upgrading turbos

manualturbo

well i took the turbo off, there really didnt seem to be that much oil in the upper intake pipe or the turbo to intercooler pipe but there was quite a bit in the actual plenum and stuff. so im thinking maybe the compressor seal is bad/going bad.

so if i have to replace the turbo i dont think i want to replace it with another t-25. no lag is nice but i want a little more horse out of a turbo 3.1. so seeing as i own a 13 year old car i dont have much money.

i was wondering what kind of turbo would be the best for the 3.1. ive looked at different cars with bigger turbos like the grand national or the turbo t-birds, and the lebarons. would any of these be good replacements on the TGP? if i could i would like to keep with the crossover but i can always modify the downpipe if need be. would those T03's off the chryslers work if i was to take the exhaust side off the t-25 and stick it on the T03?

if anyone knows any other relatively cheap--doesnt have to be easy way to go any advice is welcome b/c i dont know what turbo will fit what, what turbines will be best or what turbos i can mix and match parts with and etc......

thanks guys,

mitch

90 tgp 5 speed

my 2 cents....

stay with the T25 or go with the T03 from the chryslers... preferably the T03 because they are a dime a dozen.... granted it is a small turbo, but it is still capable of producing serious psi... all you need to do is shorten the wastegate and your set... it will spool faster and produce more boost... hell, my buddy with a typhoon did that on his 17c and is puttin 18psi into it at about 2000 rpm... it spools super quick now... lolz... or you could get balzy and just disconnect the wastegate colenoid all together and dump like 25psi into your engine... hehehehe, but im sure you would promptly imbed the heads into your hoood.... but it would be entertaining at the least.

but seriously though... i dont remember if the T03 turbos have adjustable wastegate rods, but if not... simply cut about half an inch fromo the middle of it, go to a hardware store and buy one of those nuts that like an inch long and has threads that go opposite directions on each side, use a die kit to thread the rod, and there you have it.... 10 extra pounds of boost for all of about 2 bux at a hardware store.

just a thaught.

- Justin

Guest TurboSedan

i've thought about that too, since i have both the T25 & T03 turbos out of my cars right now. remember tho, when you get the custom crossover made make sure you use the Chrysler T3 flange, NOT a regular T3 flange. one bolt on the Chyrsler T3 flange is further out. i'd say the T03 would be quite an improvement over the T25 from the looks of it....i haven't studied compressor maps or anything tho.

joshua

would i be able to just switch exhaust housings on these two turbos? and if so would i be able to do it myself or have a pro do it? j/w cuz i might be visiting the j/y soon to search for a t03

thanks guys,

mitch

Guest TurboSedan

the T03 may be able to be reclocked but you'll still need the swing valve (aka elbow aka 1st part of dowpipe aka wastegate housing). i would reccomend a T03 from an *'89* Chrysler *Turbo II engine*, since those were the best of the best as far as factory turbo dodge turbos really. kind of hard to find one tho. for turbo upgrades & lots of other cool turbo stuff check out:

http://www.relentlessracing.com

&

http://www.fwdperformance.com

joshua

Unless you want to put a bigger flange on your x over which doesn't make sense unless you change the configuration of the pipes to accommodate the bigger flange and you want to change your down pipe (would be a custom made pipe) stick with the t25 of t28 style of turbo.

After a lot of research I got a t28 ball bearing hybrid, good for about 350 hp. You will still have to do some slight mods to the down pipe with a grinder. New water and oil lines, There aren’t many turbos out there with tube fitting lines there all banjo fittings. You may have to move you o2 sensor to the down pipe so you gott buy a tap. Depending on the compressor housing configuration you might have to rework the turbo outlet tube, mount the waste gate and a few other minor adjustments. And NOTHING for a turbo is cheap.

Your least expensive way is to have your turbo modified with different compressor and turbine wheels. That will still cost you $500.00 to $800.00.

If you decide to go with the t28 let me know. I took pictures of the whole process.

jud