• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BXX

• hotrodolds

• Brian P

• J

Top Posters In This Topic

So far, on my hood, it has taken about 2/3 to 3/4 of a can per coat. I put down 2 coats so far since its a new hood I had to take clear down to metal.

I wanna do about 1 or 2 coats of black, and 1 or 2 of clear.

But yeah, itll take quite a bit of paint, but still cost significantly less than a paint shop which makes more sense since my car is almost worthless these days. The older used car market here in Ohio has taken a huge plummet in the past 6 months alone. My car is only about worth $1000 with decent paint anymore.

Ever hear of the 50 dollar paint job? Rustoleum pro paint diluted with mineral spirits and rolled on with a brush. If youre not sure what it is all about, do a search. There are plenty tutorials and pictures of cars done this method that look pretty damn good. Its what Im gonna do when I get new body panels for mine.

I've gotten pretty good with a rattle can myself over the years, and I could see (at least myself) getting a decent coat on the hood or something horizontal, but anything verticle, no matter how carefull I've been, I always get at least one run. I think I'm gonna try it one of these day's on my GF's POS...her front fenders are flat black, the rest is teal, can't look any worse than it already does!

Two thoughts spring to mind though. First one is 'they' say don't paint your car black unless the body is perfect, the second is...x cans of color coat @ $y.yy per can + clearcoat = almost what it would cost to have a pro spray your hood and front bumper and door with the paint you've already got.

Now I'm curious! Lets see, 2/3 can per coat X 4 (2 color and 2 clear) = 2 2/3 cans for average panel. Hood + fender (X2) + door (X2) + trunk, and figure at least 1/3 of a can more per coat for roof and rear quarters, is 6X2 2/3 + 3X3 1/3 = about 26 cans x $4.00 per can(?) = $104...what about primer? + $25? Don't want to discourage you, in fact I'd like to see it done, but I think...'you'll shoot your eye out kid' :lol:

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread too...changing the color, to black, with a rattle can...I wish you luck!

it better be a stupid April fools joke, that car is too nice. I'll spend the money to come slap you if you rattle can a car like that....

:lol: :lol:

Ever hear of the 50 dollar paint job? Rustoleum pro paint diluted with mineral spirits and rolled on with a brush. If youre not sure what it is all about, do a search. There are plenty tutorials and pictures of cars done this method that look pretty damn good. Its what Im gonna do when I get new body panels for mine.

lol, love the new sig pic... Maybe I should make a new sig pic with the 'missing rims' all nice and cleaned up on my car :lol:

I would do the rustoleum job, but at the fact of laying about 10 coats... Umm, ill pass. I cant even use a roller to paint a wall nice, so painting a car like that is retarded.

I went out and got come gloss black rattle cans and some more 320 grit paper. Cost me $22. More than enough to do the hood.

I actually thought about it, but here is a rough breakdown I have figured on can usuage

Hood = 2 cans

2 front fenders = 3 cans

2 bumpers = 4 cans (with fender trim, lots of wasted paint doing something so narrow)

2 doors = 4 cans

Body = 6 cans

Trunk = 1 can

Ground effects = 2 cans

================

22 cans x $6/can = $132

Those figures are with equal amount of clear mixed in.

ALL of my underlying paint is very stable and no primer is neccessary except a few hail dents on my roof, so add in 1 can of high build primer to fix those low spots

My body is not rusted or really dented, but its obvious some of the clearcoat is starting to chip here and there.

THERE IS 1 MORE OPTION THAT WOULD KEEP ME FROM RATTLE CANNING THE CAR!!

But, I still need to paint the hood, front bumper, and a new door with my existing paint which cost nothing since I have the paint, but the entire rest of the car would need the clearcoat sanded level and to a stable point and then the entire car clearcoated. So I would need about $60 worth of clearcoat

Only 1 problem

I DONT HAVE AN AIR COMPRESSOR :lol:

I have a paint gun though

I started that on my fox body...I got about three coats into it and it started to look nice. The coats were easy and quick to put on and I probably only need another 2-3 coats before I would have been 100% satisfied. I ended up selling it before I was finished though

lol, love the new sig pic... Maybe I should make a new sig pic with the 'missing rims' all nice and cleaned up on my car :lol:

I would do the rustoleum job, but at the fact of laying about 10 coats... Umm, ill pass. I cant even use a roller to paint a wall nice, so painting a car like that is retarded.

I went out and got come gloss black rattle cans and some more 320 grit paper. Cost me $22. More than enough to do the hood.

I actually thought about it, but here is a rough breakdown I have figured on can usuage

Hood = 2 cans

2 front fenders = 3 cans

2 bumpers = 4 cans (with fender trim, lots of wasted paint doing something so narrow)

2 doors = 4 cans

Body = 6 cans

Trunk = 1 can

Ground effects = 2 cans

================

22 cans x $6/can = $132

Those figures are with equal amount of clear mixed in.

ALL of my underlying paint is very stable and no primer is neccessary except a few hail dents on my roof, so add in 1 can of high build primer to fix those low spots

My body is not rusted or really dented, but its obvious some of the clearcoat is starting to chip here and there.

THERE IS 1 MORE OPTION THAT WOULD KEEP ME FROM RATTLE CANNING THE CAR!!

But, I still need to paint the hood, front bumper, and a new door with my existing paint which cost nothing since I have the paint, but the entire rest of the car would need the clearcoat sanded level and to a stable point and then the entire car clearcoated. So I would need about $60 worth of clearcoat

Only 1 problem

I DONT HAVE AN AIR COMPRESSOR :lol:

I have a paint gun though

In the words of Adam Savage from Mythbusters: " I reject your reality and substitute my own."

But yes I know the rolling method will not be perfect, but probably better then whats on there now.

Hey, wait a sec...

Rob, you have an air compressor, right???

Wanna help a brotha out :lol:

I would but my compressor is only a 2.5hp and constantly runs with any air tool I use ( not to mention trips the breaker if you remember LOL) Why dont you hit up Rich? He painted his Cutlass with his compressor and just recently did his grandpas Mustang also.

Your paints not bad, just...ummm, well, dented is all from what I saw. Needs a good waxing and buffing

Haha, mythbusters is great. Cant watch my DVR'd episodes since the GF is watching American Idol :evil:

2.5hp is plenty enough since I have a LVLP gun. But year, the breaker tripping could be an issue. Tell your women to turn off everything inside :lol:

I would hit up Richie, but I dont believe him and I are on speaking terms. He replies to no messages from me whatsoever. I asked about him spraying the car and paying him last summer, but he said he was too busy with his Cutlass and was working way to much. I know he can spray a car pretty good and he's way better than me at bodywork as well. But apparently I am too much of a pain in his ass so he no longer replies to anything I message him. Cant even call him, 99% of the time he doesnt answer or is not in the house.

If you can get ahold of him, ask him what he says about spraying my hood, door, and bumper and then possible clearing rest of the car.

Yeah Ill see what he says. Sorry I wasnt aware of any falling out between you two.

If you can get ahold of him, ask him what he says about spraying my hood, door, and bumper and then possible clearing rest of the car.

Yeah Ill see what he says. Sorry I wasnt aware of any falling out between you two.

I wasnt aware of a falling out between us either, but him rever returning messages and/or phone calls it became quite apparent to me

I have an air compressor if you buy the paint I will help you spray this car I also have a nerw gun an air dyer and all the required tools.

Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on it. But in a nice turn of event, I may have found a place to spray for cheap, and/or a place for me to do it. I can spray outside our back door at work since we have a super long air hose, but the weather would have to be just right and I will have to buy a line dryer.

Soo, at this point, I will look into paying someone to do a simple 1 day paint job, especially since I might try to get rid of my CS sometime this summer

• 1 month later...

I havent done it yert. Im still in the process of getting a good door and a couple decent fenders.

The paint I am going with is actually a black pearl single stage paint. $110/gal through Carquest. Its a DuPont paint and it pretty heavy duty