Weird vac hose + EVAP Purge valve on L36

xtremerevolution

I'm having some trouble fixing a 96 regal issue with a Series 2 3800. I had the SES engine code scanned and it showed an EVAP Purge Valve issue, so I figured I would replace that. I bought one off rockauto.com, but I'll be damned if I can figure out where in the world it's located in this car. Anyone have any idea? I can't figure out where on the engine to save my life.

The second part is a vacuum hose. I took apart and put back together the entire intake with the exception of one hose. I noticed the leak when the engine was idling strange and it was making a loud hissing noise, so I finally found it. Toward the back of the intake plenum is a plastic hose piece that comes out of the plenum, which the brake booster line plugs into. However, there's another opening from that same piece going upward that didn't have a vacuum hose plugged into it. Does anyone know where this one might go to? Any pictures would be greatly appreciated. For now I have that plugged off so the engine idles smooth, but I still need to figure out what it plugged into.

That goes to the heater control. May have just been capped though, not sure on the Buicks. Purge selenoid (valve?) is on the front valve cover at the fuel rail on top kinda between the intake and valve cover. Hope this helps.

That would be the canister purge solenoid/vavle. There should be an evan purge vavle elsewhere on the vehicle. For example, I have the canister purge valve by the intake, and an evap purge vavle underneath the car, near the gas tank.

That would be the canister purge solenoid/vavle. There should be an evan purge vavle elsewhere on the vehicle. For example, I have the canister purge valve by the intake, and an evap purge vavle underneath the car, near the gas tank.

I checked near the gas tank and didn't find anything, but I'll check again tomorrow.

I know this must sound stupid, but where is that hose go in the heater core (Where's the heater core)?

Heater core is in the dash.

The w-body location will most likely be different. Look for a green cap on a hose in the engine bay, that is your EVAP line. Follow that line back to the EVAP valve.

Heater core is in the dash.

The w-body location will most likely be different. Look for a green cap on a hose in the engine bay, that is your EVAP line. Follow that line back to the EVAP valve.

Alright, good to know about the heater core. So where does that vacuum hose go, lol.

the canister should be in the driver side rear wheel house area.

The canister is indeed there, but the purge valve isn't. There aren't any wires going to that canister.

looking in my chiltons, the only pic they have of the evap purge valve is on the 3100. and its by the coils. the 3800 should be similar.

There is a little device, but that device has two hoses plugged into it. The replacement evap purge valve had one hose connector. Not sure what to do there. I'll take a picture if I can find where I put it.

can you take a pic of your culprit hose. some can be identified by size/length/appearance

The hose wasn't there. I must have lost the original when I took apart the intake. All I have is a little snout that comes up that a hose goes inside. I'll take pictures of that though later today.

I'll take a picture of mine tonight, so you know what you look for.

Thank you. Much appreciated.

Crap, not gonna happen, getting ready to head to New Jersey.

However, I know of a picture of the valve your looking for with a location. I'll get you the link to it tonight.

The hissing noise from that hose is a snake.

Remove the snake.

The hose that isn't a snake gets connected right behind the snake.

The hose is a snake.

All of this is located on your car.

It's definitely a snake if it goes "hissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss."

If it goes "schhhhhhhhhhhshhsssssshsiisisisisissihhhhshhhhhhhiiishsssssssssss."

Then its probably just a hose somewhere.

The hissing noise from that hose is a snake.

Remove the snake.

The hose that isn't a snake gets connected right behind the snake.

The hose is a snake.

All of this is located on your car.

It's definitely a snake if it goes "hissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss."

If it goes "schhhhhhhhhhhshhsssssshsiisisisisissihhhhshhhhhhhiiishsssssssssss."

Then its probably just a hose somewhere.

Man, I know its a hose. You know how I know? I put it there. All that there was there before was a hole where a hose would plug into, and when you put your finger on the hole, the engine idles quieter and it stops hissing. Now that hose goes somewhere, and it sure as hell ain't up my ass.

LMAO!!!

That's the funniest thing I've seen all day. LOL

Wow, it hurts, hahaha.

But on a more friendly note,

You bastard. You of all people should be able to help me, since you have the same car. Where in this damned car does that hose plug into?

lol, ok.

maybe this could help?

p_00303.jpg

or

p_00302.jpg

The funny thing is the exact thing with the hose happened to me to, after I changed my upper intake gaskets.

I forgot which hose it was, but I remember the rough idle.

It bounces around 800, but if you barley tough the accelerator, it goes up to 1500, then stays there for about 2.5 seconds, then goes back down.

Alright, cool. Those asshats over at rockauto must have sent me the wrong EVAP purge valve then, because the one they sent me doesn't look the same as the one that's there.

Lastly, the vacuum hose I need to find a place for is toward the rear of the intake manifold, where the brake booster line goes in. The brake booster hose goes into a plastic fitting, which has two holes; one for that brake booster hose, and one that goes upward. I need to know where the one that goes upward goes to.

Thanks for the help btw.