sloshman

So in general trying to swap in front ends and bumpers from different W-bodies is a bad idea both mechanically wise and cosmetically? has anyone seen many 97-2003 or any GTPs without the stock spoiler? I don't particularly like them. Finally, anyone have ideas from what cars to get cheap stock rims, like 16 inch or 17 inch wheels from base full size sedans. I have a 98 GP se with the 15 inch steel wheels and yep they look small hehe. Thanks for reading.

i think it would be much easier just to buy a GT or GTP. they have the better looking bumpers, have spoilers, and have 16" wheels. some of those wheels looks very nice too!(see below)

you will also like the added power the 3800 makes over the 3100.

So in general trying to swap in front ends and bumpers from different W-bodies is a bad idea both mechanically wise and cosmetically? has anyone seen many 97-2003 or any GTPs without the stock spoiler? I don't particularly like them. Finally, anyone have ideas from what cars to get cheap stock rims, like 16 inch or 17 inch wheels from base full size sedans. I have a 98 GP se with the 15 inch steel wheels and yep they look small hehe. Thanks for reading.

why not go to the local junkyard and throw some old xlaces or some old 5-spokes, they should bolt right up. shoot, you might get lucky and find a set off of a newer grand with some decent looking rims!

You shouldn't have too much trouble swapping bumpers. While I have never done this myself, it shouldn't be too bad. Although that question might be better answered by searching other Grand Prix forums.

Your wheels will be plug and play with any type of 5 spoke or crosslace from any 97-03 GP.

As for the spoiler, you could get one and have your trunk lid drilled and get it mounted, but it might be cheaper (and maybe easier) to just buy a trunk lid with a spoiler and have it painted or get one that matches.

i installed a spoiler on the trunk lid of my old lumina. installing a spoiler is very easy if you are careful... I masked the contact areas on the trunk lid (to avoid sctatches) and adjusted the spoiler till is was in the right spot... and marked where the pegs would go through.. set the spoiler aside and drilled away.

the 97+ only got 16" rims/hubcaps so how do you have 15"??? post up a pic

No, 97+ GP's came with 15in hubcaps, and the Regals and centuries came with 15in hubcaps, as well as 15in aluminum wheels. The intrigues only came with 16in aluminum wheels, and I believe that all the Impalas were only 16in, whether they were rims/hubcaps or aluminum wheels.

• 1 month later...

thanks everyone for your replies and heres a couple of pics. And correct me if I'm wrong but I was asking if anyone had a car WITHOUT a spoiler since I DON'T like the spoilers. But If crazy K says its easy to put one on, it shouldnt be too hard to take one off :biggrin:

Lol Jeremy, usually the only "whale fin" or spoiler on body or trunk without space between the two that i like are the early ninetys or so 911 turbos and 240Zs. I saw a GTP with the other more common type spoiler (space between the trunk and spoiler) and I liked that and would put that on a GTP. IMO 97-03 wings are too common and feel too tacked on to me and somewhat poorly executed. Some of the aftermarket "whale fin" spoilers are ok like SLPs.

This might be the wrong forum to ask this but in terms of performance, does the spoiler really help? I mean downforce only really comes into play at or above 65 mph right?