1988 Cutlass - tcc unlocks hot problem

DeltaBravo

This problem is driving me nuts. The torque converter will lock with the engine cold and warm, but after the engine has reached normal operating temperature for a few minutes, the tc unlocks. 4th gear is engaged and stays engaged. I can get the tc to reengage if I slightly lift the accelerator, but then road speed is lost. Slightly pressing the accelerator to gain road speed caused the tc to unlock again. Before this problem began, the accelerator would have to be pressed a considerable amount before the trans would downshift to 3rd or 2nd.

Overall, the trans shifts normally at the correct points/speeds and smoothly.

I put in a new TPS and have adjusted it to spec and slightly higher with no affect. The brake switch is off, and the speedo reads correctly, so I think the vss is ok. No SES light. Modulator is original but no trans oil inside. I changed the modulator hose because it was old. Modulator controls shift quality, IIRC. I tried adjusting the TV cable, but it's really difficult. TV controls shift timing IIRC.

Could this be MAF or engine related rather than trans? The engine runs pretty well, but could probably be better. It doesn't miss or shake, but the exhaust could smell better.

At the risk of sounding redundant... this is the same thing as my 95 does. the TCC clutch is mostly gone in that car. I added a transmission cooler which is the only reason that transmission is still working.

May I suggest doing the same? you can get a "plug and play" transmission cooler from any 91-93 3.4 dohc equipped car at your local junkyard.

on the other hand... maybe your brake switch is out of adjustment.