Console juggernaut *Update 4/2*

Dirty Rockstar

It's not an International, so which symbol should I throw on the console?  

1. 1. It's not an International, so which symbol should I throw on the console?

• "Classic" rocket
    • "Contemporary" rocket
    • Other (SPECIFY!)

***POLL OPTIONS FIRST!***

IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

Well, my console has been a POS since last year, but with the move and all I haven't had the time to fix it.. I got the parts, my industrial glue gun, and went to town.. I wanted to add a boot, and let me say, adding a boot AND being able to use the pointer for gear indication was TOUGH.. It is almost impossible to get the proper length of the boot..

(I suppose using a 95+ shifter which is shorter than the 94, a 5 speed boot from a BMW, with a stock console doesn't exactly do wonders for the ease department..)

It is about 90% done, as I need screws, a new PRNDL indicator plate (Becasue apparently the white paint on the bottom comes off with water) and a new bulb for the pointer..

Please answer the poll.. I think it would add the final touch to the interior.. And let me know what you all think of the boot install.. I'm on the fence with this specific boot.. But I hacked the first one too small, so this was what i had left..

I still have the Aurora shift knob, and it is going to be used when I get my new Vert.. I will do a more Aurora-like installation of that particular knob..

Pics uploaded!!!

BEFORE (ick)

IMG_0872.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

AFTER BABY!

IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_0881.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

Im kinda diggin it.. Also picked up these guys for the front and back:

IMG_0878.jpg

not digging the lumina T handle, but otherwise I like. howd you manage to secure the boot? I really like the feel of the aurora knob, but theres no way to make it look right at the bottom, so I think I'ma go back to my booted T

I like the Lumina t-handle, though it'd be nicer wrapped in leather or something.

And, or that emblem, somehow inset it the console to it's level with the rest of the plate...and light it up!! That'd be fuckin sweet...and props to you for the amount of work you've put in already!

Had to give up your cup holder and everything ;)

Matt, before you start, I suggest getting a backup console top.. Here's what I did:

Take the console top, and disassemble everything.. YOu should be left with the silver piece with the 2 open spaces.. THis next part is exaclty why a spare would be a good call..

Notice on the bottom the plastic welds.. Yea, you guessed it.. Pop theblack pece with the nine or so plastic spots.. It will be tough, and is almost painful as you do it.. Once apart, find your boot.. MIne is shitty becasue it is from a 5 speed BMW.. I would gor for one off an Automatic car.. Like a Bananaville or Achieva..

I sanded the 2 halves around the area the boot would be "sandwhiched" between.. This is where i should NOT have used a 5 speed boot.. Keeping it as flat as possible, I glued the boot to the top part, let it dry, then glued the black part on.. The first gluing of the boot is just to keep the damn thing from moving about.. I recomment a clamp of some kind as your glue hardens to keep it as flat as possible.. Then just reassemble the top, and your console..

...I like the Lumina THandle.. I HATE the stock Cutty one, and I have an idea for the Aurora one, but I dont have a vert to try it on yet.. If you DO go back stock, can I have your Aurora knob Matt?

I have a translucent Rocket from an early CS sedan.. I can see about lighting it up.. I think GM uses vinyl, and if it's taken care of, I think it would last much longer.. I saw 2 mint ones at the UPull it today, but I didnt have that kind of money to get them..

Oh, and I will say this ONCE!

DO NOT WIPE THE BACK SIDE OF YOUR PRNDL INDICATOR NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU MAY WANT TO!!

Becasue you will wind up with a neat looking clear window WITHOUT an idea of what gear is what.. (By looking at it of course)

EDIT: 60 pt. may have been a bit large.

Oh, I definitely have a spare, but its flat black right now. I had the boot on earlier, and it was just kind of in there, not really attatched to anything, but worked out really well. As far as the aurora knob, Im not sure, I saw three today, but two were crispy, and one I just didnt bother grabbing (it was the second place i went). Sometime this week if it's nice I'll probably start getting stuff ready for driving it almost daily.

and yes, most of us have figured that out the hard way :lol:

Steve, could you post, or PM me how you got the indicator to work or your gear shift?? I broke that plastic sliding thing 2 years ago and have not replaced it. I might try this leather or something similar thing if I knew how to make the indicator correct when shifting

EDIT: Of course I know what gear I'm in..but if I sell this car it'll be one less thing to have to explain lol

Jeff, the Lumina indicator is a little different.. It uses a goofy thin piece of plastic, as long as the shifter span, and has an orange dot on it.. If I were you, Id go get a whole indicator assembly and switch it out (Take console out, pull the indicator setup out as one part..)

I am going to get some leather scraps, and try my hand at "The Baseball stitch" which matches the typical factory leather stitching patterns..

Jeff, the Lumina indicator is a little different.. It uses a goofy thin piece of plastic, as long as the shifter span, and has an orange dot on it.. If I were you, Id go get a whole indicator assembly and switch it out (Take console out, pull the indicator setup out as one part..)

I am going to get some leather scraps, and try my hand at "The Baseball stitch" which matches the typical factory leather stitching patterns..

Damnit, so GM engineered small things like the shifter indicator differently between the W-bodys...SHIT!....and yes that thin plastic thing is what I broke. It was seized almost a couple winters ago and I hammered it down into 1st gear to aviod crashing and the shifter went to 1st, but the thin plastic piece didn't move at all lol...

Oh well..maybe I'll try and rig something up (I still have the piece, it's just all cracked up..maybe I can fix it enough so it works again (gluing some plastic to the back of it) and then mounting the leather boot somehow lol..

Thanks for that Matt.. It made me realize what I HATE about the stock shift handle: That fuckin silver square plastic thing!

If you spy another of those boots, grab me one, PLEASE! :willynilly:

That fuckin silver square plastic thing!

If you spy another of those boots, grab me one, PLEASE! :willynilly:

what plastic thing? and I wish you would have said something yesterday, I coulda grabbed you one. I'll let you know when I go next, im back in indiana now

At the base of the Cutty handle.. THere is that silver part.. Your boot is either wrapped around it, or your broken off..

And Shaun, I lost my handle in the move.. Next UPull I go to (TO get my damn harnesses!!) I'll grab one..

What about the shifter handles from the earlier GPs?? Or are they the same as the Cutlass??

THeyre different.. I like those also.. But the gray may be "off" in a Cutlass interior..

Steve, I haev a 2nd gen GP cobra shifter if you want... I dont like them, but that's just me

Matt, that makes two of us.. I H A T E the cobra shifters.. If I could light them on fire at junkyards, I would..