90- 94 Lumina Dash Top

HuffDaddy

High all, I am new to the forum and am very excited to have a southern 1990 Lumina. No rust 76K origional miles, Super clean for the year but there is one problem; being a southern car it spent its time in the hot sun which took its toll on the dash top which is SEVERLY warped. Has anyone pulled one?? I see the screws under the front lip, are there any others or do I just pull the screws, speaker grills, defrost vent and remove the cap?

Any help is greatly apreciated.

It is just the top pad, the rest is in pretty good shape suprizingly. I would just buy one from JC whitney but as far as I can tell they are a abs overlay which will not work because this thing has become concave lol. I dont think it will cooperate with a molded cover.

there are some you need to get in the defrost vent with like five feet of extensions. Don't hit the windshield with the ratchet and crack it ( :redface:) good thing it wasa JY car

What?!

It's 4 or 5 7mm bolts underneath it above the speedo/climate controls.

there are some you need to get in the defrost vent with like five feet of extensions. Don't hit the windshield with the ratchet and crack it ( :redface:) good thing it wasa JY car

What?!

It's 4 or 5 7mm bolts underneath it above the speedo/climate controls.

Correct. Also a great time to replace the dash speakers.

7mm socket. Take off the top to the glove box, easier with it off.

What? We're talking about Lumina's not CS's.

I've never seen the velcro thing, are both of your cars 90's?

There are clips that help to slide it into place and seat it. There is also "felt" that probably keeps it from squeking on the dash but thats all I know of.

Anyone tried one of the JC Whitney Dash Caps?? After a run through a couple local junk yards I have decided that Lumina Dashes in this area are all warped :sad:; I almost ordered the cap but I dont want to spend $120.00 just to find out that it wont sit right because it is supposed to go over the factory piece (which again I say is in bad shape).

If I can not find a solution I will have to go with a less warped dash pad, glue it back down and get one of those carpet mats that go over it :mad:.

Suggestions are welcome.

You can glue your pad, mine was warped pretty bad. So i bought a new one off ebay (which was supposed to be perfect and wasn't but it was better than what i had) You know the drill, got ripped off there..oh well.

Anyways, after the new one warped and it got real bad, i took it off and me and a friend used some liquid nails on the sucker. and its holding up great! It look pretty darn good. I'll snap some pictures of it ASAP.

On a side note, if you dont like how it looks it will probably get you to where you need to be to put the JC whitney pad over it. (Although i have not seen one in person so i dont know about that for sure)