'90 Lumina Euro cranks, but won't start

vtirocz

As the subject says, the car cranks, but will not start :evil:. The engine was running fine the last time I shut it off, then went to start it the next morning and it wouldn't start.

Here's what I've checked:

1. No codes from the ECM and everything is normal when I pull the codes.... I assume ECM is ok.

2. Seems to have adequate fuel pressure in the rail.

3. Ignition module checks out ok (checked it myself and had Autozone check it on their machine).

4. I'm assuming all of the coils, plugs, and wires did not go bad at the same time.

5. THERE IS NO SPARK (used one of the spark testers from autozone).

6. Pulled one of the plugs, but could not tell if there was any fuel on it.

I"m leaning towards it being the crank position sensor, but what else could it be with the conditions above. I don't want to just start replacing parts and wasting money without knowing what the problem is.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim

I"m leaning towards it being the crank position sensor, but what else could it be with the conditions above.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim

that seems like a good assumption to me...

5. THERE IS NO SPARK (used one of the spark testers from autozone).

I"m leaning towards it being the crank position sensor, but what else could it be with the conditions above. I don't want to just start replacing parts and wasting money without knowing what the problem is.

check each of the plug wires to be certain.

do you have a tach? a tach shouldn't move if either the CPS, or ICM are bad....

CPS's tend to crack anyhow with age. replace it, you might look in FAQ for assistance.

Thanks for the replies. I do have a tach and it does not move at all when I crank the engine... stays at 0 RPM. I guess this points towards the CPS as well, right??? Any other input?

Thanks,

Jim

crank sensor tells the ignition control module all it needs to know so if it isn't functioning correct or at all your engine isn't going to start/run very well. you can check the wiring from the CPS firstt hough, as that is a free thing, and I've heard of the wiring getting melted to hot engine components and shorting out...

crank sensor tells the ignition control module all it needs to know so if it isn't functioning correct or at all your engine isn't going to start/run very well. you can check the wiring from the CPS firstt hough, as that is a free thing, and I've heard of the wiring getting melted to hot engine components and shorting out...

Yeah, that happened to me with my old 92 sedan. The wire rubbed itself bare, and when I would take off from a stop, the bare part would touch the block, thus grounding the signal out and the car would die. Took a while to diagnose since it would start and idle fine most of the time.