DEAD mouse in my vent system? ***UPDATED AGAIN ON PAGE 3 ***

blackbombshell95

Do these car's have a heater box, or something of the nature?? When my car was in to get the HVAC serviced/told nothing was wrong with it last fall..the guy sat in my car and told me when the COLD setting is fully set air bypasses the "heater box"...but when you put it all the way to HOT it redirects the air through the "heater box" to warm it first and then blow though the system....so, maybe the fucker is caught up in the heater box..but fuck if i know what the term "heater box" means...

yes, that is a possibility... but the heater core WAS replaced, meaning full access to the box.

HOW far did you delve into the thing? did you remove the ac condensor too? did you remove/replace the fliter mounted to the condensor?

I was there because when I put my temp setting to HOT, I lose like half the air pressure....this guy told me it was normal and I believe him I guess lol...just have to keep the temp slider a few ticks off HOT and it's pretty good haha

it sounds like a heater core restriction to me... or he could be correct, that by totally blocking off the heatercore bypass passage the heater core by itself is redusing air flow. should you ever have the will to do it, check and clean it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• blackbombshell95

• 1990lumina

• Crazy K

• Brian P

Do these car's have a heater box, or something of the nature?? When my car was in to get the HVAC serviced/told nothing was wrong with it last fall..the guy sat in my car and told me when the COLD setting is fully set air bypasses the "heater box"...but when you put it all the way to HOT it redirects the air through the "heater box" to warm it first and then blow though the system....so, maybe the fucker is caught up in the heater box..but fuck if i know what the term "heater box" means...

yes, that is a possibility... but the heater core WAS replaced, meaning full access to the box.

HOW far did you delve into the thing? did you remove the ac condensor too? did you remove/replace the fliter mounted to the condensor?

I was there because when I put my temp setting to HOT, I lose like half the air pressure....this guy told me it was normal and I believe him I guess lol...just have to keep the temp slider a few ticks off HOT and it's pretty good haha

it sounds like a heater core restriction to me... or he could be correct, that by totally blocking off the heatercore bypass passage the heater core by itself is redusing air flow. should you ever have the will to do it, check and clean it.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I did infact remove the evap and the filter and it was clean as a whistle. No turds NOTHING. The only thing that I didn't remove was the firewall between the cabin the engine bay! I've never had a mouse turd issue in the car. The heater core was replaced and the heaterbox was empty.

I don't understand how something in the coolant would cause the cabin air to smell?? I mean, if the heater core was leaking then it'd be understandable...but in't the coolant part of the HVAC system sealed off?? I mean my car doesn't smell like coolant when I turn the heat to the fully HOT position...

Just my opinion, correct me if I'm wrong..I like learning!

I don't understand how something in the coolant would cause the cabin air to smell?? I mean, if the heater core was leaking then it'd be understandable...but in't the coolant part of the HVAC system sealed off?? I mean my car doesn't smell like coolant when I turn the heat to the fully HOT position...

Just my opinion, correct me if I'm wrong..I like learning!

Actually you are absolutely correct. The only way I would smell something in the coolant system would be if there was a leak.

I think someone put a few drops of deer piss down your air inlet. Dead serious.

I sure hope not. Now answer this in a Gen I W-body. When I am using cold air is that recirculated air? And when i'm using hot air is that air drawn from the outside vent??? How many vents are their on a Gen I w-body that bring air from the outside in? The obvious one is the only one that I know of. How about one in the fender?????

I sure hope not. Now answer this in a Gen I W-body. When I am using cold air is that recirculated air? And when i'm using hot air is that air drawn from the outside vent??? How many vents are their on a Gen I w-body that bring air from the outside in? The obvious one is the only one that I know of. How about one in the fender?????

I beieve the only time it is 100% recirculated air is when you have the MAX setting selected..other wise I think it sucks in air from the outside most of the time... The whole only smelling the smell when you have the temp selector towards warm seems suspicious..just how exactly is the air being routed differently that hasn't been checke dor cleaned out already??

I beieve the only time it is 100% recirculated air is when you have the MAX setting selected..other wise I think it sucks in air from the outside most of the time

x2 just in "max". Do you get the smell with the AC on "max" and the temp on full hot?

my 3rd cousin put a drop of deer piss in your living room and you had to claim the house a loss

since when did this thread get moved to clubgp.com?

I don't even have to tell you. Thanks.

I beieve the only time it is 100% recirculated air is when you have the MAX setting selected..other wise I think it sucks in air from the outside most of the time

x2 just in "max". Do you get the smell with the AC on "max" and the temp on full hot?

I believe the answer to your question is Yes. But I could be wrong. So on that note Lets stop right here, and tomorrow after work i'll go to my car(10 miles from home) and remember if I had it on max setting or not.

But i'm positive of when I go from cold to HOT, does the smell enter the cabin. I Will verify this with lots of time and attention tomorrow.

UPDATE. This makes no sense at all. On every duct setting, (max upper, upper, upper/down, down/ defrost) if the temp control is on COLD i have no smell. And when I turn it to HOT the musty smell comes out. The smell is more like a 3 out of 10 now. It isn't that bad.

I even ran it in cold for 5 minutes and turned it to hot for 5 seconds and the smell came again. And once I changed the temp back to cold the smell went away. Bazaar eh?

And I noticed that my blower fan is making a noise. But whats even stranger is that when i turn the temp setting to HOT the blower motor makes an even louder constant noise?

start by changing your blower motor. then flush your coolant. That is all i have :willynilly:

I am going to change my blower motor next week. And i've already have fl ushed my coolant. I'm also going to pressure check my system thursday

Probably when the air is redirected through the heater box, it is harder for the fan motor to push the air, and it sounds like it's dying anyway, so the added stress of going through the heater box isn't helping...

I still think it has something to do with that area of the ventalation system...when it's redirected to be warmed up - something in that route has the urine, or dead mouse in it

I don't know, I haven't looked into that.

When you replaced the heater core, did you clean the plastic drip tray that surrounds this? I clean this usually with dow bathroom cleaner (due to coolant spillage from a bad core). Also the water drain tube is clear, right?

I don't know, I haven't looked into that.

When you replaced the heater core, did you clean the plastic drip tray that surrounds this? I clean this usually with dow bathroom cleaner (due to coolant spillage from a bad core). Also the water drain tube is clear, right?

The water drain tube is clear. Infact that was the first place we checked. We took a coat hanger and started to poke through that drain. And the drip tray was as clean as a whistle when we removed it. Luckily I didn't have a leaky heater core at the time of its replacement!

Thinking more along the lines of piss in that drip tray...but it was clean then..yeah..

Yeah but we have to think about why the smell only comes when the temp setting is WARM

Thinking more along the lines of piss in that drip tray...but it was clean then..yeah..

Yeah but we have to think about why the smell only comes when the temp setting is WARM

Waiting for someone to chime in if there is a seperate route the air makes when it goes through the heater box...even if just for a slight moment that's where the fucker could be!!

Sorry I don't know whether or not there's a seperate way the air goes when warming the air...free bump

Waiting for someone to chime in if there is a seperate route the air makes when it goes through the heater box...even if just for a slight moment that's where the fucker could be!!

Sorry I don't know whether or not there's a seperate way the air goes when warming the air...free bump

Thanks. I'm about to go do the dealership to see if they know anything on thursday.

• 4 years later...

I also had a horrible smell of death in my car recently. We turned on the A/C and hear a ruckus under the dash. Then the next day the most horrible smell started and got steadily worse. I took it to my mechanic who told me nothing could be in the vents. He acted like I was crazy. I told him there was a noise and he said it was paper. Anyway, 6 weeks later I can't frickin stand it so I took the glove compartment off and then unscrewed the blower fan and found THREE DEAD MICE IN THE FAN. I drove it down to the mechanic just to see his face. Try the blower fan if you have not already solved this mystery.