red95cutlass

Hey,

I have a 1996 Olds Cutlass Supreme coupe that I am getting repaired so I can sell it. I have had a horrible experience with a mechanic (again). I say again because I have tried 4 different mechanics around Atlanta and it's all the same - they fix one part but break other parts! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The current yahoo was hired to fix my transmission and replace the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets. The worst part is that I found him on this website! A week and a half and $1699.58 dollars later, I still have a studdering transmission! As if this is bad enough, I will sum up the rest of the problems below:

New dent in the drivers side door

broke my remote for my stereo

I am now missing the bolt to hold down the air box

missing three nuts off of the engine on the upper intake and by the alternator

I have to clean the console because of the dried Coca-Cola in and around the cup holder

the leather steering wheel cover, which I sent to someone in Texas to re cover for $350.00, has two new GOUGES in it!

The guy said that he didn't have a way to get it aligned after the transmission job --- so now I have to pay for the f&%king thing to be aligned!

...and he tried to give the car back to me with NO GAS! I had a half a tank when I gave it to him!

Why me? What did I do to deserve this every Gawd Damned time? Why do mechanics feel they can take what they want from my car and I wouldn't notice? Is this typical? Have you guys had this happen?

Depending on the outcome, I may have to alert the community depending what this guy does to fix everything. I don't want him to just jam bolts on either, I want MY parts back.

I really hope that I am the unluckiest SOB around that keeps picking these mechanics. I would hate to hear that you guys go through this too. I am one of these guys that loves their car and I know everything going on with it. If I had the space, I would do everything myself and never let anyone touch it.

Thanks for reading, I just had to vent and get this out.

See ya.

You just dropped well over $1699.58 dollars on it and you are still selling it? Do you expect to make any profit on the sale?

x2

Your mechanic sounds like the guy I had do my cylinder head gaskets. The "3 days tops" job took him 3 weeks, my car was COVERED in greasy finger prints inside, outside and especailly the engine bay, bolts went missing...

The lesson I learned? NO ONE touches my car except me and people I KNOW I can trust.

Jamie

often times places will use cars for their personal use, and their excuse is that they are "test driving"

Id go back and get what you can out of them. It may not be much, but do what you can.

Who the hell on this site did that to you? I would kill someone if they did that to my car. Id look into getting a lawyer and see what he can do to get you your money back.

Who the hell on this site did that to you?

Just to clarify... I think its not the mechanic on the site but the person that recommended the mechanic. At that rate it could be a case of more care going in to the original customers car than the new customer.

What DID this guy fix for the $1700??

Jamie

Well, he successfully (I hope) installed the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets and replaced O-ring.

The original problem was that the trans would slip going into 2nd gear and I couldnt drive up hills. His answer was to disconnect my trans and bolt on a known good trans of a 96 Buick Regal he had to fix the problem. Then when he got it running, it was slipping too. He looked at the computer and found that it was turning on the torque converter at the wrong time. Then he swapped the computer from the regal into mine and said it was working better. If I drive like a grandma it doesn't shudder. But if I need to get around someone, it does. He and I think it has to do with the computer. The plan now is for him to take my car to get the firmware replaced on my computer.

I am a little sad to say this, but ... you guys will get a laugh. When I called him and told him that it is not up to snuff, he actually told me that it might be MICE that chewed on my wiring. OMG!

I am stuck right now, guys. I can't put another dime into this car. The guy said he would give me five more hours to diagnose the problem (which he should have done already, dammit). If I take it someplace else, I will surely have to pay alot more.

You guys commented that I spent 1700 to sell this car. How much would you pay for a Cutlass with a slipping trans? I know its worth more than 500. I will get it fixed and then sell her for as much as possible. We have 2 cars now because I picked up a 08 G6 (my first new car) to replace the Cutlass.

Thanks again for all of the support!

Holy wow man, if I paid $1600 to get my car fixed, I'd expect the car to fellate me as I drove. In this case it appears the roles have been reversed, and you're fellating him. I'd go back and flat-out demand that your car be fixed properly, or that they pay to have a dealer do it.

Yeah I am not mechanically inclined when it comes to cars so I too am at the mercy of the mechanic for most problems. Sounds like you paid $1700.00 for guesses to the problem and not a fix. You are right you can get much more for the car fixed than with the tranny problem.

A '96 PCM is OBD 2, a '95 is OBD 1.5. Half the wiring pinouts are probably different, I'm surprised is runs at all! Anyone know more about that in particular?

I think he is talking about his 96 Cutty, not the 95....

If I just wanted to get rid of the car, I would of sold it as is and let someone else deal with the problem. Because as it stands now you might be lucky to get $1700 for the car. Of course I don't know what kind of shape the rest of the car is in.

Jamie

I used to work delivering parts for napa and one of the bonuses to that was i got to know all the mechanics in town. I have one that i take my cars to most of the time, they are the best in town and give me a really good deal. If your like me and not very mechanically inclined it helps to know a trustworthy mechanic!

I used to work delivering parts for napa and one of the bonuses to that was i got to know all the mechanics in town. I have one that i take my cars to most of the time, they are the best in town and give me a really good deal. If your like me and not very mechanically inclined it helps to know a trustworthy mechanic!

x2!

I still only go to the dealer when I need parts done. They always fix it right and fix it the first time.

But you yourself need to invesitage this problem. Search here on the site, and find peoples problems that are related to yours. But I can say this, I would never pay over $1000 for a cutlass with a slipping trans

• 2 weeks later...

OK. Do you guys want the update?

It WAS Jeff at Engineered Performance. I assumed that he would be a reputable guy since I found him on this site. I finally got my car back and it is still having trouble. Jeff had tried to fix it but couldnt. I have given up on him. Can we make the Beware of Engineered Performance a sticky so everyone sees it first?

NO ONE touches my car except me and people I KNOW I can trust.

and you let me work on your car? :lol: