The Great LQ1 3.4L DOHC Debate Thread (Post Your Hate Here!)

GP1138

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oldscsc

• ManicMechanic

• Euro

• jeremy

i believe the 3.4 is a plenty capable motor it just needs the correct mods and a good tune to unleash its full potential. red and black cutlass over on 60* did 6/6 timing, an ls1 maf and a good tune and ran a 15 flat, i think that speaks for itself.

advance the intake cams 6 degrees and retard the exhaust cams 6 degrees.

Please excuse my ignorance :redface: How exactly does this affect the engine?

And I assume the cams are two and two, intake and exhaust?

well with the 6/6 timing it boosts the power in the mid to top end, for five speed cars just a 13 degree exhaust will really improve the top end which is already quite good. and as far as sound, put any non stock exhaust on a 3800 and see if you can get any kind of decent tone out of one of those, i think the 3.4 is much easier to get a nice sound out of.

Michigan, I'd believe that. Rush hour traffic in metro Detroit or even Chicago or ATL I'd be wary of how I merged. 3.4L I've got no problem. The 3100 wasn't bad either, but it still ran out of breath up high.

Some parts of ATL are getting a little better. I'm sure there are still plenty of shitty areas to merge into traffic though. I remember having to merge from a dead stop in rush hour traffic into traffic that was traveling between 60-80mph. You pretty much had to have something decently quick in order to avoid getting rearended.

And speaking of the LQ1, I don't mind them at all. I don't particularly want a LQ1 powered w-body though. :wink: I've got a LQ1 crate motor that I'm going to swap into something rwd eventually.

I love both my LQ1's and the sound they make and how ballzy they are... not many cars can chirp the tires by tapping the gas pedal and only going to 3k rpms... that happened at school the other day... heres my exhaust, all stock 156k on the clock with alot of rust.

I love both my LQ1's and the sound they make and how ballzy they are... not many cars can chirp the tires by tapping the gas pedal and only going to 3k rpms... that happened at school the other day... heres my exhaust, all stock 156k on the clock with alot of rust.

That actually sounds similar to my 3.1 lumina, although my muffler is a bit puffy.

My gripe is that mine spun a bearing(s) at 193,000miles! I expected a whole lot more then that out of it.

Other then that it has been bar none the most reliable engine I've ever owned, and that is compared to 3800s and SBCs.

LQ1s are great motors, that's all I can say. Mine has been good to me. I just passed 119,000 miles and it is still going strong, I bought the car less than a year ago with 104,000 miles... as you can tell I drive it a lot. Two things have gone wrong for me, starter and alternator. Both things that could really be expected for a car of it's age/mileage. I have no doubt the engine will break 200k if I keep up proper maintenance. I see LQ1 cars in the wrecker a lot and all of them have well over 200k on the clock, how can somebody say that's a bad engine? Even if maintenance is difficult, so what? They just keep going and going.

My gripe is that mine spun a bearing(s) at 193,000miles! I expected a whole lot more then that out of it.

Other then that it has been bar none the most reliable engine I've ever owned, and that is compared to 3800s and SBCs.

... says the man who did a smokey burnout in front of a cop in Kennsington...

I have not owned one, driven one, or ridden in one, so I really have nothing to say about this motor, except that I would love to drive one sometime. :cool:

edit: 5-speed.. I want to hear this LQ1 scream!