Another TopGun bites the dust..

digitaloutsider

:evil:

After months of battling a phantom stalling and choppy acceleration issue, I have finally traced it down to the PROM. I've changed every sensor on the TB, ensured good spark, got new plugs and wires, all new everything as far as fuel is concerned (was done way back for an unrelated problem) and nothing would fix the car. Finally I just asked Chris if I could borrow his spare TG160 to toss it in and see what happens..

Perfect. The car is 100% perfect. No stalling, nice linear acceleration. Car doesn't stumble at idle. Gas milage improved. What the hell can possibly go wrong with a PROM to have these sorts of issues? What is there to actually fail?

I could only think that there is a power surge (current or voltage spike) that would cause such an issue. I would go through and check all the grounds, make sure they are doing good.

After that, maybe so-so Prom chips are being used?

If you send it to me I can load the chip up on the buffer and compare the code on the tune to my top gun 160 chip I have here.

get an amtel chip installed on your stock prom or something and you can have it reburned real easy. otherwise you have to get a uv eraser.

I got like 5 or 6 proms with amtel chips and a 1 gb memory stick for backup.

ESD damage can be latent or catastrophic, I am a big a$$ to people whom try to sell me sensitive electronics outside of a esd package. Most ESD damage will be latent. I use wrist straps and esd mats with an esd/ground monitor while handling any electronics outside of a consumer case.

I am willing to burn chips but I am no expert in tuning.

at least while handling PROMs the actual chip is inside the blue/tan cartridge. so you don't actually handle the chip itself. you just plug the whole PROM into the top of the Pocket Programmer using a jumper strip with 24 pins. I store them in silver or pink bags though when not in use and when walking through a carpeted house.

Haven't had an issue with my old TG chips yet. The one in my Black car is over 7 years old and the one in the Red car is a few years older than that.

Stock eproms are known for failure. Jeff M never replaced the eprom for his tune. He just erased the factory tune and reburned his file back on the eprom. I always replace the eprom with a eeprom for my tunes. :cool:

ya, my topgun shit the bed on me last year too, very similar symptoms to yours. I was gona have someone on the TGPforums reflash it, but I just haven't had the cash so I've been on stock since last year... :(

My Grand Prix has strange symptoms,will start and immediately stall, it still has spark and injector drive and fuel pressure. I have tried another ECM with the same result, then installed a stock 3.1 na prom in it and it ran and I could drive it somewhat. All the grounds I cleaned and ohm checked, and pinned the injector driver wires and all the connections on the DSI maybe the prom got damaged somehow. I have never had a problem with them in the past so I don't know how it would act. HELP!

My Grand Prix has strange symptoms,will start and immediately stall, it still has spark and injector drive and fuel pressure. I have tried another ECM with the same result, then installed a stock 3.1 na prom in it and it ran and I could drive it somewhat. All the grounds I cleaned and ohm checked, and pinned the injector driver wires and all the connections on the DSI maybe the prom got damaged somehow. I have never had a problem with them in the past so I don't know how it would act. HELP!

when was the chip that failed actually made? DSI? I would like to see how it compares to a stock chip.

can you get a eprom for a tgp fitted with an amtel chip? convert it to a eeprom basically and then program it.

I can program it for you if you have an amtel chip installed by adam. he can program it too.