Tony's never-ending GP project/maintenance thread.

5speedz34

....and it's got almost year old gas in it. I plan on running a tank of premium, and maybe half a can of Seafoam? Any advice on maybe a different gas tank additive I should use? Lucas, maybe Valvoline?

Edit: I'll post pics with the repair bill!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5speedz34

• 19Cutlass94

• slick

• J

premium is a waste, i never understood why people always said they;ll run premium after it's been sitting for a while!? We started that del sol lat night and ran it for 25 minutes on a tank of gas that was 2 years old and it ran fine

premium is a waste, i never understood why people always said they;ll run premium after it's been sitting for a while!? We started that del sol lat night and ran it for 25 minutes on a tank of gas that was 2 years old and it ran fine

I've been slowly burning a full tank of two year old gas in the TGP :lol: once it starts it always runs just fine on the gas :dunno:

Stabil?

I don't think that's a restorer of anything, it just keeps new gas fresh for X amount of months. I think anyway, I haven't read up on it. All I know is that it keeps the Monte's gas fresh for the 5-6 months it's stored.

The TGP you have to use premium gas. In the rest of our cars that are NA, premium is a waste of money. As for the stabil, I dont know if it was the kind of gas that it was put in, but we put it in my dads car, and the gas still went bad over the winter. So for that kind of gas its useless. I dont even touch that stuff anymore.

I just want the premium to clean the tank out...and the fuel system.

OMG I just went to the Secretary of State (MI's DMV), and there was over an hour wait. I was number 79 out of 35!

Wow, just picked the thing up, I forgot how much of a POS this thing is.

Hopefully it'll be trusty.

I put 89 in since it was past a 1/4 tank, and some Lucas. I'm going to run it low a few times and get the gunk out, then change my fuel filter.

I just want the premium to clean the tank out...and the fuel system.

OMG I just went to the Secretary of State (MI's DMV), and there was over an hour wait. I was number 79 out of 35!

it will do no more cleaning than 87

Heres a new issue!

What do you guys think?

I just got the GP running and its been doing this long before it was just taken in.

The gauge on the dash usually stays below 210 once it warms up. Once I get to a traffic light though the needle moves up usually somewhere between 210 and 235 (the halfway mark between 210-265). Once I take off the car starts to cool back down. It stays pretty stationary while moving.

Whats the deal?

New Radiator (aftermarket, looked to be a little thinner than stock)

New W/P

New hoses

New T-stat

Fresh coolant

Both fans work.

FWIW: The primary fan comes on at 230*

Heres what the cluster looks like:

GPCluster.jpg

I'd say it's pretty normal man. Rachel's regal does this, and most every other first gen has floaty guages.

What do you expect out of a 12 year old car?

Plus, the fact that when your just sitting there, no air is traveling over your engine to take away the warm air. The car moves, air moves over the engine.

Make's perfect sense to me.

I'd say it's pretty normal man. Rachel's regal does this, and most every other first gen has floaty guages.

What do you expect out of a 12 year old car?

Not much, its just been so long since I've driven any W that I want to make sure this is normal.

My truck (which isn't any feat of engineering) never moves. It hits 210* and stays there.

Could be an air bubble by the temp sensor.

Cars been bleed numerous times. When I did the radiator work myself. And the shop did this past week when they replaced the metal hose that goes from the heater core.

On newer vehicle's, GM designed the gauge's not to move as much, as lots of people were going to dealerships worried to death.

Where did you hear this?

I know about that. On both the Cutlass and Blazer, once the engine is up to temp, the gauges dont move. Something is a miss with that GP if it moves like that

I know about that. On both the Cutlass and Blazer, once the engine is up to temp, the gauges dont move. Something is a miss with that GP if it moves like that

Well wtf could it be?

Id take a look at the temp sender, make sure its working correctly, the connection is good and such, check the coolant again, make sure theres no binding in the hoses. With that many new parts Im not thinking of very many things that it could be right now :lol:

Id take a look at the temp sender, make sure its working correctly, the connection is good and such, check the coolant again, make sure theres no binding in the hoses. With that many new parts Im not thinking of very many things that it could be right now :lol:

Ok, I think the sensor is fine, I might have replaced it.....

I'm having the same prob with my 3.4. Used to be once it reached 195-200* it wouldn't move. And what you describe is exactly my problem. I have a small leak in my rad, so I've recently put in some stop leak, and I'm thinking maybe my thermostat is "sticky", I know yours is new, but it could be it. Of course it could be my sensor as well.