3100 Oil Pump Drive Seal UPDATED 2/7 with tb questions..

88red4cyl

Well if you see oil in that area, it's likely the drive seal is bad. You could always change that, then clean up the area and keep an eye out for any other leakage.

That small amount of coolant you're losing though is negligible in all honesty. It could be a tiny leak or it could just be evaporation during that time frame.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 88red4cyl

• Brian P

• rockfangd

• ManicMechanic

Well if you see oil in that area, it's likely the drive seal is bad. You could always change that, then clean up the area and keep an eye out for any other leakage.

That small amount of coolant you're losing though is negligible in all honesty. It could be a tiny leak or it could just be evaporation during that time frame.

I ran my finger through all the muck in that area, and the muck is oil brown, but I am pretty sure I smell a hint of coolant in it as well.. I also saw a couple bright green specs on top of the oil... I don't know if residue is leaking from the LIM, or if it could be from when I changed the thermostat (Nov 07) since I haven't messed in that area since then...

I doubt it'd be from that long ago. These intake gaskets are so problematic.... it's likely you have a small leak. You could either try cleaning the area and inspect it periodically, or run some leak detection dye in the coolant and check it after running it with a UV light.

I doubt it'd be from that long ago. These intake gaskets are so problematic.... it's likely you have a small leak. You could either try cleaning the area and inspect it periodically, or run some leak detection dye in the coolant and check it after running it with a UV light.

I'll probably just try checking it periodically if I can get away with it... Since it is probably leaking some, is that going to make the rest of the gasket degrade more quickly? If its at all possible, I would like to put off fixing it for a while, but I don't want to put the motor in jeopardy by doing so...

If there is in fact a fresh coolant leak, then it's only a matter of time until it gets bad or starts leaking internally. Before you put the cart before the horse, check to see if that's a fresh coolant leak.

If there is in fact a fresh coolant leak, then it's only a matter of time until it gets bad or starts leaking internally. Before you put the cart before the horse, check to see if that's a fresh coolant leak.

Will do... If I spray that area down with brake cleaner, do I need to avoid it coming in contact with the LIM, or will it not hurt anything?

Will do... If I spray that area down with brake cleaner, do I need to avoid it coming in contact with the LIM, or will it not hurt anything?

It must be just '94-95 w's that don't have the TB coolant lines. I was equally surprised yet gratified.

That makes me happy. So basically all you have to do to get to the seal is pull The TB?

It must be just '94-95 w's that don't have the TB coolant lines. I was equally surprised yet gratified.

That makes me happy. So basically all you have to do to get to the seal is pull The TB?

I wish... It was a bit more complicated than that when I started it... You either have to pull the UIM, or the heater pipe to get to it also... And the bottom back bolt is a bitch to get to with the stupid coolant pipe there as well...