pwmin

okay, so yesterday, my rear speakers starting making a loud crackling sound (independent of stereo volume), so i pulled the amp out and messed w/ the RCA's and it would go away or come back, so i tried another set and same thing, so I figured my amp was bad (rca connections). i tried another amp (the one that makes alt noise on HP/AP) and no more. I ran the 6x9's on that amp on the sub channel and i just can't get them to sound right, so I'm going to be looking for some 6x9 or 8" subs to be putting in the rear deck.

so, now for my question. i know there has been mention of Tag Band 6x9 subs only in the locked "best 6x9" thread, which had some good information. I couldnt find them when i looked at the link. I'm thinking I should just get 2 8" subs, though and cut the sheet metal out some. I don't want 10's or larger because i want to be able to put 6x9's back in if i have to. I know i can just make a big wood panel to fill the hole, but i'd rather not have to. are there any decent free-air 8" subs that I should look at? I don't have much of a budget as I didnt plan on having to do this. I know there are a lot of brands out there that I have never heard of that are better and cheaper than the retail ones. I've had bad luck w/ blowing infinity subs, too (a few perfect 12 vq's and a few perfect 12's). believe the amp is 100x2 @ 2, but it may be 200. it has no problems pushing the 2 10" MTX road thunders free-air in the camaro. I will eventually need an amp, too, so i can put it back in the camaro when i start driving it again.

thanks.

If it were me, given those choices, I'd get some decent 6x9s. However, I would get a single 10 for the trunk. One 10 isn't going to take up that much room at all, especially with a good box, and will make a pretty good difference.

I've always thought that if I had the room, I'd rather have two really nice 10"s instead of a single 12", but that's mostly because I like how the smaller ones sound a bit tighter.

/rant

The 10" I bought a few weeks ago takes up almost no space in my trunk..it's a sealed box this time though. My old ported 12" was a pig..took up my whole trunk and it weighed in at 64lb lol..I think this new box weighs 10lb plus the sub.

Go with a good quality replacement 6x9's they are a better choice and will give you about as much bass as a free air 8" (just a guestimate) and you dont have to destroy your beautifull w-body in the process

I would stick with 6x9's in the rear deck. I have had great experiances with Kenwood 4 ways and Alpine 3 ways.

Free air subs are not as crisp as a sub in a ported or sealed box. I would not recommend going with a free air setup.

If you would like two 8's just put them in a box. That won't take up much room.

I'm pretty sure 6x9's are out of the question. I already have expensive ones in there and I don't want to buy anymore. I really don't want any store brands, either. I'm pretty much done w/ them.

I don't think 2 8's will sound that bad free air. Like I said, my cheapo 10's sound good free-air in the camaro, which I know they'll sound a lot better in that than in the prix being that it's a hatchback, but still.

I MAY go w/ one decent 12 in a box, but I really don't want any more extra weight than I have to have, but I guess removing one box to go to the track won't be so bad. I won't have any rear fill, just sub(s) one way or another. Also, I don't really want anything in my trunk more than I have to. I already reluctantly have the amps in a "box" already. If I do go this way, I want a sub that doesn't need lots of air space and I will be using a sealed box. I wonder if some sort of truck box will work so I don't have to make my own box. I've made a few sealed boxes before, so it wouldn't be a problem, I just don't want to if I don't have to.

Go with a good quality replacement 6x9's they are a better choice and will give you about as much bass as a free air 8" (just a guestimate) and you dont have to destroy your beautifull w-body in the process

The 6x9's are free air, too, but, yeah, they do have about the same SA as an 8, but I want a speaker with a subwoofer only. I don't think I would be destroying it by putting 2 8's there as I said in the original post.

Well look at it objectively...

There arent many 8" subs on the market anymore. Of the 8" subs out, there are extremely few that are suited for free air, IB setups.

6x9's however are engineered for free air/IB setups.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-837

Toss these in the rear deck.

http://www.caraudiocentral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8687

Get the 200.1 for $100

That would be a nice stealth IB install :)

Try 6 1/2" componets. You should be able to fit that in your rear deck with little mod to the deck itself. You should be able to fit the 6 1/2" and tweet in the space of a 6x9. Then you can go back to the 6x9 later with very little problem.

Is it just me or is everyone missing the point that this guy wants to put some sort of a subwoofer in his rear deck...

He doesnt appear to be looking for midbass or highs (tweets), just subs...

Is it just me or is everyone missing the point that this guy wants to put some sort of a subwoofer in his rear deck...

He doesnt appear to be looking for midbass or highs (tweets), just subs...

thank you :mrgreen:

for some reason, i couldnt find those tang band 6x9's there before. theyre pretty damn cheap, so I think I'll give them a try. they will probably be perfect, too, cuz they won't hang as low as most 8" subs so I can still put in a RSTB. what do you mean no one makes a good 8" sub? I can get 8" JL W7's for $430 each :lol:

are good used 6x9 Infinity Kappa Perfect 3-ways worth anything? theyre a few years old, the gray cone ones. I still have the original box so I could get the exact model number later.

Try 6 1/2" componets. You should be able to fit that in your rear deck with little mod to the deck itself. You should be able to fit the 6 1/2" and tweet in the space of a 6x9. Then you can go back to the 6x9 later with very little problem.

2056262_206_full.jpg

thats just liquid nails and foamboard. the metal rings come with the infinity 5's.

even if the 6's would fit, the way I halfway sealed the pod in for suspension purposes (so they would not sound bad like I guarantee free-air will), that would not be enough air to suspend the cone effectively. a 6 needs .5 cubic feet ideally and that would make it very cramped for it and might as well get 6x9s then.

He doesnt appear to be looking for midbass or highs (tweets)' date=' just subs...

[/quote']thank you :mrgreen:

for some reason, i couldnt find those tang band 6x9's there before. theyre pretty damn cheap, so I think I'll give them a try. they will probably be perfect, too, cuz they won't hang as low as most 8" subs so I can still put in a RSTB. what do you mean no one makes a good 8" sub? I can get 8" JL W7's for $430 each :lol:

are good used 6x9 Infinity Kappa Perfect 3-ways worth anything? theyre a few years old, the gray cone ones. I still have the original box so I could get the exact model number later.

The W7 is a good sub, but it would self destruct mounted in the rear deck...

Thats my point.

Ya for under $100 you could have some subs...

In my Beretta I had some 4 way 6x9s years and years ago... With 100 WRMS to each they pounded pretty dang good to be honest, decent bass. But thats been the better part of 10+ years ago...

I think you can get good results out of these. Ive had very good luck with Tang Band thus far and dont hesitate to suggest them. I ran the 8" Neo sub in a 6th order and it rocked hard. I put another 8" sub in a mini ported box that was pretty cool looking! In the pictures it looks massive, but when you compare it to a 12" sub you realize how small it really is...

Garret, one thing your misunderstanding about most car audio speakers (minus subwoofers) is the fact they are built for infinite baffle systems, not enclosures.

Also keep in mind that an oval speaker is no where near as efficient has a round speaker.

IMO, pick up a few 8's, and fiberglass some enclosures underneath the rear deck, or even make them outta wood.

:lol: if you had 6x9s ten years ago and they pounded so hard where are they today? in the landfill?

you said it yourself :biggrin: theyre pretty damn cheap.

my boston components ran for ten years. taint brand has been around for 2-3 years. only install these if you are selling the vehicle seriously.

Garret, one thing your misunderstanding about most car audio speakers (minus subwoofers) is the fact they are built for infinite baffle systems, not enclosures.

Also keep in mind that an oval speaker is no where near as efficient has a round speaker.

IMO, pick up a few 8's, and fiberglass some enclosures underneath the rear deck, or even make them outta wood.

these diamonds dont care if they are infinitely baffled or sealed, they are chinese landfill material. :lol:

2056262_203_full.jpg

you were right about the fiberglass no doubt, only wood needed is for the ring though if you dont have a metal one, come on now we arent building a house for gods sake!

:lol: if you had 6x9s ten years ago and they pounded so hard where are they today? in the landfill?

my boston components ran for ten years. taint brand has been around for 2-3 years. only install these if you are selling the vehicle seriously.

I guess what I was trying to say, for what it was it pounded pretty good and was impressive- for what it was. My friends thought I had a sub in the back...

Where are they now?

Trash.

They lived a decent life in my car until I sold them off. Then into my friends car and he blew them.

Why are you such an ignorant fool?

I guess what I was trying to say, for what it was it pounded pretty good and was impressive- for what it was. My friends thought I had a sub in the back...

Where are they now?

Trash.

They lived a decent life in my car until I sold them off. Then into my friends car and he blew them.

Why are you such an ignorant fool?

there you go. listen to this guy and he will be a friend and sell you some blown 6x9s !!! thanks buddy! :lol:

Most of the time its not arguing.

Sometimes people are misinformed and need to be corrected. Otherwise bad information propagates and your myths are born. Besides that someone else may get the short end of the stick and invest unwisely or poorly.

I'm not sure what to think. I know I would be way better off w/ subs in a box, but I don't have the room (please don't argue, i just don't want a box in the trunk and am going to have a RSTB). I might try hose 6x9 subs, but are there any decent 8's that will be ok free-air that won't hang too low? I'm looking for good brands that arent store brands (infinity, pioneer, etc.). I don't need a lot off bass, I just want some decent clean bass. If i want a lot of deep bass, I'll build a good box for my camaro.

those tang band look like your best option then if you dont want rear fill. or those pods I made were not too hard to make. the way I did those infinitys was also real easy to do and those buttons on the top there are to turn down the tweeters. once you decide what you really want you have some options there.