who's running 18's and whats the biggest tire stuffed under your car.

kaptnjack

This might be considered as a general wbody post but there has been some stated differences in the wheel wells on the vets.

I have a 93 vert and recently bought a set of 18 x 7.5 +40 wheels.

I am currently running 16 x 7 +40 with 225/60/16 with no issues at all.

this is just a cruiser and rides at stock height.

I know I dont want the fronts poking out of the fender wells so a rounded shoulder/sidewall is desirable but still want the widest and tallest tire possible.

At this point my best guess using all available tire/wheel calculators and physical measurements indicates a 235/50/18 which specs generally (depending on brand/style) as .7" taller and .4" wider and .2" closer to suspension and .2" extended outward.

With the car at rest the larger dimensions appears to be a non issue. At full lock-to-lock also appears to be a non issue BUT...non of this is considering deflection and suspension compression.

Any thoughts?

Anybody

thanks so far.

Got2b...I looked at your photo bucket but didnt see the 18's mounted on the front.

You got any more pictures or feedback on any rubbing issues?

im running 225 55 17 on my vert and get a little rubbing in the front but that could be due to the inner fender trim being loose but im not sure, i know if i were to put 18s on it i would have to size down the tire and loose some side wall height for sure.

225 60 16 stock

26.6 tall

8.9 wide

225 55 17

26.8 tall

8.9 wide

235 50 18

27.3 tall

9.3 wide

I might be in trouble

I hope keeping the same +40 offset will help

I have 245/45/18's on my 97 Lumina. I'm assuming there's not much different between the cars... 245/45/18 is a pretty much accurate conversion from 225/60/16, so the speedo is right on. I also went from the stock 16x6.5 to 18x8 and I have no rubbing issues.

thanks so far.

Got2b...I looked at your photo bucket but didnt see the 18's mounted on the front.

You got any more pictures or feedback on any rubbing issues?

awaiting my spacers for the fronts to show up, then I'll post pics / feedback

235/50/18s... lowered on eibachs.... the tires do come really close to the strut towers but do not rub..

IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1159.jpg

this would be the same for any 1st gen w.... man i miss these rims

I have 245/45/18's on my 97 Lumina. I'm assuming there's not much different between the cars... 245/45/18 is a pretty much accurate conversion from 225/60/16, so the speedo is right on. I also went from the stock 16x6.5 to 18x8 and I have no rubbing issues.

x2 on the 245/45/18s

Ok....I bit the bullet today and bought a set of 235/50/18 Falken ZE912's.

I only was able to get two mounted today..one front and one rear.

So far ...so good. Fits nice under the front fender lip and doesnt poke out. No rubbing lock to lock. Drove it maybe a mile and experienced no unwanted issues.

There is no way that a tire 1/4" taller would have fit this well. I have less than a 1/4" clearance at the rear plastic fender liner on turn in... thats really close on the driver side...I hope its the same on the passenger side. If the car has been hit or bent...this tire/wheel setup probably wouldnt work. If the offset was lower like even maybe a +38 or +36 I dont think it would work.

The wheels are Sacchi S25 18x7.5, ET40 offset, 5.8 backspace, painted White.

http://www.sacchiwheels.com/

235 50 18 Falken ZE912

27.4 tall

9.5 wide

Thanks for the monte pics.....looks really good!

I think an inch or so lower in the rear would be an improvement on my vert too.

I also think I need to space the rear wheels out 1/2" or so.

Anybody use spacers on the rear? how thick? Need longer studs?

When I get them all mounted and on I will post some pictures

Ok...got the fender wells and suspension blacked out today....on one side.

Took a drill and set of wire wheels and brushed all the rust off the rotor caps and edges, and calipers. I gave everything a good thorough cleaning, taped everything up and applied four coats of silver and three coats of clear top coat.

I installed a 8mm (5/16") spacer at the rear to push the wheel out a smudge. It made a noticible difference but another spacer that size might be better but would push the OEM lug studs. I would probably have to install longer studs to add another one....maybe not. I read seven full turns of the lug is sufficient. I am a little uncertain of the spacers. Only because the new wheels require the smaller tuner lugs...and thats a new thing for me to.

My driving style is very moderate in this car...its a cruiser and 85% of the time is under 50mph. No hard cornering etc. I am going to give it a try and keep an eye on them. I Torqued the lugs to 105 ft lbs in a star pattern as usual and will recheck/torque each time I drive it for a while to be sure.

When I get it all together I will get some pics up.

Ok...had a little issue.

I did have some rubbing on the right front when at first turn-in. Rubbed the bumper skirt.

The car had a little front end damage when I bought it and I had to straighten it out a little and rehang the fender and a new bumper and support.

I was able to loosen and adjust it out to get another 1/2" which matched the driver side perfectly.

There is the slightest scffing of the first layer of paint on the inner fender at the rear of the well where it bulges out a little but not a problem...only happens at extreme lock to lock.

I have made a hard test including speed bumps, loaded, turn in to driveways and business etc....no worries.

I will say again...if your car isnt straight....this wheel/tire combo will be problematic.

P1010145.jpg

link below looks wierd but leads to a popup slideshow

div>

more pictures so I built an album at the bucket

http://s990.photobucket.com/albums/af30/kaptnjack_photos/

Ok...had a little issue.

I did have some rubbing on the right front when at first turn-in. Rubbed the bumper skirt.

The car had a little front end damage when I bought it and I had to straighten it out a little and rehang the fender and a new bumper and support.

I was able to loosen and adjust it out to get another 1/2" which matched the driver side perfectly.

There is the slightest scffing of the first layer of paint on the inner fender at the rear well wwhere it bulges out a little but not a problem...only happens at extreme lock to lock.

P1010146.jpg

more pictures so I built an album at the bucket

http://s990.photobucket.com/albums/af30/kaptnjack_photos/

I actually really like those wheels! Nice choice!

Jamie

thanks....

I like the ET40+ offset...sets the wheel nicely inside the fender lip...looks very put together to me.

spacing the rear wheels out really brought it together and gave it a good stance.

my setup:

235/50/18

27.3 tall

9.3 wide

+40 offset

You said you run:

225/35/20

26.2 tall

8.9 wide

probably a +35 offset

so there is no problem there

You want to go to:

245/40/20

27.7 tall

9.6 wide

+35 offset

Without a doubt....those would rub on my car. They will mount ok, you could actually mount a tire 28.1 tall without hitting the spring mount but would rub the inner fender at rear and front bumber skirt at turn in.....I think.

Be careful and let me know if you are successful.

• 2 weeks later...

I would have gone 235/45R18. The sidewall doesn't look quite as fat and don't rub at all. I know some 3rd gen W's use 235/50's, but they also have a taller body. The shorter, slimmer body on the 1st gens looks more proportionate with slightly smaller overall wheel diameter.

For 20", 245/35R20 is the closest +4 upgrade to the original 225/60R16s.