ABS Light & Trac Off lights ON in 1998 Grand Prix

pDuB257

My 1998 Grand Prix GT 3.8L WITHOUT the supercharger has a problem with the ABS and Trac Off lights being on. I was wondering exactly what could be causing this? I used a OBDII scan tool but nothing came up except for my idle being too high than it should be; which sounds like a different problem besides these 2 lights being on. Could it be the wheel speed sensor being dirty? Anyone else have this problem? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I had it happen to me when we had about a week of warm, really sloppy driving weather. It was totally random and I figure that it is just a bad connection at one of the wheel speed sensors, as once it got cold again, It went away completely. Come spring, i'm gonna check all the connections and maybe use some dielectric grease on them.

My 02 monte has been doing this all winter. I scanned it with the tech II, but I can't pinpoint a bad sensor because it isn't even reading it. I'm thinking that it might be the EBCM or a connection in that area, but it has been too cold to check. I'm hoping I can buy another EBCM from Ed Morad if it is.

Also been having this problem on my '95 CS this winter. Hope someone comes up with a definate answer cause I don't really want to crawl around under the car in this STILL cold :evil: Chicago weather.

Will winter ever get the hell out of here?!?!?!?!?

Tom

• 3 years later...
My 1998 Grand Prix GT 3.8L WITHOUT the supercharger has a problem with the ABS and Trac Off lights being on. I was wondering exactly what could be causing this? I used a OBDII scan tool but nothing came up except for my idle being too high than it should be; which sounds like a different problem besides these 2 lights being on. Could it be the wheel speed sensor being dirty? Anyone else have this problem? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I have the same problem. All though my car speed is not acting right and I also sometimes have the battery light come on and the heat index goes past 250. When all thoes things does happen my lights go lighter to darker. so. i have the same car type.