3400 build... ITS RUNNING!!!

19Cutlass94

This is an '04 engine so they should have fixed the gasket issue. I picked up felpro gaskets and new head bolts. ;)

Besides, when I put it in the car, Im not going to use dex-cool anti-freeze... Im going to use prestone.. what I always have used.

There really is nothing wrong with DexCool... It's just not the 100k mile coolant they tout it to be... It's perfectly addequate when changed at 40 or 50k miles.

Do be sure that if you're using Prestone, that you use the "all makes, all models" stuff, because it is very close to the same formulation as DexCool. The older green stuff not marked AMAM uses silicates (sand) to keep the corrosion down, whereas the AMAM and DexCool use chemicals. Cars designed for DEX (or similar) coolants do not have seals in the coolant system (let alone the thinner aluminum radiators and heater cores and such) made to handle getting beat on by these silicates, and they will cause premature seal and gasket failures. This is pretty common on bikes, because Honda's coolant is green, but it does not have silicates in it, so when people would buy the older Prestone stuff, they'd trash a water pump seal in short order. Also happened to my friend's '97 Z71 when he topped off the coolant (he didn't know that water evaporates out of DEX style coolants, and you're just supposed to top off with distilled water) with 50/50 green coolant and trashed a water pump seal within a couple months. The shop told him even then to never mix anything green with anything red/orange (although you can now with the AMAM stuff).

Mike

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 19Cutlass94

• Brian P

• AWeb80

• MonteCarloDude

I bought the bolt kit (reluctantly, it was $30) when I lost my spare set while building my 3400. The instructions did not mention anything like adding 1/2 turn or 1/4 turn. Instead it described torquing in two steps. One step around 89 in/lb, the 2nd step 18 ft/lb off the top of my head. This seems more like a process of being sure the manifold seats properly before torquing to spec.

GM instructions in the early service manuals do not mention them being TTY nor mention replacing the bolts on reassembly. If this person in charge said this was a fix, are the original bolts TTY?

I duno if they are TTY bolts but all the descriptions at napa say replacement recommended. I bought the head bolts for the 3100 cause I needed the one bolt for the engine bracket...

I bought the bolt kit (reluctantly, it was $30) when I lost my spare set while building my 3400. The instructions did not mention anything like adding 1/2 turn or 1/4 turn. Instead it described torquing in two steps. One step around 89 in/lb, the 2nd step 18 ft/lb off the top of my head. This seems more like a process of being sure the manifold seats properly before torquing to spec.

GM instructions in the early service manuals do not mention them being TTY nor mention replacing the bolts on reassembly. If this person in charge said this was a fix, are the original bolts TTY?

No, the earlier ones were just standard bolts. This is why the manual doesn't say to replace them. The new ones (apparently in the last year or 2) are apparently TTY and replace every time you remove them.

Mike

well I got the 1211 grind cam, LS6 springs and Comp Cams retainers today!!!!111

Picture-05094.jpg

Picture-05093.jpg

Picture-05089.jpg

Picture-05088.jpg

LS6spring

Picture-05086.jpg

Comp Cams retainer

Picture-05087.jpg

Stock cam

Picture-05092.jpg

heads

Picture-05091.jpg

Picture-05090.jpg

New 1211 grind cam!

Picture-05085.jpg

Stock on top, 1211 on bottom

Picture-05084.jpg

oh noes?!?!?! who stole my cam!?!?

Picture-05095.jpg

Just as an update, I got the cam installed, with the lifters and the retainers for the lifters ( not sure what the exact name of them are ) and Im currently waiting on LS6 spring seats ( since its hard to install the springs without seats :lol: ) and then the heads will be all set.

Ohh and Brian P, I talked to Ben at 60*v6 when I had to order the seats, and for the seals, I should be using seals from a '92 cavy with a 2.2l. Because the valve guide in the head wasnt cut down at all.

Just as an update, I got the cam installed, with the lifters and the retainers for the lifters ( not sure what the exact name of them are ) and Im currently waiting on LS6 spring seats ( since its hard to install the springs without seats :lol: ) and then the heads will be all set.

Ohh and Brian P, I talked to Ben at 60*v6 when I had to order the seats, and for the seals, I should be using seals from a '92 cavy with a 2.2l. Because the valve guide in the head wasnt cut down at all.

Yeah the 2.2L ones fit good. I only used a set from a Dodge 318 because at the time, the 2.2L ones weren't "discovered" to fit.

yeah I think they discovered that the cavy 2.2l seals would fit in late 06? I was reading about it somewhere. But if yours is holding up that good, I dont see where I cant get good mileage out of this one.

The seals have been great, last oil change I went 6000 miles on synthetic, it used 1.5 quarts that entire interval, which is incredible. The only weak point on these motors is the LIM gasket (which will trigger other problems like the cam snapping, or throwing bearings etc). As long as the engine doesn't ingest coolant, it will go for a hell of a long time.

What I wish I did was use a stronger timing chain, or just buy a new one. I re-used the original with 40k miles on it (now with over 80k) and I think it has stretched quite a bit.

yeah Im going to be using the stock timing chain... but its only got about 8,000miles on it so its just broken in... plus theres not very much play in it at all. What chain would you go with.. that cloyes double roller?

My engine is an '01 so I think it has the old style. I think the newer (yet thinner) chain is actually a stronger design. I would do the double roller but I think I have to machine the timing cover some to get it to fit. That's just not in the cards right now.

yeah mine should be the updated one. All I know is that it was pretty light haha

but when you had your 3100ECM running it with that cam and such... were you running lean in the upper RPM/WOT?

it was rich at idle (like most any cam) and went way lean under anything else, especially acceleration. That was with 3100 injectors at the time though. Using 3400 ones it faired a little better.

yeah cause I cant use the 3400 injectors.. completely different. Im going to be using the same pressure injector ( 43.5psi ) but a little bit more flow. Hopefully this will help out alot. Going from 19# to 21# might help that out a little bit... what was the a/f when you say way lean?

Get injectors from a '96-98 3400, they're direct drop-in, run off the same psi as your stock 3100's. I don't know how lean based on AF since I don't have a wideband, but the fuel trims in the PCM were maxed out positive (adding fuel)

Get injectors from a '96-98 3400, they're direct drop-in, run off the same psi as your stock 3100's. I don't know how lean based on AF since I don't have a wideband, but the fuel trims in the PCM were maxed out positive (adding fuel)

Ive been looking at injectors alot lately, and I can get injectors that operate at 43.5-45psi and are much higher flow rate that my current 19#. Cause over on 60*v6 they have that flow rate for that injector as 19# @ 43.5psi. Thats why I was looking inot the DOHC cause they are 21# @ 43.5psi. Unless they are wrong somehow...?

I can get different flow rates for the same multec style injector at the same psi ( well about 43.5-45 psi ) but thats much better than the 55psi ones. I cant use those at all.

I think before I get into what injectors I need to use... Im going to go with an innovate WBO2 to see what it looks like at the RPM levels... see where Im at.

Brian P, I was reading through the other thread here the high performance 3.1l... you used that Crane 272 cam? If so thats MUCH more lift/duration that Im running.

I think before I get into what injectors I need to use... Im going to go with an innovate WBO2 to see what it looks like at the RPM levels... see where Im at.

Brian P, I was reading through the other thread here the high performance 3.1l... you used that Crane 272 cam? If so thats MUCH more lift/duration that Im running.

I used the 272 on my old 3.1 MPFI. The 3400 is running with a custom regrind from Comp. Lift is relatively low at .460 intake and exhaust, but duration is more aggressive.

ohh ic ic

When you put your rockers back on, did you get new bolts to go with it? The torque spec looks like they are strech bolts, and if they are I deff dont wanna re-use them. But the dealer charges $3.10/bolt...