auto tranny

Steve LS

OK we went way off on that 5sp conversion. I didnt find out much from anyone that had the original tranny rebuilt. Approximate costs? things to know? Possible upgrades? Will a rebuilder be able to find parts? If not where can I find a rebuild kit & parts? Anything else?

I'm looking at it tomorrow. I think the guy is a little high for a car with 138,000 and bad tranny. Sounds like 1500.00 is as low as he'd go w/rebuild 1500.I'd have 3000.00 into a car w/138,000 miles on it. That could be waiting to kick me in the butt for another 1000.00 at any time. Rare or not a highmile rare car still has no resale value. I guess it runs strong , has sun roof , cloth grey int, red ext, only a few small dings, no rust , everything works , some new stuff including stainless crossover pipe. What do you think?

This is why I asked in first post what to look for. At 138,000 what do you guys think would go bad next?

I did tell you it would be about $1500 for a reputable tranny shop to do a rebuild. They will do all of the upgrades that GM posted for that tranny to date. Most tranny shops have easy access to all of the components to that tranny. Do not take your tranny to Joe Dipshit's tranny shop because he said he can save you $300 on a build...it will cost you severely in the end!

Anything else you say...yes do not buy this car unless you are prepared to have it run like a 13 year old car and put $$ into it at any given moment. They are good looking cars, but they are prone to the same problems if not more that any other 12 year old car!