Exhaust Installation overview (from the group purchase)

Brian P

So I dunno what "brand" this exhaust is :lol: OEM Motorsports?

Anyway....

Pics will do most of the talking.

Laid out on the floor, this is the kit in its entirety:

DSC02610.jpg

UP UP!

DSC02613.jpg

Old shit gotta go!!!

DSC02614.jpg

Pre-clamping the pieces, since I like to just slide it in as one big unit, Buck.

DSC02616.jpg

Doing a quick comparo: Looks close!

DSC02623.jpg

Decent match:

DSC02622.jpg

DSC02627.jpg

This junction right here will be the ultimate pain in my balls!!! PISS!!!! More on this later.

DSC02619.jpg

Specialty exhaust tool, Bob.

DSC02629.jpg

DSC02630.jpg

Notice how this is all about? I had my muffler shop throw in a resonator behind the catalyst back when the car had loud mufflers. What they did was take the resonator, shove it ALL THE WAY into the cat, then welded the shit out of it. It took 3 saw blades to get thru this shit, only to find out that the cat is essentially ruined. There is about 3-4" of pipe still stuck in there and it protrudes WELL PAST the taper of the catalyst, which is gonna suck for flow and cause turbulence, maybe worse. I can describe it best with MS Paint.

catalyst.jpg

OUT!!!

DSC02631.jpg

I also swapped the mount bracket/spring retainer. I had a '92 style hanger on there, and this kit requires the '94+ style.

Now for the off-the-car comparo:

Perfect

DSC02636.jpg

Sweet

DSC02637.jpg

Eh... workable.

DSC02638.jpg

I took about 4 inches of pipe from the end here (not shown)

DSC02639.jpg

DSC02640.jpg

The ambiguous no-exhaust vid:

th_MOV02635.jpg

Phase 1 install:

Lining it all up before clamping. I only wish that pipe between the Y split and the left muffler didn't dip down. I may have to drill a tiny water drain hole there.

DSC02641.jpg

Tips are just sitting there for now and need to be tack welded:

DSC02645.jpg

DSC02646.jpg

That's where I stopped. I was on this for about 4 hours, including all the adjusting. Now it's off to the exhaust shop to get everything welded up once I get the new catalyst.

Vid of the first start coming shortly. Photobucket keeps failing on me.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brian P

• 19Cutlass94

• RobertISaar

• BXX

vids:

http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e75/rhedalert/Oldsmobile/Exhaust%20Kit/?action=view&current=MOV02635.flv

http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e75/rhedalert/Oldsmobile/Exhaust%20Kit/?action=view&current=MOV02642.flv

I bought a pair of Dynomax whatchacallits.... with the woodpecker logo. They're chambered mufflers and reasonably priced. Not sure if I'll stick with them or not, they may be too loud for what I'm looking for. I obviously can't make a decision until I complete the install and seal the exhaust up at the catalyst.

So for 93 and older cars, you need to swap out the exhaust hanger from being between legs of the the Y to being behind the Y?

So for 93 and older cars, you need to swap out the exhaust hanger from being between legs of the the Y to being behind the Y?

yeah, technically "in front of" the Y though.

Very nice! I'm not sure what you did or what the group buy included, but sweet nonetheless!

Pipes, clamps, and that's about it :lol:

Update:

I spent the better part of Saturday morning getting everything in place, including:

- Sawzalling the old catalyst

- Clamping on the new catalyst which just arrived in the mail

- Lining up everything perfectly, adjusting (bending) all mounts

The two mounting brackets nearest the catalyst had to be bent downward. The OEM brackets sit lower in relation to the pipe, and the new brackets hit the underbody when in the proper position. I just bent them at about a 30 degree angle and it cleared everything.

The second (bigger) problem is the pipe going from the Y-split to the LEFT muffler. It is about 2" too short, which was enough to cause the pipe to constantly work itself off of the rest of the exhaust, and make alignment of the muffler very difficult (also causing it to hit the spare tire well). I was wondering why no matter how tight I made the clamp, the pipe never stopped moving! I bought one 2.5 ID x 2.5 OD adapter and added this to the end of it. Now it lines up great.

See pic http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e75/rhedalert/Oldsmobile/Exhaust%20Kit/DSC02639.jpg

I brought it to a local Meineke where I proceeded to get raped w/o lube to get it welded up, however the welder did a great job.

The Dynomax mufflers I bought do absolutely NOTHING in terms of quieting the exhaust. Having everything welded (except mufflers since I plan on changing them) helped slightly, but the interior and exterior drone are unreal. These mufflers don't dampen worth a shit! All they do is sit there and look pretty.

Link to them: http://summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17656/

I will post more pics of how I mounted everything. The exhaust as a whole is very solid. I will likely go to a turbo-style muffler, something not nearly as loud. Anyone have suggestions?

hmm I need to listen to it on something better then my laptop speakers but it does sound pretty loud. I wish I had a camera to get a decent sound clip of my glasspacks, they arnt too loud at idle or cruising.

hmm I need to listen to it on something better then my laptop speakers but it does sound pretty loud. I wish I had a camera to get a decent sound clip of my glasspacks, they arnt too loud at idle or cruising.

60* motors with glasspacks FTW...

with the rest of the exhaust stock, i love the noise it makes. not extremely loud either.

60* motors with glasspacks FTW...

with the rest of the exhaust stock, i love the noise it makes. not extremely loud either.

I wouldnt say FTW with the glasspacks really. Ive heard Robs exhaust, hell I sold it to him :lol: It sounds good, but not the best it can..

Its quite loud, but it is actually quiter than mine.. Well was, after I redid mine it toned down a bit..

Chambered mufflers really are the way to go on our motors as long as you use a decent size pipe. Glasspacks if thats your thing, then make sure you have a 2.5" catback otherwise it will sound like ass..

Chambered mufflers really are the way to go on our motors as long as you use a decent size pipe. Glasspacks if thats your thing, then make sure you have a 2.5" catback otherwise it will sound like ass..

This man speaks the truth.

Chambered mufflers are good, although I gotta say my mufflers ( straight through ) sound rather good. Last time i drove the car I got complimented on the exhaust. Although My exhaust probably is a little big for the car. As for glasspacks, Id NEVER put them on any car... IMHO

Yeah, you've heard my exhuast :lol:

How much room do you have for mufflers and what size? Ive got a pair of quietflows from NAPA that I need to get rid of.

The existing mufflers have a 13" case and 19" overall. I don't have room for anything longer. What's the story behind the quiet flows? You're not running them anymore?

I was originally considering installing a shorty glasspack directly after the catalyst, but after all the time I invested in lining it all up perfectly, and the high $$$ I spent having it all welded, I am NOT going to make any more cuts in the system. Anything I do has to be with the mufflers, since I told the shop to not weld them to the pipes due to my desire to change them.