Rear Window Replacement

95 BLKDOUT Drop Top

same with me, and I want to reglue it, but i think im holding out to find another one to replace it. my top has some tearing around the edges, but overall its not bad at all otherwise

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 95 BLKDOUT Drop Top

• Afubar

• Psych0matt

• Crazy K

i only got pics of the finished product but i can give you a step by step. where do u want me to start? the hardest part was jus gettin the stapples to stay but that wouldnt have been a problem if i would have used the right ones but yeah so u want me to start from taking out the old one?

taking out the old window:

1. undo the headliner from the frame hoops

2. unscrew the three rings holding the straps to the frame

3. pop the trunk and unscrew the plastic trim piece (with the third brake light) and remove it to expose the stapples

4. pop the stapples out from the bottom of the material

installing the new window:

1. transfer the straps from the old window to the new window including the white plastic rod in the material

2. install the rings and the straps to the middle frame hoop

3. Pull the material tight towards the bottom and re stapple it to the car. Make sure the the window fabric is under the rest of the top material

4. install the rear trim piece.

5. re install the headliner

raise and lower the top to make sure it folds properly and use a water hose to make sure it seals properly. after that its done.

It took me maybe 10 min to take out the old one then i waited all day for the UPS man to bring my new window. It probably took me about 45 min to put in the new one.

Thank You, thank you. Will now order a new window and do this.

It's people like you, that take the time to educate people like me, that make this board Great.

I will take picts of the process. Who'd a thunk and old broad like me could do so much repair work on her car. By the grace of this board, I've done shocks (on my 50th B'day) the alternator, brakes, and replaced the belt pulley (tensioner). I have the 3.4L engine. This board is Fantastic.

Thank You, thank you. Will now order a new window and do this.

It's people like you, that take the time to educate people like me, that make this board Great.

I will take picts of the process. Who'd a thunk and old broad like me could do so much repair work on her car. By the grace of this board, I've done shocks (on my 50th B'day) the alternator, brakes, and replaced the belt pulley (tensioner). I have the 3.4L engine. This board is Fantastic.

:thumb: I'm glad to see that the board has been so helpful!

And we've passed 6+ months of vert specialty sub-forum in operation!

95 Drop - so you replaced the rear window section in 1hr ?

thats the part thats about 200 USD.....but damn u did it quick.....

do you know how to replace an entire top ?

95 Drop - so you replaced the rear window section in 1hr ?

thats the part thats about 200 USD.....but damn u did it quick.....

do you know how to replace an entire top ?

well bring ur car by my place and come back the next day and then ill let u know if i know how to replace the whole top :lol:

the window section cost me about $220 with s/h

• 2 weeks later...

Have ordered the rear window (defroster glass) from EBay. The guy appears to have 100% positive feedback. Should be delivered 22 May. I know what I'm gonna be doing on the Memorial Day Weekend. Hotdog! I can hardly wait.

Oh, you can also add to the things I've worked on with my vert, the power antennae. I bought a new mast, then popped the plastic rivets off the motor, cleaned out the remains of the old mast, put it back together, reinstalled mast and it is still working.

I'll say it again, you guys rock!!

I'm in Oregon, BTW, so there is NO rust on my ride. Desert living does have its advantages. :dance:

• 2 weeks later...

Okay Guys, I received the window yesterday evening and as 10 minutes ago, I have it installed. Trust me, if I can do this, anyone of you can. I took pictures from start to finish and will post them next week. From start to finish, it took me 2 hours. That's time to hunt down the right tools and 45 minutes to remove that blasted tar sealing tape that covered the bottom of the window on top of the staples. Anyone know how to remove a tarry substance from a car's finish?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, This Forum Is the Tops!!! You guys are wonderful. Tommorrow is my 53rd Birthday and I feel on top of the world. Thanks for making the upkeep of my Cutlass so easy.

You Guys Rock!!!!

Thanks IronDog, the Peanut Butter Worked.

I also forgot some of the other stuff this board has helped with: thightening the linkage in the right door handle and replacing the left door handle.

Now all I need to know is what happened to my A/C. It worked fine right up until I had the Air Intake Gasket replaced. Had a real mechanic replace that. Now all it blows is hot air. My Chilton's doens't cover any of the parts of the A/C. Will be looking at fuses later today.

Thanks Guys.

Thanks IronDog, the Peanut Butter Worked.

I also forgot some of the other stuff this board has helped with: thightening the linkage in the right door handle and replacing the left door handle.

Now all I need to know is what happened to my A/C. It worked fine right up until I had the Air Intake Gasket replaced. Had a real mechanic replace that. Now all it blows is hot air. My Chilton's doens't cover any of the parts of the A/C. Will be looking at fuses later today.

Thanks Guys.

What kind of A/C? Is it the manual or the electronic?

well that makes me feel good about replacing it, although now the hard part is finding a good JY one, since i wont have the money for a new window/top for at least another year

Afbaur - What was the sellers name you got the top from on Ebay ?

95blk - what website did you get your top from ?

My one just blew up.

Thanks,