Exhaust Installation overview (from the group purchase)

Brian P

Update:

It was a pain in the ass getting the Dynomax mufflers off (had to cut and beat the fuck out of them... they were only CLAMPED and run for a half hour, WTF?) but they're off, and I put a pair of Cherry Bomb turbos on. MUCH quieter, yet still allows the exhaust note to come out. I'll get a vid once I get the car on the road, likely tomorrow however I may want to double check everything before taking it to work and back...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian P

• 19Cutlass94

• RobertISaar

• BXX

and I put a pair of Cherry Bomb turbos on. MUCH quieter, yet still allows the exhaust note to come out.

so you LIKE them? thats the first time i've EVER heard good things about the CB turbos...

and I put a pair of Cherry Bomb turbos on. MUCH quieter, yet still allows the exhaust note to come out.

so you LIKE them? thats the first time i've EVER heard good things about the CB turbos...

Yeah, for the 30 seconds I ran and heard them I think they'll do alright.

What sort of complaints do you hear?

usually its "too much drone on the highway" and "its too loud", but you seem to like(or will live with the volume). and i hope you didn't spend more than $20 a piece on them... for some reason the Meijers around me(which are primarily food stores) sell them for $20, when the cheapest i see them anywhere else is 30, minimum.

i also am not sure as to how long they'll last...

those look like actual mufflers. cherry bombs are usually just straight cylindrical resonators painted red.

I might get a pair of those offset turbo mufflers for $33 each just to tone it down a little for the neighbors. I am always pulling up in the driveway at like 3 AM. :mrgreen: and also since I would probably have to get some tubing bent anyway for right there if not, and the offset would probably make it easier to line things up so the tips are centered.

I got a SS vibrant resonator as well to put where the cat usually is. I know it is a good resonator too because I can hold it and yell into one end as loud as I can and it really cuts down my voice. I think it should last longer too because the perforated inner lining has a fine mesh of thick steel. now I know why the damn things cost almost $80.

those look like actual mufflers. cherry bombs are usually just straight cylindrical resonators painted red.

I might get a pair of those offset turbo mufflers for $33 each just to tone it down a little for the neighbors. I am always pulling up in the driveway at like 3 AM. :mrgreen: and also since I would probably have to get some tubing bent anyway for right there if not, and the offset would probably make it easier to line things up so the tips are centered.

I got a SS vibrant resonator as well to put where the cat usually is. I know it is a good resonator too because I can hold it and yell into one end as loud as I can and it really cuts down my voice. I think it should last longer too because the perforated inner lining has a fine mesh of thick steel. now I know why the damn things cost almost $80.

Yeah, Cherry Bomb usually = their glasspack line. I don't know if they make the mufflers themselves, or if it's a rebranded product under their name. Who knows if they'll last or not, but right now I just wanted to get the car on the road so I can stop DD'ing my Camaro (not that I mind much ;))

Overall, I'm going to give that kit a 6/10.

Advantages are:

- Piping from the catalyst to the Y-split is spot-on accurate in terms of bends and dimensions

- Y-split is designed very well

- Much cheaper than having a custom built exhaust done around here (It would have been $500+ locally)

- Welds are very neat and strong

- Pipes are a thick gauge steel

Disadvantages:

- The system, being designed in 3 sections, makes it difficult to line up properly. Prepare to spend upwards of 8 hours installing this system if you're by yourself w/o a lift and are a perfectionist.

- Thick pipes make it difficult if not impossible for the exhaust clamps to keep the pieces from slipping or twisting. Getting this system welded is a MUST.

- Left side exhaust extension going from the Y-split to the muffler needs modification. The end which attaches to the Y is about 3" too short, whereas the end going to the muffler is about 3" too long. It's possible that the pipe was bent in the wrong location on my system. Nevertheless, I was able to use a single 2.5"ID x 2.5"OD adapter on one end to bring it out enough, and I chopped the other end.

- Hangers up front (near the cat) needs to be bent downward.

- Left pipe still hangs low (center of car, behind axle), pretty much the lowest point of the system. I do not know why it was designed like that. It looks as if the designer tried to steer clear of the jack pad, but it's nowhere near it. I think that using an aftermarket shorter rubber hanger at the rear axle will help this.

Pics will be coming sooner or later of the finished system.

what mufflers did you end up going with in the end? also what type, as in offset (right, left, center) will line the exhaust up with the cutouts in the rear bumper

what mufflers did you end up going with in the end? also what type, as in offset (right, left, center) will line the exhaust up with the cutouts in the rear bumper

The mufflers I have on there now are the Cherry Bomb oval ones listed above. This system accepts offset-in/center-out which lines up very good.

Oh! :buddy:

I kept with the KISS method on this. I used universal hanger-mounts which have a long strap w/ pre-drilled holes, which I installed onto the impact bar studs (much like the OEM ones do). The bottom of the mount is a clamp, which is on the outlet of each muffler, and also serves as a clamp for the tips.

Something like this (I mounted it vertically though)

http://exhaustpartsuk.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35&products_id=79

It keeps the exhaust very rigid, and also holds the muffler outlet (and tips) in alignment.

Did you try using band clamps? I know my exhaust is 2.5" and .065" wall thickness. Im forced to use band clamps cuz U clamps would never do the job.

I didn't try, to be honest. Band clamps are somewhere around $15 each, right? I would have needed at least 5 or 6 for the complete system, so either way the cost to weld the system was close to that.

Oh! :buddy:

I kept with the KISS method on this. I used universal hanger-mounts which have a long strap w/ pre-drilled holes, which I installed onto the impact bar studs (much like the OEM ones do). The bottom of the mount is a clamp, which is on the outlet of each muffler, and also serves as a clamp for the tips.

Something like this (I mounted it vertically though)

http://exhaustpartsuk.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35&products_id=79

It keeps the exhaust very rigid, and also holds the muffler outlet (and tips) in alignment.

Sound almost exactly like what i did when I installed my new muffs, i also had to add some piping sine the old one were so much larger.

I didn't try, to be honest. Band clamps are somewhere around $15 each, right? I would have needed at least 5 or 6 for the complete system, so either way the cost to weld the system was close to that.

Depends on where you go. I have 6 on my exhaust system. They work great. If I ever get to meet up with ya, Ill give ya some to try out.

Although I hope you have air tools. You gotta use an air gun when installing these band clamps. If you dont, they will leak since the seal isnt good enough. Air gun gets em tighter than tightening it by hand.

By the way, you're right about the Cherry Bomb mufflers. What the Christ, they aren't that loud but they DRONE like no other between 2000-2500 rpm, to the point that it's unbearable. I had a hard time driving the car in overdrive when I went to PA on saturday. Could it be a result of the mufflers, or maybe it's more about not having a resonator on the system?

No its deff not the fact you have no resonator. Even with my mufflers and a resonator, it still drones on the highway. It the muffler choice. Mine are straight through. Only thing a resonator will do is quiet the drone a little bit. My mufflers drone on the highway as well, but probably arent as loud as yours though. If you want a pair of mufflers that are quiet Ill sell you the Quiet Flow mufflers I got from NAPA. Lifetime Warranty :) I had em on my care for a few weeks. Thing sounded as quiet as stock, and lost no performance.

By the way, you're right about the Cherry Bomb mufflers. What the Christ, they aren't that loud but they DRONE like no other between 2000-2500 rpm, to the point that it's unbearable.

+1 point for Saar.... try glasspacks, they are, in every sense, resonators; which should remove drone/raspiness.