The Great LQ1 3.4L DOHC Debate Thread (Post Your Hate Here!)

GP1138

So I felt like we were taking over xtremerevolution's thread, and we LQ1 loyalists need to dispell some rumors about this misunderstood engine.

- It is not hard to work on

- Yes, the engine bay looks daunting.. The plenum is the hardest part of the engine to remove. Not talking accessories here, just engine itself.

- Yes, it takes more than a few minutes to change the timing belt. Yes, it can be a bitch if you're not prepared or want to modify the timing.

I'd still rather have one than the 3100 (without the 3400 intake swap.)

Let's hear your arguments against the motor! Bring it on!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oldscsc

• ManicMechanic

• Euro

• jeremy

Not a single repair done in two years. Makes adequate power for a V6 moving a two ton car (can't say that about the 3100), loves to rev (no 3100 here either) and sounds good, even with stock exhaust.

It's HEAVY...Poorly designed...No aftermarket unless you spend a few thousand dollars on parts you can get for a 3100/3400 for cheaper.

I don't think aftermarket is a fair arguement. I was talking about the engine itself. An Olds small block doesn't have near the aftermarket a Chevy does, but it is designed better and...different arguement.

Not having OBD 1 does suck, I fully agree with that.

But it's still a heavy engine in an already heavy car.

Agreed, how much does it weight exactly? I know it's heavy, but...a car that weighs 3700 pounds shouldn't be powered by a 3.1. Maybe not even a V6 at all :twisted:

Agreed, how much does it weight exactly? I know it's heavy, but...a car that weighs 3700 pounds shouldn't be powered by a 3.1. Maybe not even a V6 at all :twisted:

How do you think it would do in my 3200 lb Lumina? :flamingdevil:

How do you think it would do in my 3200 lb Lumina? :flamingdevil:

I wish they would have put carbed V8's in them :gears:...or Duramax's, :lol:even though they weren't out in '94

RWD V8 powered CSC would be absolutely crazy.

it still moves the car a lot better the a 3.1 or a 3100 will...

But most people that buy these cars aren't out to race them.

it still moves the car a lot better the a 3.1 or a 3100 will...

But most people that buy these cars aren't out to race them.

I wasn't talking about racing them. I wouldn't take either engine if my goal was to race. The power of 3.1/3100 is pathetic even for daily driving.....merging onto a highway with one of those engines in rush hour traffic is down right scary...

Oh please. 3.1, MAYBE, but the 3100 is far from scary merging onto the highway. :rolleyes:

the 3100 is pretty damn gutless too in a car the size of a w-body...my slow ass 4cyl auto Spyder could, and did leave my '97 Cutlass behind without a problem on multiple occasions...

I've had three different LQ1 powered w-bodies, ranging from ~35k-175k on the odometer when I got rid of them....I would buy another one in a heartbeat if the right one was presented at a good time....I would own another pushrod w-body too, but it would have to be a REALLY wicked deal that popped up.

Oh please. 3.1, MAYBE, but the 3100 is far from scary merging onto the highway. :rolleyes:

Michigan, I'd believe that. Rush hour traffic in metro Detroit or even Chicago or ATL I'd be wary of how I merged. 3.4L I've got no problem. The 3100 wasn't bad either, but it still ran out of breath up high.