Need Help, Top replacment

Gorn

I got this kit:

http://www.convertibletopguys.com/cgi-local/displaycat.cgi?cat=501

CONV-C-163-PKG.PPT.PC

I removed the liner and some of the trim today. I was expecting to see staples in the front bow and all along the bottom of the window. The only place I saw them was at the Quarters. I am not sure how the top attachs to the fron bow. The base of the window almost looks like a big pc of tape? The how to instruction are very generic.

My questions are:

Is there any install info specific to the CS that I can access? Pics would be awesome.

Is there any must have suppies I need before I start that is not in the above kit?

I have an air staple gun, various sping clamps, as a X-mechanic I have most standard hand tools.

Are there any other must have tools?

there are vert specific books on this and how to break down the top with exploded pics and everything but i think they sell on ebay for like $120. BUt its not just the top its the whole car in the book.

I too need to replace my top but i will probably just save myself the trouble and bring it to a shop rather than mess something up, and that is what most people do i think if they are vert eliterate. as i am. the shop around me said they would do it for 700 so i dont think thats bad, but i am giving them a rear window.

sorry i cant help a whole lot, i just wanted to put in my 2 cents.

I replaced my top last month. I have a generic book and a book specific for the cutlass. Throw the generic one away. There is a link to a pdf file of a '95 Cutlass top replacement on this forum site. Look at topic "Upper/Lower Fill Line !?"

Make sure you get the correct staple sizes (length). This is one area that the generic book leads you astray. I had a hard time finding stainless steel staples, but found that "Monel" is an alternative.

I replaced my top last month. I have a generic book and a book specific for the cutlass. Throw the generic one away. There is a link to a pdf file of a '95 Cutlass top replacement on this forum site. Look at topic "Upper/Lower Fill Line !?"

Thanks man, that was just what I was looking for.

Make sure you get the correct staple sizes (length). This is one area that the generic book leads you astray. I had a hard time finding stainless steel staples, but found that "Monel" is an alternative.

Do you have a link for those staples? I have not had a lot of luck. I was about to hand grind my 1/2 down to 1/4 and use a small detail brush and some rustolem and coat each staple. I need to move this project along. I am told I should do the install on a hot day and I am running out of those. If I dont it will be to loose and flapping on the hot days

I actually had a hard time finding the 1/2". Neither Lowes nor Home Depot carried either on in my area. Stanley makes the 1/4" Monel staples. Check at the hardware stores. If they don't have them, they probably can order them.

Then theres always e-bay.