do i really need front jounce bumpers and/or boots?

TurboSedan

when i installed the Intrax lowering springs in my Cutlass, i also installed KYB jounce bumpers/boots (they are one integrated piece). well it turns out that the Intrax springs provided so much drop, that the car actually sat on the jounce bumpers. this of course made the front end completely stiff as the car was right on the jounce bumpers. i had my brother raise the car with a hydraulic jack and slowly lower it while i looked at the jounce bumper. sure enough, the jounce bumper contacted the top of the strut before the car was even off the jack! since the KYB jounce bumper and boot is an integrated piece i can't simply cut it in half because then the boot would be gone. today i took the front strut/knuckle assemblies back out of the car and removed the KYB jounce bumper/boots completely, then put the strut assemblies back in the car. i wanted to see how much suspension travel their actually was. the front end of the car is probably close to an inch lower now (ALOT lower than my old Eibach springs), and i can actually bounce the car unlike before.

do i really need to put jounce bumpers back in, or boots for that matter? i would have to get the Monroe brand strut boots and jounce bumpers since they are separate pieces and i can easily cut the jounce bumper in half and still install the boot. my rear struts have no boots (coilovers) and the struts still lasted for a long time. i'm just wondering if i really need the strut boots/jounce bumpers up front or if i can do without them. the Intrax springs are really stiff and i can't see the suspension compressing that much anyway. besides, i drive the car carefully and it is no longer my daily driver anyway. also, a jounce bumper would take away more suspension travel....

anyone here with lowering springs running without jounce bumpers or boots? if not what do you use?

thanks

How could you be the first person to find this out? I have Intrax springs sitting here that will go on my project car as soon as everything is ready, and I planned on using a KYB setup as well. Tons of people use KYB's, and I'm sure they use em with the Intrax... sitting on the bumpers is sort of a big deal. Seems like they would break.

You sure there isn't something unique about your setup? Surely they wouldn't design springs that lowered the car enough to sit on the bumpers.

i gather his issue is using the KYB boots/jounce bumper, they are integrated into the same thing, making it imposable to modify the jounce bumper for the drop.

it's not the KYB GR-2 struts that are the problem, it is the KYB jounce bumper/boots. they are just too tall for the Intrax springs. maybe everyone else is just using stock jounce bumpers? anyway, the KYB jounce bumper/boots definately do not work with Intrax springs.

i gather his issue is using the KYB boots/jounce bumper, they are integrated into the same thing, making it imposable to modify the jounce bumper for the drop.

yup. they are just too tall.

i already threw my original (GM) jounce bumpers away dangit. i used those with the 1.5" Eibach springs and they were fine, i didn't even modify them. i would try using some stock jounce bumpers, but it would be such a PITA to pull them from a j/y car that i might as well buy new Monroe pieces.....if i need them.

I wouldnt run without them, but thats just me. I had to cut mine twice before I stopped bottoming out the front end. Ive only got about 1" of jounce bumper. Really I think any jounce bumper will work, as long as you can cut it...

Josh....I will have a set out of my 88 cutlass....would you be interested in them? $10 + shipping just cuz it's work for me to pull them.

So when I have these Intrax's put in with new KYB struts and HD mounts, I should have them use the stock boot and jounce bumpers and NOT buy the KYB book/bumper combo thingy? I would NOT have to cut the stock ones for things to work?

I love the combo thing in the rear, works so nice :sad:

nope, you definately don't want to buy the KYB boots/bumpers or you'll have the same problem i did. i would use the stock bumpers over again and just cut them in half if you have to (and from the sounds of it you will). as far as boots go, i don't know if you can reuse the stock boots over again with the Intrax springs or not? i'm planning on buying Monroe boots/bumpers for my car since i already threw the stock stuff away.

here is a pic of the KYB jounce bumper/boot - as you can see it is one piece and if you were to cut the jounce bumper section in half, you would lose the boot:

DSC02411.JPG

this is what you should get if you get new parts - the boot and bumper are separate pieces (McQuay-Norris brand shown):

DSC03311.JPG

DSC03312.JPG

the boot "clamps" over the bumper itself. you can only cut so much off and still be able to attach the boot to the bumper.

and i think this is where you would want to cut the jounce bumper in half:

DSC03314.JPG

DSC03313.JPG

I had the exact same set up and problem. I just cut out a section of the bumper and re-attached the boot to it. Front and rear ones. It really wasn't a big deal to do and they have been fine for the past 6 months.

My jounce bumper is down to about 1/2". :lol: I cut it in half, but then the spring settled more and I had to cut it again. You see where ther top part is where its thick... Ive got pretty much just that.

damn....i think i'm just going to try to run without any jounce bumper or boot. if that's all you have left of the jounce bumper how could you install the boot?

yeah, i just don't want to get new jounce bumpers and boots and then have to keep taking the struts apart to cut more off/keep messing around with getting it to work etc.

after seeing how low my Cutlass sits in the front now i think some shorter 245/45s might just be in order. the current 245/50s completely fill up the wheel well. if the tire doesn't rub the outer fender lip on bumps i'll be really surprised. should look really good once i get the rear coilovers adjusted down so the car sits level. i wish i could lower my Toro!

well, i'm thinking the only way to lower my Toro is to get a custom coilover kit kind of like my Cutty has or better yet a custom transverse monoleaf from FAF. i was looking at the rear suspension today and coilovers looked like a definate possibility; the only thing that looked iffy was that the OE air struts were pretty wide and i don't know if i could find a spring big enough to go around them and still fit in the upper spring pocket. why do i always have to get cars that are damn near impossible to lower easily without any problems? i was pretty bummed when i looked under my Toro after i got it and seen that damn transverse fiberglass monoleaf :lol: the rear end sits wayyyy up in the air :rolleyes: i tried disconnecting the air lines to the struts and that didn't do anything. i don't think the air compressor back there even works.

damn....i think i'm just going to try to run without any jounce bumper or boot. if that's all you have left of the jounce bumper how could you install the boot?

stock, the boot is much bigger than the bumper. Its not like the aftermarket where the boot holds the bumper...