3100 Oil Pump Drive Seal UPDATED 2/7 with tb questions..

88red4cyl

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 88red4cyl

• Brian P

• rockfangd

• ManicMechanic

front, meaning if you're looking square at the TB entrance. You'd be standing to the side of the car technically.

Ok.. Here's a pic I just took.. I don't see anything, but I want to be 100% sure..

SSPX0019.jpg

SSPX0018.jpg

No Lines There

AWESOME!! Thanks Adam!! This job is going to be easier than I thought... I absolutely hate bleeding the coolant because I can never get all the air out, but now I don't have to!! :D :D :D

How can you tell if intake gaskets have been replaced? I'm not sure if the o-ring is leaking or if the intake gaskets are leaking oil... Does the oil spray out of the o-ring?

Anybody? Does oil seep out around the o-ring, or does it spray out? If it doesn't spray out, then by the looks of the picture, whatever is next to the oil pump drive (possible LIM?) is leaking the oil...

change the oil pump drive seal first, clean up the area, and keep an eye on it. There's no pressurized oil passing thru the lower intake manifold, so likely it's either residue from the pump drive leak (oil will climb up engine parts) or a small leak between the LIM and block where splashed oil is slowly seeping thru.

thru or a small leak between the LIM and block where splashed oil is slowly seeping thru.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here about splashed oil.. Sorry I'm being dumb. :lol:

inside the engine, oil splashes around (some) in the lifter valley area, under the LIM. If the seals are leaking, oil MAY seep thru, but it's usually minor.

Well, I've lost about 3/4 of a quart in driving the car ~ 200 miles... The thing I can't figure out, is why the oil above the drive seal, is contained to that one spot only... If I look on the other side of the drive seal, there is no oil going up the side of the motor...

you definitely won't lose that much oil from the LIM seal. However with a bad oil pump drive seal you could potentially lose that much. The drive seal almost always leak (until GM changed the rubber content in 2004 or so) so I'd change it and then monitor the area after some driving.

you definitely won't lose that much oil from the LIM seal. However with a bad oil pump drive seal you could potentially lose that much. The drive seal almost always leak (until GM changed the rubber content in 2004 or so) so I'd change it and then monitor the area after some driving.

So I shouldn't worry about the LIM unless I start losing a lot of coolant then?

EDIT- If I remove the UIM, do I have to drain any coolant?

No Coolant In UIM

Thanks Adam! So if I pull the UIM, then I won't have to pull the pipe from the heater core, right? Or will I still have to pull it anyway? I am trying to avoid having to drain coolant at all costs..

You Won't Touch Any Coolant. You Will Need New UIM Gaskets though. they are cheap. and a new TB Gasket.

I know I don't need to pull the pipe for the UIM, but will I have to pull it to get to the drive seal is my question.. I can't see it very well, but it looks like that heater pipe may be in the way...

Well I am back at it this afternoon.. I snapped a couple pics of the LIM where it seems to be seeping from..

S6300741.jpg

S6300745.jpg

I know they aren't very good, but they show it well enough... This is just above and to the right of the oil pump drive, next to whatever that triangle thing is... I also snapped a pic of the LIM on the other side.. There's a bulge of something out of the top of the gasket, would that be RTV or something?

SSPX0024.jpg

yeah that's RTV.

It's hard to tell but that might actually be a slow external coolant leak in your 1st pic.

How can I tell? This car has always had a slow coolant leak somewhere (you can smell it when you run the engine a bit), but I have never been able to track it down... It loses the distance between the hot and cold line over the course of like 9 months or so...

So I should just put it back together and run it for a while to see where the leak comes from then? And will brake cleaner hurt the gasket?