automatic head lights (some info for those interested on pg.2)

jake91

okay im sick of having to switch my light on and off. i want to know is ther any way to add automatic headlights so that they come on when it is dark and shut off when it is light or the car is off. also how can you add daytime running lights, but with this is it possible to have the foglights and parking lights as these. i hope im not asking a pointless question.

thanks jake

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jake91

• ManicMechanic

• Night Fury

• kwk39018

I was working on this and abandoned it when i lost interest in the car.

3100MPFI on gmwbody or 60degreev6 has done it to his 1995 CS coupe.

what did he do the auto lights or drls

what did he do the auto lights or drls

Both.

no its not hard at all :lol:. there is so much light on the roads out here that you can drive without lights so i always forget till im down the road a half mile and then my mom always cant figure out how to turn them on when she drives because she hasnt had to turn headlights in a car on since 1989 so its more of a conveinience thing than lazyness :lol: :lol:

Not to sound like an ass but, is it really that hard to push one button to have the light come on and off.That is very lazy.

Apparently so, since all new cars come with this feature. I like the idea also, and would like to add DRLs to my '95 vert to bring it into the 21st century. Already have an extra headlight switch to add another on off switch to for the DRLs. Plus I have a couple of other ideas along those lines, but don't want to give away trade secrets just yet :lol:

Jake, keep us posted on your results please.

Tom

I actually disabled this option on my 97 because I didn't want DRL's. IMO, I hate DRL's and because they were on the same circuit as the auto lights, they are gone too.

Now I can drive around stealth at night. lol.. But I'd rather control all of the options on the car myself.

:dunno: I really like this feature... I am horrible at forgetting to turn my lights on at dusk/dawn because I can see the road even though its getting dark out... And I like the way the car looks with the DRLs on... Just a personal preference i guess... If you figure out how to do this Jake, let me know as well...

i look at it as you have to have your lights on at night anyway so why do you need the control

I used to need to turn them off when coming home late at night when I was in HS...

...or pulling up to my ex gf's house with a dozen dead roses on Valentines Day, and leaving them in her mailbox while trying to not be seen...

Whichever you choose to do.

I like the Auto lights on my '01, but I wish there was an easy way (aside from using the parking brake) to disable them.

:nana: 97-00's can just unplug the DRL heatsink behind the light switch on the dash.

I like the Auto lights on my '01, but I wish there was an easy way (aside from using the parking brake) to disable them.

:nana: 97-00's can just unplug the DRL heatsink behind the light switch on the dash.

A common "mod" lol

My '90 Lumina has auto lights but the sensor on the dash is fucked right up and thinks it's dark all the time - thereofre the lights are on all the time. Not really a big deal to me either way.

My '90 Lumina has auto lights but the sensor on the dash is fucked right up and thinks it's dark all the time - thereofre the lights are on all the time. Not really a big deal to me either way.

My '92 Cutlass Supreme has the exact same issue... I don't mind either though :lol:

here is some info i got he told me he will make a write up for it once i get the parts so if anyone wants to do this you will have to contact him yourself because i wont be doing this for a while there were pics but the arent showing up here

will do what I can to help you out.

First of all do you have any wiring skills? Do you have a multimeter that can test both for VOLTAGE, and for CONTINUITY?

Next, in order to add DRL's and AUTO headlights to you car, you will need to get some parts from a junkyard.

You will need the DRL module, the DIODE box, and the light sensor on the dash. The easiest way to get these parts is to look for a 1996 or newer GEN 1 w-body. 1996 Grand Prix, 1996-1997 Cutlass Supreme, 1996 Regal.

The light sensor is mounted in the DEFROSTER GRILL on the top of the dash. Both the DRL module, and the DIODE BOX are under the DRIVERS SIDE of the dash attached to the box that the EBCM is in.

What I recommend doing is finding a car that has them, and pull out as much of the wiring as you can. I would try to get the whole dash harness out out of the car, untape it, and pull each wire out. You are going to have to add in some wires, mount some things, etc.

The easiest way to see if a car in the junkyard has DRL's is to open the DRIVERS DOOR, remove the side cover on the dash (it is just a jellybean shaped access panel that pulls right off), and shine a light in there (there might be enough daylight to see it), and look for the DIODE BOX. It is PURPLE.

Here are some pics to show you what to look for.

This is the inside of the drivers side access panel. The dark purple box is the DIODE BOX. If a car has that purple thing, then it has DRL's.

This is the underside of the drivers side of the dash. This is just looking up on the underside of the dash. You can see the EBCM (ABS computer), the DIODE BOX, and the DRL MODULE.

If you get those 2 modules, and the sensor in the defroster grill (I don't have a pic of it, but if you pull the dash grill off you will see it in the underside. You just twist it off. It will be BLUE in colour), then you will have everything but the wiring diagram. Get those parts, and I will do a write up for you on how to wire it into your car.