3.4 DOHC swap into a GP coupe

PontiacMark

just wondering how big of a hassle id be getting myself into with that. i have a 95 se coupe with the 3100. always loved the gtp's. i want a boost in power. any advice or info?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• PontiacMark

• RobertISaar

• oldscsc

You could use that money and put it into the 3100 and get some decent results also. IMO the 3.4 isnt worth all the hastle of installing and then maintaining.

You could use that money and put it into the 3100 and get some decent results also. IMO the 3.4 isnt worth all the hastle of installing and then maintaining.

fwiw: you couldn't do shit performance wise to a 3100 for $350

....what is the mileage on LQ1 in question?

fwiw: you couldn't do shit performance wise to a 3100 for $350

:werd: x4843

I love how all the LQ1 haters have never had one.

I hate the LQ1 and I have had one!!

thats because we know better....besides, when the old man has been a mechanic for 25 years, and whenever one of those wizzbang 3.4 DOHC motors shows up, he bids it way high, and tells em to go to hell.

not worth the time. or money.

just wondering how big of a hassle id be getting myself into with that. i have a 95 se coupe with the 3100. always loved the gtp's. i want a boost in power. any advice or info?

Swap might be a hassle, but the added power and moddability (custom timing FTW) is worth it. It's really not that hard to fix, besides the alternator.

I love how all the LQ1 haters have never had one.

I hate the LQ1 and I have had one!!

thats because we know better....besides, when the old man has been a mechanic for 25 years, and whenever one of those wizzbang 3.4 DOHC motors shows up, he bids it way high, and tells em to go to hell.

not worth the time. or money.

You listen to someone who doesn't want to work on them? So you know better? Seriously what do you know about them?!

I wouldn't trade my 3.4 for anything... well, anything else that came in a grand prix that is. It's not so much as a PITA as everyone says it is.

not 100% sure on mileage, but ive always loved those motors. anyone know where to get a tune? i want that original 275 hp they were intended to have

not 100% sure on mileage, but ive always loved those motors. anyone know where to get a tune? i want that original 275 hp they were intended to have

144xxx. tranny has a habit of randomly coming out of overdrive though. seems it always happens when the tstat opens (180). still can figure that out. i wish someone had answers.

anyone know where to get a tune? i want that original 275 hp they were intended to have

if you can figure out how to unlock power to get you to 275hp NA with a just a tune you will be the smartest person ever to walk this planet

im definitely not that smart. lol. i know when the motor was first produced, it was supposedly rated at 275. the tranny was the issue.

Ohh god did you read that on the stupid NOOB 3.4 site?!

The engines never made that power.

they can/do now since ben is good with them but it's more than a tune and cam timing away.

to swap you need more than engine, trans, wiring harness.

you need:

exhaust downpipe

steering hoses

heater lines from core out to engine

there is more i am sure i'm forgetting. i pioneered this swap back in the day and having done it both with a donor car on hand and just an engine/trans, it is soooo much better to do with a donor car.

do it, you will not be disappointed. i do recommend a brand new alternator while the engine is staring you in the face but i can do one in 20 minutes now so its not a huge deal. the only thing you need to worry about with the 3.4 is keeping on the timing belt like any other motor with belt driven cams.