Tony's never-ending GP project/maintenance thread.

5speedz34

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5speedz34

• 19Cutlass94

• slick

• J

Well, the car started this afternoon. The shop told me the wires going to the starter were covered in oil and they where. So I'm thinking an oil covered starter/wires/cold weather caused this.

I'm going to get a new starter this week and get the wires cleaned up and loomed.

Sooo... if this GP maintenance thread is "never-ending"... what would you call the Z's maintenance thread?? :lol:

Is this your sister's old GP? The green B4U?

LOL, the Z34 is a project, this is just getting this thing to be a clean daily driver.

I need to get a better job (which will be coming in the next few months) before I touch the Z. I have less than $100 coming into my pocket a month now.

yes the hunk of shit

The Z needs to get fixed this summer/spring

Have you seen the car? Its really not a hunk of shit at all. All its needed is brakes, radiator, and the power steering stuff.

I know that on my friend's 94 Grand Am and my other friends 92 Grand Am the temp/gas gauges float around like crazy. My Beretta's did too. AND my friend's brother's '94 Monte Carlo had gauges that never quit moving.

My '99 Grand Am's gauges don't move at all unless there's a real difference. The gas gauge'll move when I'm circling a very steep on-ramp (gas sloshes to one side of the tank I guess), but it never varies more than a notch or two.

I agree about it being an issue that GM corrected on their own towards the latter part of the 90s.

Well the gauge doesn't float, it fluctuates. I know gas gauges float when you accelerate, take corners, etc. This does this when I stop. It might be just an older gauge, or maybe not.

yeah don't worry about it. In fact if it does bother you that much, convert the sensor to the '96+ 3-wire style and it will stay put like the newer cars.

You got some splaning to do!

well your car should still be using the dual sensor setup- 1 for the PCM and one for the gauge cluster. In '96 GM went to 1 sensor which hooks up where the PCM sensor is, except there's a 2nd output for the gauge as well. You can grab one of these sensors, with the 3 wire pigtail, and hook it up pretty easily.

well your car should still be using the dual sensor setup- 1 for the PCM and one for the gauge cluster. In '96 GM went to 1 sensor which hooks up where the PCM sensor is, except there's a 2nd output for the gauge as well. You can grab one of these sensors, with the 3 wire pigtail, and hook it up pretty easily.

Cool, is this the same for the 3.4?

I feel as if I should have a solid place in this thread :lol:

Don't put your bad luck onto me! JKJK.

Soooo

Update!

I took the grounds off at the trans and dropped the starter. There is oil everywhere on this car.....its sick. I'm hoping to clean up the grounds/oil, possibly replace some battery cables and toss the new starter in!

^This was yesterday. My buddy and I cleaned up all the grounds/connections and put a new battery cable and starter in.

So it starts and runs, my crosslaces should be here tomorrow!

• 3 months later...

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=67235.0

That was the last post I made about the car.

Went out today and started working on it. Holy shit its been 2 months, I just realized that. Anyways I got the strut tower out. We'll see how much more I mess with in the next few days since I'm busy with class mostly. Ohh I'll get some pics up too.

What size are the bolts that bolt the bumper to the body. Not the clips, the actual bolts. Theres 2 of them.

Thanks for answering guys. 7/16" speed nuts. I don't know why the hell they used this size on our cars.

Took the bumper off and attempted to remove whats left of the ball joint.

I'm going to organize my tools tomorrow. I can't continue any farther without organizing my shit.