What kind of struts to use?

Addicted2bass

The struts on my TGP are pretty much shot. Im sure they are original so this is the first thing (on a long list) i wanna fix when i put her back on the road. I was toying with the idea of getting the car lowered but thats probably not the most cost effective or practical thing i could do....especially considering some of the places i drive.

So my question is....what kind of struts should i get? I used to work at napa and can still get a discount there, ive also heard KYBs mentioned alot on this site. What do you all have on your cars? Also is there any other parts that should be repalced along with the struts? Like the mounts maybe? Or those rubber puck things that sit in the rear monoleaf (sorry not sure what they are called lol).

KYB GR2 seem to be the general strut of choice for Gen I, and even Gen II w-bodies (if not planning on lowering). As with pretty much any GM, it is indeed a good idea to change the strut mounts when changing the struts.

Monroe would be fine if you want to maintain the plush and comfy ride that the TGP had factory..

On the back, I recomend not replacing the rear struts with another set. I suggest getting some coil overs, and replacing the mono-leaf with it. You will be glad you did.

Are KYBs an online only thing or can i get them at a parts store? Id like to get decent handling but i dont want a real rough ride. Another reason i dont really want to lower it. But really anything is better then the worn out ones on it now! Everytime i hit a pothole it feel like the damn wheels are gonna fall off lol.

Ill have to check CarQuest we have one of those in town. I dont think there are any Tireracks around me though, or Orilleys. Anybody have any experience with NAPA struts? The Sensatracs are the good one IIRC. I could get those cheaper cuz i used to work at a napa. But im willing to spend more on the KYBs if they are gonna be a better strut.

NAPA now has KYB struts. At least the one my dad works at can order them. I meant to put in my first post that they are definitely firmer than stock, but not jaw-breaking firm, so you'll get slightly better handling than stock without completely giving up a decently comfortable ride.

The KYBs are pretty cheap on tirerack. Im gonna do some price shopping tomorrow though. Should i get the mounts as well? Anything else i might need?

yes mounts...and I have KYB rear Strut boot covers If you want them...BRAND NEW!!!! I ordered them on accident and never used them.

$20 shipped to you.

they are like $12/ piece + shipping new.