3.1 Turbo V6 Rebuild

RollingRock213

Hey all, I am new to the board here. I own a 1990 white ste and I want to rebuild the motor. I know Murray's auto parts does sell a rebuild kit, have any of you had any experience with these rebuild kits or any tips? Does a better rebuild kit exist anywhere? I know the turbo 3.1 internals differ a little bit from the stock 3.1's GM put in all their cars, however is there any other really significant differences. Yes I am a noob so I am sorry if this annoys anyone. I also plan to add a bigger TB, a better cam shaft, and new injectors. Anyone have any advice when trying to get bigger power gains from these motors. Obvisouly a bigger turbo would be better, but I want to try do a basic rebuld and have it run fine again. I want to rebuild it right also, no hack jobs, the crossover pipe will probalby also have to be rebuilt too, any advice for that? The engine has 204,000 miles on it so the trubo will also have to be rebuilt. Any help would be amazing.

COntact TGPilot (Kenny) on http://www.tgpforums.com about the crossover rebuild. Quality job! Up front, if you hear anyone recommend Jeff M., do not heed that advice, since he has not been around in ages. He pioneered many TGP modifications, but has taken a long absence; if you try to contact him, he won't respond.

Kenny (TGPilot) for the crossover and chip whenever you get to it.

GutlessSupreme (Tony) would be the person to talk to.

dont just brush him off guys. :wink: he said no hack jobs.

we WILL help you with your project sir! and try to point you in the right direction.

we WILL help you with your project sir! and try to point you in the right direction.

:confused?:

:thinking:

:leaving:

i wonder sometimes how long it will take, or rather, how many ignorant comments by this guy before he is banned from here, like Kenny, who had the gonads to do it over at TGPforums.com

speaking of which, visit http://www.tgpforums.com for a dedicated site to the TGP/TSTE.

a rebuild kit that I purchased from Northern Auto Parts has done fine for me. at 200k I am going to assume that you will be boring the engine, as you probably will not be getting them honed at that mileage. stock cam is what you should plan on running, although some have gone another route, me included. I used a Crane 2020 cam which is a slight gain over the stock.

As far as turbos, there are several different bolt ins that require slight changes to make it work, usually just fittings and such. your best bet for max gains IMO would be to go with as close to stock internals and then upgrade the turbo and fuel delivery. others will be able to help more in that line though, but soon enough I will be doing some of those mods myself.

whoops!!

moderator pwneage

comment withdrawn. further lighthearted humor will be avoided.

I will admit, I stick up for myself and views I believe in, even when I shouldnt.

your digging pretty deep to come up with that, I have never been aggressive towards my comrades here in the TGP section. If I ever insult one of my friends here I want to know, but does that mean if someone ever insults me that others will care? no, nothing will happen and I am aware of how I rank and my own set of standards. I show plenty of respect for the community. thats why I am so sorry for ruining everyone's day. just poking some fun to try to fit in and getting kicked around as usual. I am fine with being the little bitch on the forum, its the only forum I got left! please understand, it was a joke, ok? just trying to break the ice.

Excuse me?

Anyway... I, like Ryan got my rebuild kit from Northern Auto Parts. Great company to deal with. You can pretty much get the kits how you want them, they sell anywhere from full kits with new pistons/cam/lifters/bearings/freeze plugs & rings, to just re-ring kits, IIRC. If you don't need something from their list, just call them up and ask them to exclude it, and they'll credit it towards the kit price. All the parts I got from them were all Sealed Power, I believe.

I ended up getting bearings/rings/pistons/freeze plugs from them, I forgot to tell them to leave out the timing chain though when I called (I already had one). When I got the delivery the freeze plugs were missing, I called them up and they got here in two days, no questions asked. I wouldn't say they were any special high performance parts, but they'll do the job as good as anything. I'm fairly confident I won't have any problems with their regular hypereutectic pistons for my needs, if you plan to go big however you might to look at others.

As far as a cam goes, I read a lot of material here on the board and on tgpforums.com before I decided to go with my Crane H260. The general conscensious is that it's a good cam for our application. It will definetly wake up the motor in the top end but it's still fairly mild. I also used LS6 valve springs to stiffen up the valve train and 1.6 rockers from a '95 3100 to gain a little lift.

Unless you're getting a bigger snail, stock injectors are fine. I decided to upgrade mine to Ford 24 #ers and I ended up pulling them and going back to stock because the car was just running like crap. I'm not saying the motor was tuned for them, but getting a good tune with stock injectors (cleaned/rebuilt) will get you pretty far.

I don't think we have any real options have far as TB's go, besides swapping the whole top end (heads and up) from a 3100 or 3400 motor. I'm not the person to talk to about that though.

Unfortunetly I can't give much insight on the results of my rebuild, as I only put about 200 miles on the car before I parked it again. I was having a few driveability problems probably related to my 5 speed swap, then it started pissing oil, and now my reg is suspended because I didn't get it inspected, and I just haven't had the time to fix it and get it ready. Plus its fucking cold out now.

There's a lot of information to be had between this forum and tgpforums.com, don't forget to do some searching to find your answers, there's a lot to be learned while looking for other answers.

oh, make sure during the rebuild you replace your oil pump with another Melling M95HV unit! The regular N/A 3.1 pumps you're going to come across don't pump enough volume for our turbo motors.

Anyway... I, like Ryan got my rebuild kit from Northern Auto Parts. Great company to deal with. You can pretty much get the kits how you want them, they sell anywhere from full kits with new pistons/cam/lifters/bearings/freeze plugs & rings, to just re-ring kits, IIRC. If you don't need something from their list, just call them up and ask them to exclude it, and they'll credit it towards the kit price. All the parts I got from them were all Sealed Power, I believe.

I ended up getting bearings/rings/pistons/freeze plugs from them, I forgot to tell them to leave out the timing chain though when I called (I already had one). When I got the delivery the freeze plugs were missing, I called them up and they got here in two days, no questions asked. I wouldn't say they were any special high performance parts, but they'll do the job as good as anything. I'm fairly confident I won't have any problems with their regular hypereutectic pistons for my needs, if you plan to go big however you might to look at others.

As far as a cam goes, I read a lot of material here on the board and on tgpforums.com before I decided to go with my Crane H260. The general conscensious is that it's a good cam for our application. It will definetly wake up the motor in the top end but it's still fairly mild. I also used LS6 valve springs to stiffen up the valve train and 1.6 rockers from a '95 3100 to gain a little lift.

Unless you're getting a bigger snail, stock injectors are fine. I decided to upgrade mine to Ford 24 #ers and I ended up pulling them and going back to stock because the car was just running like crap. I'm not saying the motor was tuned for them, but getting a good tune with stock injectors (cleaned/rebuilt) will get you pretty far.

I don't think we have any real options have far as TB's go, besides swapping the whole top end (heads and up) from a 3100 or 3400 motor. I'm not the person to talk to about that though.

Unfortunetly I can't give much insight on the results of my rebuild, as I only put about 200 miles on the car before I parked it again. I was having a few driveability problems probably related to my 5 speed swap, then it started pissing oil, and now my reg is suspended because I didn't get it inspected, and I just haven't had the time to fix it and get it ready. Plus its fucking cold out now.

There's a lot of information to be had between this forum and tgpforums.com, don't forget to do some searching to find your answers, there's a lot to be learned while looking for other answers.

oh, make sure during the rebuild you replace your oil pump with another Melling M95HV unit! The regular N/A 3.1 pumps you're going to come across don't pump enough volume for our turbo motors.

X2, this guy has an awesome thread worth reading if you're rebuilding your engine, although some of the pictures don't show up anymore.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php/topic,39094.0.html

the only thing I could possibly add is if you are looking for a bigger turbo the GT2871R seems to be the biggest bolt-in replacement turbo for our application. Kuntzie ran one for a while and now hes running a custom setup that could practically eat our stock turbo for breakfast and ask for seconds. :willynilly:

Edit: For Injectors, if you want to stick to stock, the old style ones cost an arm and a leg, however you can also use injectors from a non-supercharged 3800 Vin K AC-Delco Part # 217-318 which are supposed to be better, but still have the same lbs/hr. rating

where would you buy the melling, since I should replace it on the engine I'm buying from Pat.

Also......... would the melling oil pump be a good upgrade for a na block?

I know summit carries the oil pumps, I can't imagine the extra oil hurting anything, the TGP oil pump doesn't increase pressure, just the volume so as to have enough for the turbo.

I can't recall the exact reason, but I have read negatives about running the HV-95 in a N/A car. I could very well be wrong though.

I remember reading that as well. The 3.1 has oiling problems anyway, but throwing in a HV pump isn't the way to fix it.

Here is the pump: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MEL%2DM95HV&N=700+115&autoview=sku