The Great LQ1 3.4L DOHC Debate Thread (Post Your Hate Here!)

GP1138

My gripe is that mine spun a bearing(s) at 193,000miles! I expected a whole lot more then that out of it.

Other then that it has been bar none the most reliable engine I've ever owned, and that is compared to 3800s and SBCs.

... says the man who did a smokey burnout in front of a cop in Kennsington...

You're just jealous because you kept stalling it out! :lol:

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oldscsc

• ManicMechanic

• Euro

• jeremy

I love the engine, minus a few things:

- Not a good design. Who the hell, in there right mind, modify's a pushrod block to accept dohc heads???

- Alternator in a piss poor location. Granted, I had it down to a science (45 minutes!), and there isn't exactly a better spot for it (OEM would have never put in in the compressor location do the the insane amount of extra AC tubing that would be required).

- It can be a bit finicky, and requires a person with some bit of mechanical skill to own one. Don't know how to do anything besides rotate tires, change oil, etc.... don't bother.

Ive never owned one and probably wouldnt. In fact i rarely ever see them around here. I think most have been junked when people realize how much a mechanic is going to charge them for a timing belt! If you know how to work on them i then it would be worth it to buy one. But if you need to take it to a mechanic for most repairs i would stay FAR away!

FWIW my 3.1 lumina and 3100 GP both had decent power. No race car but it had enough power for normal driving.

My Euro 3.1 wasn't bad. nice at 60MPH. I hate the fact that both my 3.4's (in my Z and GTP) leak oil (a quart every week or 2) from that stupid "cut off" disriputor. Other than that slap on some flowmasters and it sounds like an old 350.

My Euro 3.1 wasn't bad. nice at 60MPH. I hate the fact that both my 3.4's (in my Z and GTP) leak oil (a quart every week or 2) from that stupid "cut off" disriputor. Other than that slap on some flowmasters and it sounds like an old 350.

Just the mufflers, or cat too :rolleyes:

Tom

Ive owned a 2.8, a 3.1, and a 3100. all the most gutless things. just not enough power for a 3300lb car. ive been beat by almost everything ive raced, including slow ass civics n shit.

I've rode in 92 GTP/auto....wasnt too impressed. felt it was a lil quicker up higher but still meh.

And just recently I drove a GTP/5spd at the green lake park meet in the parking lot. damn was that a whole nother world. Id prolly only bother with an LQ1 if it was manual.

Had a 94' GTP for a couple of years. It was a love/hate relationship.

fd9c3f65.jpg

I loved the way it ran, sounded, etc. but I hated the fact that it'd leave me stranded on a whim.

It was the first car I ever had that was quick and attractive too. I'd had a couple of fast cars beforehand, but the GTP was the first one that wasn't covered in primer, bondo & other unattractive bits.

Been nerding out, basically...between work & WoW, I don't have time for much else.

Call it a "balanced addiction". :mrgreen:

I'm seriously considering buying a PS3, after seeing the car list, if it turns out to be true...

Chevrolet Lumina Z34 Coupe ‘93

Chevrolet Lumina Z34 Coupe Pace Car ‘94

Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Pace Car ‘88

Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme International 3.4L ‘91

Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme I Series 2dr. ‘93

Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL Coupe ‘97

Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL Convertible ‘97

Pontiac Grand Prix McLaren Turbo ‘88

Pontiac Grand Prix GTP ‘95

Yeah, I might just have to buy a PS3 now lol W-Body relapse.

Chevrolet Lumina Z34 Coupe Pace Car '94

Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL Convertible '97

Pontiac Grand Prix McLaren Turbo '88

:thinking:

Where is Rob when you need him?!

Chevrolet Lumina Z34 Coupe Pace Car '94

Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL Convertible '97

Pontiac Grand Prix McLaren Turbo '88

:thinking:

Where is Rob when you need him?!

didn't he go out east to pick up another Intrigue?

Worst thread ever. By far. It should end with "(Post your hate here.. IF YOU'VE OWNED ONE)"

And yes, Rob was just here gulching Chris.

I agree, half the people that bitch about them haven't even owned one.

Worst thread ever. By far. It should end with "(Post your hate here.. IF YOU'VE OWNED ONE)"

And yes, Rob was just here gulching Chris.

I agree, half the people that bitch about them haven't even owned one.

That was sort of the point, to see if people who had actually owned one and worked on them have hate for them rather than just people saying "LOLZ ENJUN BAE IZ TITE I KANT WURK ON DAT ROFL"

I have had lots of experience with all w-body motors, there all good motors(with ex of 2.8 and rod problems)but the LQ1 is the only one thats fast without having a blower- the 3.1 and 3.8 both run good but need boost to be baaadddd!!! as for the trans. the LQ1 response well to a 3000 stall converter and some basic internal upgrades to the 4t60e and with the right package has no problem blowing away a supercharged 3.8 due to the higher rpms. :mrgreen: