1991 z34 Bose Head Unit Question

GM Guy

Guys, hope you can provide some insight. White93z34 I am betting you know the answer.

My 91 Z34 has the Bose system and a cap blew up and started a small fire, completely melted the circuit board away around the blown cap and smoked up the trunk, melted the amp casing. Get this, afterwards I pulled the blown cap from the tin lines still attached and the melted rectifier and ironically it started working again. Definately not safe and not worth losing the car, amp got very hot quickly. The really strange part is that it never blew the fuse. Odd that neither did the bad injector from last week.

My question is can the stock Bose head unit be wired to an aftermarket amp and how? Would you just run the speaker signal wires to the + on the amp? Obviously I would need to replace the Bose speakers.

Based upon a previous post (White93z34 http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=24394.0) it appears there is no +/- from the head unit but rather the amp only.

I know the majority of responses will be to replace the head unit but I have plenty of left over aftermarket amps that I could hook up quickly without having to splice in a new deck for the time being.

wow that thread was a trip back in time! If you want I believe I have a spare Bose amp that as far as I know works, the plastic casing on the front of it is broken however.

But I believe SS Black posted the pinouts for it;

the connector should be a 16 way F Micro-Pack 280 Series BLK

Here's the breakdown for the terminals:

A1- ORN - FUSED POWER TO AMPLIFIER

A2- BLK - GROUND

A3 - TAN - LEFT FRONT SPEAKER FEED

A4 - GRY - LEFT FRONT SPEAKER RETURN

A5 - LT GRN - RIGHT FRONT SPEAKER FEED

A6 - DK GRN - RIGHT FRONT SPEAKER RETURN

A7 - BRN - LEFT REAR SPEAKER SIGNAL

A8 - DK BLU - RIGHT REAR SPEAKER SIGNAL

B1 - ORN - FUSED POWER TO AMPLIFIER

B2 - BLK - GROUND

B3 - PNK - RADIO ON SIGNAL

B6 - WHT - SPEAKER SIGNAL RETURN

B7 - TAN - LEFT FRONT SPEAKER SIGNAL

B8 - LT GRN - RIGHT FRONT SPEAKER SIGNAL

If you still need the diagram, let me know and I'll upload it.

now years later I have service manuals and wiring diagrams if you should need anymore information. So long as your amp can handle 1 or 2 ohm loads you can run the speakers just fine.

Personally I've long given up on that project(adding Bose to a non Bose car), and even more so with my new z34, at some point I intend on putting the Bose door panels back in the car, but only to run aftermarket speakers behind them.