Well i decided what to do with the blown 3.4

Aaron

i know brian was right by sending in the link of the boat anchor cause both the 3.8L and 3.4L are they are heavyer then they are worth

Odd, they're still making the 3.8......

The 3.1?

There is no arguing that the Buick 3.8 is one of the best engines of all time. Period.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vegeta

• GnatGoSplat

• carl

• Brian P

both the L67 and Lq1 are worthless the only motor that was good in the w-bodies was the 3.1 it took awahile to realize it but its true once you leave the 3.1L you say damn i wish i had that motor back, also of the same caliber of a motor the 2.8L yeah i know brian was right by sending in the link of the boat anchor cause both the 3.8L and 3.4L are they are heavyer then they are worth. with a few mods the 3.1L will walk past a 3.8L sc

:lol: Brennan, you're on crack.

A modded 3.1L will only walk past a 3.8L SC that's turned off.

The only 3.1L that will get anywhere close to a 3.8L SC is a Turbo 3.1L, yet no one has managed to get one of those to propel a W-body into the 12's, 11's, 10's yet.

I have seen people invest countless man hours of time, research, money, and work into an NA 3.1L only to end up with a slow ass mid 15-second car that still guzzles more fuel as a daily driver than a 3.8L SC.

Oh, maybe one day someone will manage to get an NA 60-degree V6 to where it can be considered reasonably quick. Someday. Maybe, even during our lifetimes. Of course, by then I don't think anyone will care because the rest of us will be driving flying magnetic levitating cars with nuclear fusion motors that can produce 1000HP and get 100mpg running on nothing but water.

Thats reasonably quick! Wow, you have some high standards. You have to gut the car to make the 3800 do that NA. There will be at least one DOHC in the 13s this year, not gutted. Oh but it doesn't get 40 mpg so the engine is just junk.

reasonably quick to me is 13s.

Bumping z34 what is wrong with you?

The 3.8 and 3.4 are worthless? The 3.1 is better?

The 3.1 is a great motor but the 3.8 and 3.4 are great as well. Why do you think the 3.1 is the hot shit? There seems to be allot of haters on here who dis the 3.8sc. I have had a 90tgp, 92z34, and a 99 gtp and let me tell you the gtp is the best car to date. Dont get me wrong I loved my other cars but the gtp is eaiser to work on, easiser to mod, and easier to buy parts for. Just my .02 By the way the fastest w-body has a 3.8 in it.

I have seen people invest countless man hours of time, research, money, and work into an NA 3.1L only to end up with a slow ass mid 15-second car that still guzzles more fuel as a daily driver than a 3.8L SC.

That's cause they didn't do it right. A high compression N/A 3.1 with a wild cam and even porting will have better fuel economy than a stock 3.1. I know of 2 cars on the road right now proving that.

Oh, maybe one day someone will manage to get an NA 60-degree V6 to where it can be considered reasonably quick. Someday. Maybe, even during our lifetimes.

It's shit like that which makes me want to get my built motor in the car real quick. It'll come soon. I'm even doing it gen-2 style. 13's as reasonably quick.... say a 3400 in a grand am isn't reasonably quick? It does low 16's stock on a good day. ANd a stock 3.8 SC GTP isn't reasonably quick because it runs high 14's-low 15's?? 13's is something that a small car can do, if I were you I'd look outside the w-body circle for a bunch of little buzzers running 13's. Even then, they won't be N/A. Oh maybe you can find a few on like edmunds, but given the majority, that's pretty much right on target.

Thats reasonably quick! Wow, you have some high standards. You have to gut the car to make the 3800 do that NA. There will be at least one DOHC in the 13s this year, not gutted. Oh but it doesn't get 40 mpg so the engine is just junk.

High standards? How so? If you can't run 13's, you'll have old ladies in 4-dr family sedans like Maximas and GTP's blowing you away with their stock 14-second quarter miles.

You don't have to gut the car to make a 3800 SC do that. You don't even have to spend tons of $$$, do a whole lot of research, or make a life long project out of it to make an 3800 SC run 13's. NA, SC, it doesn't really matter to me what the engine has strapped to it. I guess I just don't have the passionate connection with the 60v6 like some guys do. If I spent 3-4yrs building an NA 3.1L and then some punk who spent 4-months shoehorning an L67 into his ride blows past me like I'm sitting still, that 3-4yrs would be feeling like an awful big waste of time.

I like the 60V6, but the only one I feel has any potential to be fast is one with forced induction. Thank goodness my 3.1L is TURBO!

To me, spending 3-4 years on a motor, and having some one blow me away wouldnt really bother me. Cuz, I can sit back and the end of the day and look at my built n/a 3.1L pushing 200+HP and say, "look at what I created. That motor was 140HP when I started and look at it now." I'll know Im the better man, cuz I actually did it right, and I did it all by myself. I guess I just dont really care what everyone else says.

Robby

You said NA, which is why I said the 3800. The L67...big shit, it has the SC. Watch these new turbo DOHCs..once they are tuned that is. Didnt you say there weren't many turbo 3.1s in the 13s? Ill cry if I cant do that NA with the 3.4. Seriously, it has the most potential until you get into sponsorships and insane boost because the 3800 has iron heads. Thats about it, so I don't care.

The world has progressed since most of us were heavily into the 3.1. Its call top end swap...does an engine good. The L67 folks use their wallets to get ahead...aftermarket up the ass basically. The 60V6 people have better resources of info IMO. the 3.1 is a great engine to learn on.

Oh, and I don't have to worry, I spent 20 bucks on my cutlass and I promise its in the 14s already.

That's cause they didn't do it right. A high compression N/A 3.1 with a wild cam and even porting will have better fuel economy than a stock 3.1. I know of 2 cars on the road right now proving that.

Who?

I don't know about the guzzling fuel part, but one of the highly respected members on the 60v6 GMforums HAS been working on his engine for a number of years and the damn thing just runs a paltry mid 15's.

Oh, maybe one day someone will manage to get an NA 60-degree V6 to where it can be considered reasonably quick. Someday. Maybe, even during our lifetimes.

It's shit like that which makes me want to get my built motor in the car real quick. It'll come soon. I'm even doing it gen-2 style. 13's as reasonably quick.... say a 3400 in a grand am isn't reasonably quick? It does low 16's stock on a good day. ANd a stock 3.8 SC GTP isn't reasonably quick because it runs high 14's-low 15's?? 13's is something that a small car can do, if I were you I'd look outside the w-body circle for a bunch of little buzzers running 13's. Even then, they won't be N/A. Oh maybe you can find a few on like edmunds, but given the majority, that's pretty much right on target.

Consider it a challenge then. I think it would be great if you pull it off.

HELL NO low 16's is most certainly NOT "reasonably quick". That's slow as molassas. My TGP which I can only classify at this point as a "halfway decent performer" can spank a 3400 GA easily.

Maybe my standards are hosed because the first and only GTP I ever drove was a modded one. 13's are more than reasonable on cars this size. You don't need a little buzzer to go fast.

I don't even have a 3.8 SC, and at this point, I really don't care to get one, but I do agree with SuperBuick - all this flaming of the 3800 sounds like penis envy to me.

You said NA, which is why I said the 3800. The L67...big shit, it has the SC. Watch these new turbo DOHCs..once they are tuned that is. Didnt you say there weren't many turbo 3.1s in the 13s? Ill cry if I cant do that NA with the 3.4. Seriously, it has the most potential until you get into sponsorships and insane boost because the 3800 has iron heads. Thats about it, so I don't care.

The world has progressed since most of us were heavily into the 3.1. Its call top end swap...does an engine good. The L67 folks use their wallets to get ahead...aftermarket up the ass basically. The 60V6 people have better resources of info IMO. the 3.1 is a great engine to learn on.

Oh, and I don't have to worry, I spent 20 bucks on my cutlass and I promise its in the 14s already.

I didn't say anything about the turbos. IMO, a turbo or SC is pretty much what a 60v6 needs to be fast. Any forced induction engine IMO has a ton of potential.

It doesn't take a whole lot of bank nor a whole lot of labor to make a 13-second L67. I won't even say "build" because you don't have to crack an L67 apart to get it to propel a 3400lb W-body through the 1/4 in 13-seconds. To go faster than that, sure, it's a lot of work and takes a fat wallet, I'll agree with you on that. But it'll take a whole lot more time, work and an even fatter wallet to break into the 13's with ANY existing NA 60V6 built by the General.

Yeah yeah, I've heard tons about the top end swap on the 3.1's... and been rather underwhelmed so far. Mid-15's. Woo. *Yawn* :roll:

i definatley agree the flaming of the L67 is total bullshit. but i also agree with brian because hes right. people just look at that motor and are like, yeah i think im gunna plop that baby in there tomorrow, maybe ill throw a 5 sped in and a few turbos too....its no big deal.

for all that work, its way too overrated. and if im not mistaken, isnt the only reason the SC is only cranking 40 more hp out of that engine because it was set that way from the factory cuz of what the tranny can hold? i heard you can easily just crank the boost or some other shit (i dont know much about this, obviously) and you could easily have another 40+hp. whatever, theres jsut way too much bashing, and i dont really care that much because i dont drive anything with that motor in it. all tho i have to admit all those jokes were pretty damn funny

You are basing that on what chris ran with his old engine. He needs a new trans to actually test the new engine and end your damn "mid 15s, woo" crap. Seriously, what do you think headers do for these engines? A lot, and that lone would take his mid 15 to a low 15. Add roller cam, tuned computer...geez its not even worth talking about because he just needs to get the damn thing running again to end this discussion.

As for needing a lot of money to hit 13s. I think I can do it for less than 600 bucks. Sure, its not a pulley, but its also not boosted. Taking away the NA 3800 crown is gonna be a walk in the park, especially when you look at what it takes to make the NA 3800 run 13s.

Penis envy...call it what you will. I didnt care about the motor till everyone and their grandma wouldn't shut up about the damn thing. Its not the end all be all motor, and it certainly doesn't have endless potential. Its pushrod technology being outdated by newer pushrod technology which needs a supercharger to be worth crap. Oh sorry, gas mileage...forgot about the precious gas milage.

To me, spending 3-4 years on a motor, and having some one blow me away wouldnt really bother me. Cuz, I can sit back and the end of the day and look at my built n/a 3.1L pushing 200+HP and say, "look at what I created. That motor was 140HP when I started and look at it now." I'll know Im the better man, cuz I actually did it right, and I did it all by myself. I guess I just dont really care what everyone else says.

Robby

AMEN!!!

- justin

Its not the end all be all motor, and it certainly doesn't have endless potential. Its pushrod technology being outdated by newer pushrod technology which needs a supercharger to be worth crap.

I'm reminded of the 3500 V6 making the equivalent power of the 3800 and they probably use nearly the same internals as the current 60*'s. I can't wait for the new 2.8 to arrive! :wink:

I'm just gonna get that damn Saturn (GM-EcoTech) 2.2L I4 that's making 1000 HP. I may have to steal it, but hey, They're drivers a chick.

You are basing that on what chris ran with his old engine. He needs a new trans to actually test the new engine and end your damn "mid 15s, woo" crap. Seriously, what do you think headers do for these engines? A lot, and that lone would take his mid 15 to a low 15. Add roller cam, tuned computer...geez its not even worth talking about because he just needs to get the damn thing running again to end this discussion.

That gonna happen anytime this century?

I'd sure like to see it while I still give a damn.