rear window motor problem: manufacturing defect???

Crazy K

thats right. I am having problems with both my rear window motors in my 92 vert, and I think it is due to a manufacturing defect.

I have drilled out all the rivets and removed both rear window regulators with the motors attached. Both test good for continuity, but do not operate. I removed the casing covering the armature of the motor and was able to turn the motor by hand through it's range. both motors are "new" inside looking like they have only been used a few times with little wear on the brushes or where the armature is rubbed by the brushes(compared to a spare motor from a door that I inspected).

After reassembly both motors worked, but are very slow and stiff and sometimes get stuck at the end of their range. I have just re-dismantled both and removed the armature completely.... to discover.... that the gear on the face of the window motor is grinding heavily into the teeth on the swing arm that moves the window. you can see metal from the teeth being displaced by the grinding.

Damn GM. thoughts?

When I bought my convertible, neither rear window went down. One was easy to fix, the switch was all broken. Without the switch properly connected, the rear windows wont go down (if i'm remembering correctly). The other rear was a little more intensive. I removed the motor and gave it to my mechanic and said fix it. He gave it to his guy that rebuilds starters and alternators who took it apart and i guess just cleaned it. He gave it back to me and said there was nothing wrong with it (and no charge). I put it back in and I haven't had a problem with it since. That was 3 years ago. Is there anywhere to get new rear motors?

I had the same problem, it was disclosed to me when i bought the car that neither rear window worked. When i got her home, and inspected, i couldn't find anythng wrong. I tapped each one with a hammer a couple times and presto.................they have been working without fail for over a month now.

As for motors, i found two places that have them.

South Florida Window Lift [sales@windowmotor.com] they wrote me....

We have both motors. Each motor is $59.00, plus $9.00 shipping for each.

Here's the other one....

We have the window motors for your 93 Cutlass . The price is:$78.65 each plus shipping (this price includes a refundable core charge of: $10.00 each).

Most Motors ship within 1-2 business days, and all Motors come with a six month warranty.

PW-10-58-54 1993 CUTLASS - Power Window Motor - Driver Side - Rear 2 Door Convertible.

PW-10-55-55 1993 CUTLASS - Power Window Motor - Passenger Side - Rear 2 Door Convertible.

Or if you would prefer, please give us a call. 404-767-3378 ext. 204)

If you would like any other information about the motor please let us know,

hope to from you soon.

Thank You

Metro Parts Market.

I just had my right rear window quit working suddenly. Neither switch works for it. I'm going to try the hammer tap trick and will let you know what happens.

I will be "skimming" metal from the "swing arm cog" with a grinder tomorrow. and then lubing the hell out of it. when the motor works, it is actuallydisplacing metal from the teeth.

the motors are good, but the mechanism is binding and making it go slow.