st gens and will have them all fixed up nicely one day. House comes first. :cool: