• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 19Cutlass94

• Brian P

• AWeb80

• MonteCarloDude

LOL Yeah 97 Loud Cut, Focus Power!!!!!!!!!!!!

19Cutlass94 Dont be hesitant to challenge that dipshit to a time slip comparison, that 3400 will wake up, I know I cant personally wait to get my 3500 components finished, I am almost done with my port and polish and a 60º Store Stage 4 cam!!!!!! Keep up the good work!!!!!

BTW 97LoudCut, why did you not yield to right of way?????

horse_car.jpg

I'm almost positive the valve guides are the same size as my 3400, so you'd need the same seals I used. Dodge 318, I think I looked it up for a '94 Ram.

Is it just different because of the type of spring your/we are using?

19Cutlass94 Dont be hesitant to challenge that dipshit to a time slip comparison, that 3400 will wake up, I know I cant personally wait to get my 3500 components finished, I am almost done with my port and polish and a 60º Store Stage 4 cam!!!!!! Keep up the good work!!!!!

See thats like exactly what I wanted to do. Although Im going to keep mine N/A. I think you said you were going turbo? Id love to have a big cam in it, 3500 top end, all P&P'ed. But I gotta do an OBD2 swap and Im not ready to do that right now. Yours being a 1997... yeah Im jelous! :lol: But by the time thats ready to happen, I think there will be some new products on the market helping me get this car into the 13's with that motor.

it's a little more complicated but I'll explain it.

3x00's have a 1-piece seal/lower spring seat. The LS6 springs don't fit on the 3x00 spring seats, so the seat/seal combo can't be used. You gotta run normal style valve seals. Early 3100 and 3400 heads till like 2000 had the same valve guide diameter as 3.1 MPFI, so you could just use 3.1 seals, and also use stock LS6 spring seats. later 3x00's from '01+ the valve guide is bigger, so the 3.1 MPFI seals won't fit, as well as stock LS6 seats. The Dodge 318 seals and I'm almost positive GM 2.2L seals are the right larger size. The spring seats, some people have enlarged the LS6 seat's bore to accommodate, others (like myself) bought ones that will fit. I bought the seats from ISKY Cams, the part # escapes me. I'll look it up on 60 degree. There might be others that work too.

I havent found any lower seats that will work with my heads and the LS6 springs. Unless you grind down the LS6 seats. I was talking to one of the guys from there and thats how he did it was take the seats from the LS6 and grind them down. Also found out that its the 1995 dodge 318 valve seals that I need. But if you find that part number, that would bea huge help cause then I could use that instead of grinding down

The seals should all be the same. '94 318, 95, it probably has a span of years. The ISKY seats are # 950-VSL they are .060 thick however. I'm running the slightly weaker LS1 blue springs, but if you're going to use the stiffer LS6 yellow springs, you may want to avoid the thick ISKY seat. If you feel confident you can enlarge the whole while still keeping it perfectly centered, then that's a viable option.

Im going to be running the LS6 springs. More than likely Ill have to have my mahcine shop here do that work for me. ( if they will ) and put in the springs and seals and new valves and such...

• 2 weeks later...

yeah I wish I could make progress faster! :lol:

but once I get the money, Ill be getting the Stage 1 cam from the 60*store, along with the custom pushrods, LS6 springs, and all that jazz.

Its slowly getting closer to being put in! :lol: I wish I could tune it though... Id be doing more, but really I guess its a good thing i cant tune cause it limits my spending! :lol:

One thing that I haven't seen on here, but you do want to make sure you do... The early 3400's seem to have at least as bad, if not a worse issue than the 3100 with the lower intake gasket deal... GM have fixed it with a different gasket and torque to yield bolts, so BE SURE YOU GET THE GM GASKET SET for the top end, and DO NOT reuse the bolts...

Mike

This is an '04 engine so they should have fixed the gasket issue. I picked up felpro gaskets and new head bolts. ;)

Besides, when I put it in the car, Im not going to use dex-cool anti-freeze... Im going to use prestone.. what I always have used.

they're NOT torque to yield bolts. How can you yield bolts with 18 lb ft torque? The ONLY difference with the bolts are the threads are coated with thread-locking compound.

they're NOT torque to yield bolts. How can you yield bolts with 18 lb ft torque? The ONLY difference with the bolts are the threads are coated with thread-locking compound.

You can't yield bolts with 18 ft/lbs... unless they're small diameter (like M4) and/or a soft alloy on purpose... The engineer in charge of this fix told my dad (who is also an engineer for GM... well... until Allison got sold anyway) that the bolts were torqued to their yield point so they'd stretch more when the engine got hot, and when it cooled down, would still have addequate torque on them, instead of compressing the gaskets when it got hot, then not having enough pressure when it cooled down. I remember that the guy said something about using the directions that came in the kit, not the old directions in the shop manual. I recall he said the directions in the kit were like head bolts, where you torque the bolts to a certain torque, then add 1/4 or 1/2 turn to all of them.

Mike