2 problems: clunk into R, and hesitation when cold

Psych0matt

So, both of these problems were present before the tranny swap, and are still here. the first one is the clunk into reverse. The old tranny did the exact same thing. We replaced the lower motor mount, and reused the pretty decent tranny mount, but the dogbone mounts are shot. Would bad dogbones make it clunk into reverse (from N or P) but not clunk when putting it into drive? it also seems to clunk downshifting into first occasionally, but not when upshifting ever.

The other problem is when it's cold. It wan'ts to stumble and try to bog down on any acceleration other than idle. I made sure to set the UIM gaskets right and torqued it down. Once it's warm it;s fine though. Jay (god910, previous owner) said he thought it was the intake gaskets, as he only had that problem after the last time he had the UIM off. I got a new pcv hose and valve, and all vacuum lines should be correct. Any other thoughts? It does have some two and a half year old gas in it, but I put $20 worth of premium in yesterday, and will replace the fuel fillter after a tank of gas or two.

The clunking can be caused by bad dogbones, I had the same problem when I first got my TGP and putting in a newer set of dogbones fixed the clunking problem.

The clunking can be caused by bad dogbones, I had the same problem when I first got my TGP and putting in a newer set of dogbones fixed the clunking problem.

Cool. That's what I was hoping, and what I figured since both trannys did this. Now I have to figure out the hesitatino when cold problem, that's a little more annoying :confused:

Well, I didn't replace the tranny mount, but I left the old one on that looked to be in good shape. I know for a fact the dogbones are pretty shot though, so I might do new rubber on one side and poly on the other

How bad is the clunk? I know my car all the mounts are new ( except for the FFP's which are in good shape ) when I shift into any gear you can hear the tranny and the car jumps into gear. I thought it was somewhat normal....

yeah old gas will definitely make it hesitate. Maybe the fuel filter is clogged as well. Might consider running some shit through the lines, like Seafoam or something in the tank.

One thing I was told was that the polyeurethene in the FFP dogbones is so much harder than the stock rubber, that the vibrations and "hits" in the engine bay are felt more. Make sense? Karder material lasts longer, but doesn't give you the softness rubber would.

well, I have an FFP in the cutlass, and brand new lower mounts when I dropped the engine in and it didn't feel that incredibly much harder :dunno: how much are stock rubber replacements?

well, I have an FFP in the cutlass, and brand new lower mounts when I dropped the engine in and it didn't feel that incredibly much harder :dunno: how much are stock rubber replacements?

20 bucks a bone at autozone maybe cheaper online at rock auto?

• 2 weeks later...

could be the classic rear subframe bushings...depending how loud it is. good luck Having a sloppy subframe will ruin the dogbones veryyy quickly. Not saying this is your problem but just trying to he helpful.