Don's new ride.

kuwaitliberation

Well, today I had my first expierience with the dash. I am guessing the vacuum pump went out suddenly because the A/C was blowing through the defroster and floor vents. I opened the glovebox, removed the insides and disconnected the upper vent director. I then zip tied it in the up position so it would blow through the dash vents. It went from 100 in the car to 70 in about 30 seconds.

I always forget what a pain it can be to have a used car, sometimes. Especially when you want something to work and to get that you have to work first. I always carry a tool bag around in the trunk. You just never know when your car, or someone else's car is going to need a 3/8 socket to make it home.

I took apart the reciever for the remote keyless and took a very close look at all the solder joints. They all look perfect, actually. I hooked up my multimeter and found the three hot leads that tested OK. I only have one remote, so I have nothing to test it with. I shorted the programming jumper and it wouldn't lock/unlock and that was after replacing the batteries in the remote. So, I am going to guess remote problem. I am not sure how to test that separatly from the rest, but I will learn soon enough.

None of the steering wheel functions work, volume, A/C controls, etc. The cruise control is non-operational. The left rear window needs a little help when it goes up. The vehicle has suffered from dry rot due to heat and just sitting with stagnant air inside the car during the summer. It was obviously left out in the elements because it has suffered from it. The Texas heat can bring the interior of a car well above 180 F really quick. Every bit of velcro is now just some tattered remnants of what once was.

I took a close look at the carfax report. There was three years in row where the vehicle was driven only about 1,000 miles per year. That would explain the low mileage now. It has passed every inspection. I have every oil change report. I even have the original invoice and business card of the dealer.

It's hard to get excited about what will be when I have to concentrate on the here and now. I do want to repaint it. The paint is showing signs of Texas weathering. At least I can see that there is no rust. I will bring it right back to the original red.

Well, I'm signing off for now.

welcome!

and read this:

http://www.w-body.com/inside-stuff/keyless-entry.html

as for the vents being stuck in the wrong position, does your Cruise Control work? if both fail at the same time it is a good indication of a vac leak, as descrbed:

Bring her here to Austin Don, that A/C problem is likely in the vacuum ball, 3 way check valve, rotted vacuum lines or a combination. I've been through about every inch of my convertible, have all the service manuals, illustrations manuals, everything. We can get her fixed up. Though i have no garage. lol.

as for the SWRC. Do you have the original radio in the car?

Well, I sent some pics to the gallery, however they are awaiting approval. Hopefully, they will be up soon. In the mean time, I have attached one to this post.

Well, I have the great squeaking breaks. I am going to have to stop that really soon! There's nothing like cruisin around in your hot new ride and come to a stop next to this hot chick and your breaks are screeeeeeeeetching! Good way to get her attention, eh?

I have never worked on a vert before, so I am still trying to figure the dang thing out. I don't know what it is called, but the material that is below hanging off where the rear deck would normally be that has the drain hose (hope that describes it good enough, and from here on in this reply, I will call it "George"). I want to take George out and replace George with something that I would fabricate from particle board to hold some speakers. Yes, I am going to add some bass, but I am not going to rattle all the windows in Dallas with it. Just something small-ish.

By breaking down the top enough, I can see exactly where it would sit so I can fab the box to mold around it properly. I would use rubber stops to support the top when it is down so the bass wouldn't cause rattling on the top's mechanisms. I am also going to put 6x9s in the doors. I haven't figured out what I want to do in the dash yet. I don't want to replace them with the original speaker size, but probably will end up having to anyway. Also, the fabric cover where the speaker holes are is faded. I need to replace those. However, women LOVE their panty hose and they make them in every imaginable color, so I am sure I can find some nylon that will cover that properly.

Yea, the cruise control doesn't work. There are some cracked vaccum hoses under the hood as well. I am going to have a weekender just to find all the leaks. It sat and dry rotted, so that is where most of my challenge is. I imagine I will get the gas mileage up above the 16 it is at right now if I get all that crap fixed.

Thanks all! This is a great forum. Something specific for what I am driving. Good thing I don't have a Pinto, but I imagine there is a forum specifcally for that, too!

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.