adding hud to my 94 cutty

rockfangd

hieveryone i have always loved hud and until recently i never even knew it existed on a cutty. i need to know what cuttys to look for in j/ys to get one. i really want one and i need to know how hard it is to do this. Will i have to change my dash, how much rewiring will i have to do etc... :willynilly: :willynilly:

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rockfangd

• Crazy K

• Bake82

• ManicMechanic

you can change your whole dashpad, or you can carefully cut a hole. Just make sure you get the mounting hardware and switch, but it should be already wired and have a plug down behind the console. I added one this summer, wasnt hard at all, just took a little time since I had to switch the whole dashpad

your car appears to have no SWRC, and therefor probably not autoclimate controls.

you will have to add the harness connector in that case (most likely)

my cars have the connectors, but I hacked a hole through my dash to install mine. takes time and patients but it can be done.

look at the HUD FAQ thread.

I did mine with a lot of research on this forum. My HUD was a plug and play but I had to cut a hole in my dash pad to make it fit. Dash pads are cheap where I'm at about $10 bucks so I practice cutting first before I cut a hole in the one I was going to install into my car. I also wanted to find a dash pad that wasn't warped around the defrost vent. I found mine HUD in a 92 two door International CS.

both of my pads were warped by the vent, but nothing some screws didnt fix on the new one. I always thought my old one was in really good condition, until I took it out and saw screws. Man does it work well

Thats how it goes. I didn't find a CS one until after I sold my car. Pulled it and sold it to a member here.

You can still use the GP HUD if you want. It's wired the same. After altering the outer trim mine didn't look all that bad. Before I cut it it looked terrible.

summer146.jpg :neutral:

But you could even mount the GP HUD dimmer below the headlight switch ALA 88-91 CS HUD. It would take some cutting of the IP carrier but I considered it...

on my ub3 cluster there is a connector towards the bottom near the shift indicator. anyone know what thats for. and it doesnt have digital climate control. anyone know where the harness might be if the car was wired for hud

on my ub3 cluster there is a connector towards the bottom near the shift indicator. anyone know what thats for. and it doesnt have digital climate control. anyone know where the harness might be if the car was wired for hud

if your car doe not have the auto climate it woun't be HUD wired.

ok so i am willing to bet it doesnt have the connector because nothing would ever be that easy for me, but does anyone know what the connector on the cluster is for. it looks like a 5 pin conector near the gearshift ind

• 3 months later...

well i know that it does not have the cnnectors because i have had the whole dash pad off already, But it is wired now. i still need to know what the connector on the UB3 is for though

i am just curious . i have done a bit of research and it seems that when i cut my dash pad tat i will have to cut into the defroster duct.

Ok, i did this....i have pictures somewhere, i'll see if i can find them. I cut my own dashpad AND had to add the wiring for it since my car did not have the wiring since it had no auto climate control. I did not cut into the defroster vent. You have to be very careful and do it outside of the car. Its not icredibly difficult!

READ the FAQ thread. the info for the 88-91 HUD install is about the same.

yes, you cut into the defrost ducting, but then you seal it back up. I haven't sealed mine up yet, but thats in my non-winter car.

George, like I said I will take a pic of one that was cut. I am almost certain that the defroster was NOT cut into. I will know within a couple days!

ok maybe it is just gen 1 that you have to modify the defrost. but not 2nd gen. Can someone confirm this

I installed a 91-94 CS hud into a cs. the ducting had to be cut but can be closed up.

well bake82 is supposed to send some pics and measurements for me

Give me till Wednesday and I'll have some for ya!

well bake82 is supposed to send some pics and measurements for me

Give me till Wednesday and I'll have some for ya!

got the unit but i need some sort of measurements. I see exactly where the top mounts but i need to know exactly where to cut the hole and i definately cannot start cutting without measurements :redface:

Ok so i cut the opening into the dash tonight and i would much rather have found the correct pad than cut mine. I am exhausted and it is still not perfect. I need to know how to secure the unit and the plate because even with the plate it is not tight. And also what is a good recommendation for the defroster vent that i had to cut into. Does anyone have a charcoal hud dash pad.? i am curious to find out exactly how much it would be to be shipped. I am hoping i did not screw it up when i cut the pad. Can someone possibly give some insight. thanks. /I can send pics if needed