'90 Lumina Euro - Rear brakes and parking brake

vtirocz

I installed new rotors, calipers and pads on the rear of my '90 Lumina Euro about 5,000 miles/8 months ago. At that time, I noticed the passenger side rear brakes looked a lot more worn than the drivers side rear brakes.

Just the other day, I hear a grinding metal on metal sound and it turns out my passenger side rear rotor is trashed. A significant amount of material has been scored away on the rotor. The calipers seem to be working fine. Although the parking brake seems fine, i'm thinking the problem may be the parking brake. The drivers side rear brakes seem to be working excellent.

What problems do these cars have with the parking brake?

What are some common problems with the rear brakes?

Thanks.

Could be a sticking caliper, could be a sticking e-brake. Try to push the piston back in that caliper, or pop the wheel off and get a friend to cycle the e-brake a few times and watch what happens.

Jamie

on the early brakes, there was a spring that had to go on one side of the brakes (what side it actually is escapes me right now) for the parking brake to properly release my car was missing that and after setting the parking brake it would not release correctly.

• 4 weeks later...

Would disabling the e-brake cause any problems? I think the e-brake mechanism is what adjusts the rear brakes on these cars. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think the e-brake mechanism is what adjusts the rear brakes on these cars

You think correctly. I wouldn't disable the parking brake, you'll notice both rear calipers seizing much sooner than usual.